Literacy Workstations/Centers - Is this too simple?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1stGradeRocks, Aug 11, 2012.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Aug 11, 2012

Is this too simple for literacy workstations/centers? I will have 4 groups that last 15 minutes each. The groups would be:

* Guided reading group with me
    * Computers/LeapFrog - students would rotate computers on a daily basis
    * Listening - I will have baskets with personal tape players and books on tape in them that they would take to their desks
    * A word work/phonics center that would change on a weekly basis - I might have 2 different activities for the week so that only 2 or 3 students are working together at a time. Eventually I hope for this to be differentiated based on students' needs.

Students would rotate together throughout the guided reading/ literacy workstation time with their group.

Does this sound too simple? I see classrooms where there are 10 or more literacy workstations and I just don't know how they manage it.

If I do the above - How do I get started? I would like to start meeting with guided reading groups a.s.a.p, but I want to make sure to take plenty of time to introduce procedures.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2012

No, it's not too simple, BUT there are a couple of things I would add. Students need to read, and often, so I would add a "read to self" station and a "buddy reading" or "read to someone" station. Also, don't forget writing! Have you read The Daily Five?

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 11, 2012

I would only use Read to Self and Partner Reading if you know students independent reading levels. I completely agree with having students spend more time reading, as long as it's structured. I have big, big issues with Daily 5 as I've seen it implemented. I've only seen it implemented incorrectly.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 11, 2012

1stgraderocks- what will they do with listening center?

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 11, 2012

Can you explain how you have seen it implemented incorrectly? What are the issues you've seen? I'd love to know your observations so I can reflect on my own practice.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 11, 2012

They need to be reading and writing more. Check out Daily 5 as other posters have suggested - it's a great framework and you don't have to keep creating centers, because the kids are reading. The Daily 5 also walks you through a schedule of specfically teaching the procedures. DO NOT RUSH THROUGH THE TEACHING AND PRACTICING! You will pay for it later. Take the time now to thoroughly teach and practice each job you would like students to do, otherwise your guided reading time will be ineffective as you constantly try to redirect the students who are supposed to be working independently. I take 2 months, but I also have a lengthy assessment I have to administer with each student 1-1, so it takes me a while to get going. But everyone learns to read.

8. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Aug 12, 2012

Thank you everyone for your responses. I forgot to add in my original post that they will be reading independently out of their book boxes during Reading Workshop which is a separate time slot. I will also try to incorporate some buddy reading during that time. We also will have a separate time for Writing Workshop.
    Kat53 - they would listen to books on tape at the listening center
    Yes - I have read the Daily 5. I am not sure if the way my literacy block is scheduled will allow me to fully implement it though. I am definitely planning on using the guidelines to introduce read to self and buddy reading during Reading Workshop.

So based on that, what are your thoughts?

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2012

Like Miss Scrimmage said don't rush the teaching & practicing of the routines. I know we all want to jump into doing small groups but they need time to learn the routines & procedures of the classroom.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 12, 2012

I used Daily 5 when I taught 3rd grade. My kids LOVED it! The concerns I had at that time are:

1. A lot of wasted time during read to partner. Too much socializing.
    2. You have to stay on top of the kids & keep track somehow of who is going where. I had a group of students that no matter what I did would try to sneek over to the writing instead of doing whatever they said they were going to do.

I do something different in K

Listening (they have a response sheet to complete)
    Word Work
    Book Corner
    Write the Room
    Math
    Writing
    Computer (I only have 1 computer)

I assign the groups and they rotate. I assess my kids and basically rank them high to low. I then divide them in half. I take 2 or 3 students from each half and put them in a group together. When I want to pull a guided reading group, I just call them by name & they leave their center & come to me.

I'm working on making the word work more differentiated, I did an okay job last year, but it's a goal of mine for this year.

It's usually such that I have 1 student from each center with me.

Does that make sense?

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 12, 2012

I think it is a good start, you'll adjust it as needed to fit your class and needs. The one thing I would add right now is a listening resonse sheet. I start with something like:
    Name:
    Title: (Copied from the cover, I tell them to stop when they get to the end of the line on the page because some of the titles are very long)
    Did you like it: (yes/no or smiley faces to color)
    Draw your favorite part:

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 12, 2012

At my last school, one grade did Daily 5 and Cafe. On top of the read to self and partner reading, they also did AR. So on any given day, independent reading took up the majority of the reading block. I also didn't see any teaching of using strategies. There were no literacy centers and minimal phonics work. Just independent reading. Im thinking maybe the grade level didn't fully understand how to implement it, but I also dont know if I know how to implement it either!
    I really wish I could have seen what it is supposed to look like in a highly functioning room. How much time should read to self and read to partner take for a first grade classroom?

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 12, 2012

By the end of the year I do 10-15 minutes of each every day. I teach mini lessons on specific reading strategies before students read independently. During Read to Self I meet with a levelled reading group.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 12, 2012

I won't say my room is highly functioning, and I tend to do a hybrid approach to Daily 5, because I add a computer rotation, but it works. Read to Self and Partner Reading vary greatly from the beginning of the year (5 minutes) to the end (hopefully 20-30 minutes) and from class to class (year to year) because of behavior or ability issues. Even non-readers can "read," though, because there are three ways to read a book: Read the Pictures, Read the words, and Read to someone else (there's also retell, a huge skill).

15. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

I think I would like to have literacy workstations of mixed abilities while I call guided reading groups? To those of you who do this - how do you manage rotating the literacy workstations and calling your groups? If a timer is set for the workstation rotations isn't that a distraction to the guided reading groups? Also, how do you make sure that everyone does all of the workstations if you call groups from the workstations instead of making the guided reading group one of the rotations?

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2012

My students are not allowed to leave their station until I tell them to. Which means when I've completed a guided reading group (or 2). Since the work I have them do at each station is not a grade book grade, I don't worry about them missing a workstation. I figure over the course of time they will get to each station.

17. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Aug 16, 2012

Kat53- daily 5 is really more of a routine and way to set it all up. There aren't any literacy workstations really in the format. The bulk of it is independent reading by yourself, with a friend, by listening, etc etc.

There should definitely be mini lessons, strategies, etc that should be taught. They aren't embedded in daily 5... Just the first 20 days of getting the whole routine set up. I think everybody tailors dailyb5 to meet their own needs and the needs of their kids/ standards. I usually just do the daily 3. :)

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 16, 2012

For the past 4 years, I have grouped my kiddos strictly by ability, and the homogenous groups rotated together. This year, I've got mixed ability table groups (H, MH, ML, L), and I plan to have them rotate together, and to call my homogenous guided reading groups separately. That way, if a child needs help, there is someone in their group who can possibly help them, preventing my guided reading instruction from being interrupted. Of course, I have to identify my computer experts, etc., before I can develop them. I try to have the kids "ask three, then ask me," but with 1st graders, it doesn't always work.