Literacy teacher must haves?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherGreen, Mar 19, 2012.

1. TeacherGreen

TeacherGreen Rookie

Mar 19, 2012

Hello! As a teacher appreciation gift, my principal has given each teacher $100 to buy school supplies. I'm a third grade literacy teacher. I don't teach math-just reading and writing. I want to use that money to buy things that I normally wouldn't spend my own money on (considering sites like Lakeshore Learning). Any must haves for a 3rd grade literacy teacher? I have a lot of ELLs in my class, too. Thanks :)

3. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Mar 20, 2012

Really? You don't know what to spend it on?
    Do you have enough books? How about books on Cd? Do you have a listening center or Personal Cd players for books on Cd? Now is the time for that "Gee, I wish I had..." item.

I could spend $100 in a heartbeat.

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Mar 23, 2012

I'd buy multiple copy sets of books to use with my students. I'd want a solid set of poet anthologies and a class subscription to one of Cobblestone magazines for their wonderful non-fiction essays.

I would not buy skill set blackline masters. These are not not literacy.

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2012

I just saw you said you're a third grade teacher, so this might not be as relevant. I'm in special ed and I would be having a hard time choosing between some more Wilson materials (in theory it sounds so easy to make your own flashcards and word lists... in practice it is MASSIVE PITA) and some tactile manipulatives like touch phonics or reading rods.

But for specifically third grade, assuming most of your kids are somewhere around third grade level and would be going elsewhere if they needed the type of intervention I do, I'd probably lean more towards a class subscription to a magazine and/or website. There are a number of websites that have lots of materials and come out with more throughout the year, so if you have a printer and plenty of paper available you might do well with that. Otherwise, do you have enough books? ebooks/books on tape? Dictation device for writing?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

Words Their Way sort masters books

Leveled benchmark books for assessment

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2012

I think every teacher is very different when it comes to spending money. I think you have to look and see what it is that would really help you as a teacher and your students. Personally, I would spend half of the $50 on a 1 year subscription to edhelper.com. I get so many tests and worksheets from that site. Then, I'd actually go to Lakeshore and see for yourself what books or items might be helpful to your classroom.

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2012

That's a good one, didn't think of that. In fact now that you mention it I should get myself some!

9. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Mar 25, 2012

You know what I've always wanted that I've seen advertised for the past several years in Lakeshore Learning/Really Good Stuff catalogues? It's a set of books published by Scholastic, called Grammar Tales--a funny picture book to go along with each part of speech (and maybe some other grammar/word study type skill) that goes through the rules and gives examples, etc. I teach upper elementary students who are mostly low performing academically, and they LOVE picture book read alouds, so it would be great to have something like this as either an intro or review for each new grammar skill. But I think the total cost of the set comes to something like $50 or more (and you can't buy the books separately) so it's staying on my wish list for now.

10. Tek

Tek Comrade

Mar 27, 2012

Awesome, I hadn't heard of Grammar Tales yet. I just looked it up. Is it aimed toward a specific grade? I see you're using it with your upper elementary because they're mostly low performing. I wonder if it would be a good resource for average performing upper elementary as a quick review though?

11. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Mar 27, 2012

It's still on my wish list, so unfortunately I haven't actually had a chance to read/use them in my classroom. It seems to be aimed at grades 3 through 5, so I think they'd go over well in any of those grades. Even if they are a bit below the class's level, I think the kids would still get something out of it.