Literacy Groups in 2nd Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bam451, Jul 15, 2006.

1. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

I'd be curious to hear how any of you do literacy groups in 2nd grade. I like the idea of literacy groups, but I'm not sure how to make it work or 2nd grade.

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 16, 2006

bam451,

By "literacy groups," do you mean reading groups, or more like literature circles?

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2006

I will group my students at the beginning of the year by using our assessments. Then, I assume I will have either 3 or 4 different levels. Each group will rotate with me during our literacy block everyday. While I am working with a group on specific skills or reading, the other students will be responsible for completing certain tasks- writing, reading, skill work, etc.

5. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

You know what... I wrote the wrong thing.. I meant literacy circles. My fault for trying to do too many things at one time last night when I wrote this.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2006

I went to a literacy circle workshop this summer, and I want to try it myself. I've spent too much this summer and I probably won't start the circles until my reading groups are running smoothly, but this book was recommended at the workshop.

Literature Circles: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs & Reading Groups (Paperback)
    by Harvey Daniels

List Price: $23.50
    Price: $23.50
    Amazon.com

I also want to get this one.
    Mini-Lessons for Literature Circles (Paperback)
    by Harvey Daniels, Nancy Steineke
    List Price: $27.00
    Price: $27.00

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 16, 2006

My 2 cents... Literature Circles were developed mainly for grades 3-4 and up... HOWEVER, with 2nd graders you do have a few options...

First, you can pick your higher reading group(s) and minimize the jobs... I found that all the jobs with Lit Circles are a little overwhelming... assign 4 or 5 (or however many little ones are in your reading group) and then have the teacher do the remaining jobs...

Secondly, you can do this as a whole class activity... you can group the students so there are 3 or 4 little ones of mixed abilities in a group, and then assign a job to each group.

Either way, you need to MODEL the roles of each job.

Hope this helps!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 16, 2006

I was really impressed with that website and learned some things I didn't know. It was very helpful to watch parts of the videos. Thanks, Upsadaisy!