Literacy Workstations vs. Independent Reading with RRJ

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherlissa, Jun 9, 2010.

1. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 9, 2010

Okay...I am earning credit hours for my Rank 1 (in KY it is the program above your Master's Degree) and setting up a research project on comparing the effectiveness on reading with classes doing Literacy Workstations (think Debbie Diller) vs. Independent Reading with Reading Response Journals. Does anyone know any books or articles about comparing the two?? I personally believe in Independent Reading with RRJ but I always feel guilty when other classrooms have fun workstations for students and my students are reading. (I assign Independent Reading with RRJ while I work with small guided reading groups)

Any advice, suggestions, or personal preferences would be greatly appreciated. Which one do you think is more beneficial?

3. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jun 9, 2010

Nothing will help them more than READING. You should never feel guilty about that.

4. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

Thank you for responding. :)

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

I wish we didn't have to do stations!

6. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

A few books that I read that talk about how kids should be reading more are...The Book Whisperer, Reading In The Zone, The Daily 5 and Reading Essentials.

All of these books have opened my eyes to what kids really need to be doing during literacy time..READING!! It seems we have them doing everything under the sun, except read for extended periods of time.

My kids will be doing a lot more reading this coming year and I'm really working on building up my classroom library!!

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2010

I started having my kids read a lot more in class 2.5 years ago and added in the daily 5 this year. I am so impressed with the improvements in their reading skills by making such simple changes.

8. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

I know that having my students read independently rather than do workstations has shown great success...what I worry about is that handful of students that no matter what you do...they just won't read. I have tried putting a variety of reading material in their hands...but nothing. Some kids just don't like to read. Of course, there are always those that start out dreading the reading time and by the end of the year, I can't keep their attention on lessons because they won't close their book that they are reading independently.

9. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

What do you use for RRJ ? Are the responses open-ended, or do the students answer more specific questions? This is something I think would be beneficial, but I am wondering how to best use it. I realize it would take a lot of modeling. Thanks!

10. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jun 21, 2010

I start the year with lots of examples of response letters from past students and letters I have written about my reading. I model different things they can write about. Sometimes it's a prompt based on a mini-lesson, but eventually it's their choice. I just require them to tell me a "snippet" of what their book is about and then show "deep thinking" through a connection, prediction, new learning, question or visualization. We always have a list of letter ideas they can write about pasted in their journal and posted on the wall.

11. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

I do the same as Gopher4. I model and show what deep thinking is and then I go over a list of various responses they can do. Throughout the year, I teach the comprehension strategies so when I get to that particular lesson, I expect to see their responses reflect that. You can google reading response journal and find several lists.

12. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Jun 22, 2010

Thanks for the replies. I will look into it.