Literacy Night

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by KWLme, Jul 10, 2006.

1. KWLme

KWLme Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

I am thinking about approaching my principal with the idea of proposing a Literacy Night at my school. It is k-8, but I'm not sure if the middle school would want to participate. I suppose it would depend on the forum. I'd like to see it as school-wide, but k-5 would be better than nothing. Have any of you ever planned or particpated in a Literacy Night? I'd love to hear some ideas - what worked, what didn't. Any websites that you might recommend?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

Ooooh, that sounds wonderful. It would be a great bonding activity for families in the school. I'd like to hear from others who have done this, too.

4. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 10, 2006

The year before last we did an art and writing night. Is this something like you might be interested? My kindergarteners had been reading and talking about the book Elmer. So for art and writing night, they created their own paper collage Elmer's and we wrote about what made us special. It was a wonderful night.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006

We hold literacy nights 2 times a year. It's a great way to get families in and learn new things to do with their child(ren). One idea is to base a night around reading strategies like susan zimmerman's 7 Keys to Comprehension http://www.susanzimmerman.com/7keys.html You can set up stations in your school that parents and children visit during the night and learn/practice these comprehension strategies. At each of these stations it's a "make and take"- so they not only learn, but have something to take home. We've done story retell gloves, puppets, bookmarks, etc. We have a book station where each child gets a free book before leaving. Some themes we've had are PJ Night, Jungle Night, Circus Night "Under the Big Top", CSAP, etc.

6. KWLme

KWLme Rookie

Jul 10, 2006

Hi AZKinderTchr, for the evening I'm envisioning something more along the lines of what Mable is talking about. Our art teacher does her own ART Night Each year, and it's very successful. I like your ELMER idea, and would definitely recommend it to one of the teachers to use as their booth.

7. schoolmom

schoolmom New Member

Oct 22, 2006

There was a great program at my kids school last year. For three weeks each child in the school was challenged to read 20 minutes a night for five days, every week. They had papers sent home that the parents signed and child brought back to school. If the kids meet their school's minute goal then they received a reward.
    The reward was based off of a book called "Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot". It's a great book about a pilot in World War ll who dropped chocolate and other candy to children. The reward was that a real pilot flew over our school several times and made a chocolate drop. Some candy bars had parachutes and some did not. It was great!!! We had the kids wait against the building until the end of the final drop and all kids knew to only get one and help a younger student if needed. I hope this helps.

8. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Oct 22, 2006

My kid goes to literacy night every year. They are encouraged to bring a pillow, sleeping bag, and their favorite book.

They make pizza together, and the kids cuddle up with a good book. That's about it, but they all seem to like it.

9. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Oct 23, 2006

We have had Literacy Night at my school for several years. Each year, the teachers do something in their rooms and the parents rotate. We each had a hands-on activity or strategy to help the parents help their child. The parents really got into it. We also do a Math night in similar fashion. Some parents want to help their child, but aren't sure where to begin. We even "cooked" with the parents showing them how to incorporated math and reading. We played "Literacy" games. It was a lot of fun. It does take some effort, but in the end it was worth it.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 23, 2006

I'm with the idea of showing parents how to incorporate reading into everyday life. It's amazing how many teachable moments are out there.

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Companion

Oct 23, 2006

We just had our literacy night last week. I was the chair. It went great we had over 200 families attend. Here is what we did. The families rotated between 4 stations. Each session was 20 mins. long. (Plenty of time) They moved around the following stations.
    1. Book Fair / Computer Lab (the families used a reading program)
    2. Rhyme time - two teachers did a reader's theater type activity with the families.
    3. Book Walk / Bookmarks / Writing - The book walk was just like a cake walk, but they won books. We had enough for every child to take home a new book. After the walk they made a bookmark and completed a writing activity.
    4. Pirate - We had a wonderful father who dressed up as this wonderful pirate and read the story How I Became a Pirate. It was great!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 23, 2006

Functional Reading. Off the top of my head and some of the stuff listed above.

1. Make a list...challenge parents and students to come up with a list of something. It can be grocery, school supply, to do list, favorite books, etc. You might even include copies of the book of lists for ideas.
    2. Make flyers of something (no personal info or real dates included) and post it on the wall for all to read.
    3. Read a small cooking activity and make something yummy to eat.
    4. Read instructions (how to) for an art project. Don't show a demo. (People will see each others, but without a demo they actually have to read).
    5. Story Hour
    6. Make a comic strip and post it for others to read.
    7. Rhyme a poem (I like that)
    8. Scavenger Hunt. Have a section of books in the room and have students read the clues to find the books and answer specific info about that book (who is the author, according to the back (whatever that is called) who is the main character, what is the genre, and what happens on page 13).
    9. Announced DEAR time
    10. Jokes/Riddles Beanbag reading station.

13. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Oct 25, 2006

So glad I found this thread! My principal just asked me to coordinate a Literacy Night for December!!
    Anyone have some fab ideas that I can tie in with Christmas?!
    I've already thought about having a "Reading time with Santa"...

I know you all will have awesome suggestions!!:angel:
    'THANKS"

14. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Nov 1, 2006

Just bumping up this thread.....
    Does anyone have any ideas for hands-on center/station type activities for a literacy night for intermediate level??
    THANKS!!

15. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2006

How about a Polar Express Theme? You could have a reading station. a craft or writing activity to go with the theme, and then serve hot cocoa and cookies. Families could wear their pj's.