Literacy Dilemma

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sarie, Apr 19, 2012.

1. sarie

sarie New Member

Apr 19, 2012

I am a new teacher at a preschool. My class will be an expansion of the other 3-4 year old class since enrollment is full. I am supposed to essentially copy the other class's qualities, which is fine (I'll be adding my own teaching style but follow the same curriculum). I have been observing the other teacher and there are many things I like. There is one thing I am concerned about, and that is the lack of literacy in the class. At my last preschool I used the morning message method on a chart, however this preschool class does not use any visual literacy at all. They only practice reading the month of the year, and that is it. No word wall. No read-alouds/questioning. I've been told that the 3-4 year olds are too young for a morning message and a word wall. At the next level up the children are expected to know how to write (but not read, it seems). I guess you could say I'm confused as well as concerned. I would really like to include visual literacy in my class. My boss's concern is that if my room isn't like the other room, parents will pull their children out (she's a very nice person, just very worried, which is understandable). Any advice for what you would do in this situation? thanks!

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Apr 19, 2012

You could incorporate "literacy" into other curriculum areas such as:
    Art-have students draw pictures and you write down their descriptions of their picture.
    Science-do a simple experiment and write down their hypothesis.
    Group Time- write down the words and/or use simple pictures to favorite songs the class likes to sing. For the "ABC" song, write out the alphabet and point to the letters as you sing.
    Transitions-write the students names on a card first name on one side and last name on the other. Use the cards to dismiss children to line up at the door or sit at the table...

Also, maybe you could find research based evidence regarding the use of visual literacy in the classroom and present the findings to her. This may help to get visual literacy incorporated in all the classrooms.