Literacy work stations in 3rd grade and above??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 31, 2011

I am reading the Debbie Diller books and am fascinated with her room organization and literacy work stations. I see a lot of references to primary classrooms, but I teach third. I'd love to hear from a third grade teacher (or above) about how these work for you. I'm really contemplating removing my teacher desk, too! Please share how you have incorporated these stations into an "older" classroom!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2011

I keep my station like activities in bins around the classroom. The overhead station is on my overhead cart, the library station is in my library, newspaper materials is by my computer, listening station is near my stereo, etc.

But I've recently moved to more of a daily 5/ workshop type of model, so less stations. Some years I still have a newspaper station depending on my kids, some years a poetry station, I just go by interest.

4. historynut

historynut Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I've used bins like mopar. Last year I re-purposed some old science boards and used those. They had the instructions for each station and examples on them. Most had either a bin or a folder that went with them.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 31, 2011

My stations are stored in tubs. Some needed the longer bins because of the materials so my advice would be buy the bins after you have your activities.

I used letter sounds and working with words when I taught second and thought it would be too easy with fourth graders but it turned out that some kids needed that practice. I also had a sight word station, poetry, newspaper, writing, spelling, listening, buddy reading, big books, vocabulary, dictionary and thesaurus, fluency, grammar, and a special projects station.

The special project station isn't a DD inspired station, but one born out of bribery with the kids! It has craft projects from Oriental Trading. The kids pick one then must read the directions to construct the craft. The thermometer and picture frame crafts were especially popular.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2011

When I student-taught 3rd grade, I used a modified version of the Daily 5.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2011

In my school, all teachers are expected to some kind of literacy works stations. My district looks down a bit on D5 because we believe interaction is important (although more so at the younger grades). We still think the D5 book is good and gives great idea for anchor charts and getting kids' attention, we don't adhere to their version of centers.