Literacy project ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mommer, Dec 15, 2014.

1. mommer

mommer New Member

Dec 15, 2014

Hi,
    I'm going to another country for a couple weeks next month and I'm looking for ideas for a literacy project for children. I can focus on pre-school to middle school--I have no preference I just want to help. If you have an idea just for a certain age group/grade please share as I am open.

It is a hot and humid area (near the jungle), so bringing paper items isn't recommended (unless laminated). Many of the parents are illiterate, and many of the children don't have books at home. Anything to do with writing, phonemic awareness, sound blending would be great! Also for educating the parents, I was thinking of making a soft flip book for them but I don't have much to spend. Something inexpensive, easy to pack, and light would be a plus.

Thanks for any ideas!

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2014

The Florida Center for Reading Research has some cool resources on their website. Of course most things would be paper related for literacy and have to be laminated. You can laminate at most Office Supply stores or Lakeshore if you have one near you for a pretty reasonable fee. Good luck.