literacy stations

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by love2teach, Feb 12, 2008.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2008

Okay, I am in need of some changes to my buddy reading and listening stations! I am all for getting rid of them and replacing them with something else or putting some gimmick there to make it more fun! Any ideas?????????????

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Feb 12, 2008

I think I have to ban the listening station too! They keep breaking the walkmans! Since your kids are more independent readers, why not make some task cards of options to do at Buddy Reading. It might gine them more direction. There are also those cool retelling cubes, they love anything along those lines.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Feb 12, 2008

I have some cheap sunglasses (shapes like stars) with the lenses punched out. They get to wear these with their buddies. It is fun for them and I think I got a pack of four at the Dollar Tree. They were with party favors.

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 12, 2008

Oh, I took the walkmen away a long time ago!!! I'm back to the old fashion list. station where everyone has to read the same book!! Gone are the days of kids picking their own book to read!

I like the task card idea for buddy reading.....do you have any examples?

Ohhh Sara, the sunglasses sound cute!

6. little317

little317 Groupie

Feb 12, 2008

I want to go back to the traditional listening station, but all of the equipment in our media center has either a)stopped functioning or b)eaten tapes. So it's either use the walkmans or buy my own system....I've getting very close to investing in one.

7. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 13, 2008

At my buddy reading station, I bring in stuffed animals that I rotate in and out. They get to pick their stuffed buddy to read. They love it!

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Feb 13, 2008

Speaking of stuffed animals. I'm having the hardest time getting the kids to "read" to the animals....they seem to play more than read. How do you handle this? Are the stuffed animals hand held size or are they bigger. I think mine may be too big so there is more temptation to play. What are your thoughts?

9. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 13, 2008

I really stress how sad it would be if the animals had to go home.. that usually stops MOST of them. For the repeat offenders, they can't read to the animals, they have to read to another child. Mine range in size from palm size to bigger than a pillow. They especially love the big ones. The really fluffy ones tend to become pillows, but as long as they are reading, I don't mind too much.