Literacy Coaches

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by thomps6, Nov 29, 2008.

1. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Nov 29, 2008

Would anyone like to share their experiences with a literacy coach? Ours come in everyday during our plan time to discuss issues. Then during our communication arts block they come in and observe for 45 minutes. Not everyone in my building is too excited about this new frontier-for us. Many feel it is an evaluation every day. Any support would be appreciated!! Thanks!

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 30, 2008

The literacy coach in our building does not observe us-but she does tell us what we should be doing in our rooms. (even though the majority of us ALREADY do what she is telling us what to do). I am not happy with the direction literacy is going in our district- we have more and more put on our plate, and being an advocate of teaching meaningful reading, I believe we, as a district, are taking the fun and love out of reading. My kids are overwhelmed, and quite frankly, do not want to pick up books for pleasure anymore.
    The discussing issues must be universal, thomps6. Our collaboration time is "guided" by the literacy coach-so no real collaboration goes on!
    Since when does reading have to be so STRUCTURED???? I love to read because my teachers showed me how to love it, not how to read to pass a state achievement test.
    Just my two cents.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 30, 2008

Literacy coaches are only supposed to be there for support. Can you make any suggestions or speak up?

5. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Dec 1, 2008

Thanks for the comments! I feel that our literacy coaches could be doing so much more with their time than watching me teach. Imparting their wisdom would be perfect! In our district, our reading recovery teachers are our coaches. I have tried to speak up, but am told that they need to go somewhere and this is what we have been told to do. Maybe after this year they will be open for suggestions! Thanks everyone!

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2008

Everyday during planning? Tell her to come in once or twice a week. You've got planning to do with your colleagues. Sounds like she's got too much time on her hands. I'd feel like I was being observed all the time too.

Hmmm. I think I'd be tempted to ask her to "demonstrate" some lessons. Then sit back and "observe".

7. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Dec 2, 2008

I think she would rather do something different as well! I should ask her to demonstrate! Good idea!