Literacy Stations....AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by love2teach, Nov 23, 2009.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2009

I feel like this is my neverending saga!!! I am never quite happy with what I have!~
    This year my 1st graders need major major help with word recognition and reading fluenlty. THey love to sound out and sound out every word they come across!!
    Because of this, I want to give them more time to work on acutal reading (not building words or manipulating sounds....they are good at that!) Aside from Independent reading, partner reading, and sentencec structre work...what can I do?!

ps....read the room is not an option for me.....it is not allowed!!!!

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 23, 2009

What about illustrating poems? I teach 3rd, but we do a "Poem of the Week" - we read it aloud in class, practice using expression, look for patterns, etc. But, for one of my literacy stations, they get to illustrate the poem. They have to read it to know what to draw, and then maybe they could read it with a partner??

Can I ask why "Read the Room" is not allowed??? That's such a good one!!

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2009

I do have a poem station but honestly feel like my lower readers are not reading the poem, but just remembering what it was about from the whole group lesson and drawing a picture to match. No real reading going on!

As for read the room......the district feels that it is not effective enough, and too much time off task distracting others as they walk around the room.

5. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Nov 23, 2009

What about a drama station where they can retell stories or practice simple reader's theater

6. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Nov 23, 2009

I second the drama station.

7. word girl

word girl Rookie

Nov 24, 2009

I like everyone else's ideas. Also, you might try a sight word "I SPY" type game. Students lay out about 10-20 index cards with sight words they are working on, and take turns doing "I SPY" . For example, "I spy a word with 3 letters, starts with h..." This game should be modeled in morning meeting, but once they get the hang of it, they really like it!