Literacy teachers

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by jd123, Dec 29, 2006.

1. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Dec 29, 2006

I've seen the term Literacy teachers, but I have to admit, I don't know what literacy teachers do. Do they work with small groups from different classes and practice reading skills?
    Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2006

I consider myself a teacher of literacy- I'm a second grade teacher and literacy is at the heart of everything I do. I integrate reading and writing across the curriculum, utilize literacy centers, individualize reading and writing instruction to meet learners' needs. I also teach a college class in early childhood literacy. We have a staff developer in literacy in my district, we also have resource room teachers and a pull out program for children who have struggles in literacy.

Are you seeing this term 'Literacy teachers' in your professional readings, job listings???

4. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Dec 30, 2006

Our district has Literacy Coaches. These are teachers who teach the teachers how to teach literacy in our classrooms.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2006

Our staff devloper is essentially a literacy coach. We're part of the Columbia Teachers College reading and writing initiative.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2006

We did a 3 year research project with literacy. We did have some coaches to help us get started, but it's the TEACHERS who are the literacy teachers, and it's for all kids in a regular classroom setting.

We use a variety of methods to teach kids to be literate within our specific area. Being "literate" in math is a whole lot different than being literate in, for example, reading class.

I picked up a few neat ideas. Of course, I think it was easier for those of who teach language, writing, and reading because our curriculums are literacy rich to begin.