Literacy for HS non-readers

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by deefreddy, May 15, 2014.

1. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

May 15, 2014

1. Do you continue to teach letter recognition, phonemic awareness skills and handwriting in high school with non-readers, non-writers?

2. Do you use self-made materials or purchase a literacy curriculum?

3. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

May 15, 2014

Sold Out

1. Self-preservation is my defense. In spite of the fact that my students' IQs run between 50 and 67, if I'm caught teaching less than curriculum my personal evaluation reflects "not rigorous," so I teach grade-level curriculum only and read / modify for students. Majority of the time almost all kids "get it," with lots of creativity on my part, but occasionally I know I "leave child(ren) behind."

2. I use my own curriculum because I'm yet to find a boxed set that is grade appropriate but level specific.

So...I'm no help, because I what I have to do, not what my kids need; and yes, I both lose sleep, and am accountable, for that on a moral level. Do what you have to do to keep your job and The Man off your back, and stay in good graces of idiots who don't realize what our sweet children are up against. Then, allow grace and forgiveness (in grading) to do what you can't.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 15, 2014

I know that our HS English sped teacher uses the Language! program with the moderate/severe students. She uses the same book I use with my 3rd and 4th graders. It does have phonemic awareness, phonics, and handwriting skills. I know she feels it would be more successful if she had more time to implement it. It's supposed to be 90 minutes every day, and she only has 90 minutes twice a week with the kids. The materials aren't very expensive if your district was willing to pay. I went to a training on it earlier this year, but I honestly think you could do it easily without the training just by studying the teacher's guide. I don't see my kids for near enough time to follow it with "fidelity" so I choose bits and pieces that I think will be useful for them, and supplement with other things as well. As far as I know, the high school teacher uses it completely as is.

5. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

May 17, 2014

Sight words, community words, high frequency words, etc.

if the students have a developmental delay then it will take longer for them to learn to write their name. I teach elementary aged kids and some are just starting on their letter formation. it has taken years.