Literacy Centres

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by WestCoast Teach, Aug 20, 2009.

1. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

Hey everyone!

I have used lit centres in my Kindergarten classrooms before, but never in the 2nd Grade. I am super interested in starting them up again however am looking for ideas suitable for Grade 2..... i.e. not magnetic letters, write the room, letter-hunt, ... which all seem very ingrained into my brain from K.

Do you have any super great literacy centre activities which you use in Grade 2 that are "must-do's" ?

Thanks so much for any input,
    :hugs:

3. lareed

lareed Companion

Aug 21, 2009

I use a listening center (last year I had one radio and multiple headphones, this summer I bought 5 person walkmans), a magazine cut up center (where the cut words to make sentences), a nonfiction reading center where they choose a response card afterwards, monthly author study, and poetry (among a few other centers that aren't awesome but just ok :)

4. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 22, 2009

I have...a post office, make a book, response journal, build a sentence, word work (I change up what is in here...sometimes it's an ABC order, sometimes stamps, etc.), editing, pocket chart, poetry, magazine center (task cards here with different activities), dictionary, listening center...that's all I can think of at the moment! Hope this helps. :)

5. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

Thank you so much for your fantastic ideas. Those have sparked my brain into action!

I am wondering what (if any) tasks you attach to the poetry, pocket chart, magazine, dictionary centres?

Thanks again! :)

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 25, 2009

In the poetry station, I would have the kids pick a poem, practice the poem for reading to the class, write the poem down, and then use a task card that correlated to our most recent English lessons. They would usually use the same poem for a few times at the station.

In the dictionary station, I had lots of task cards. The students made their own theme dictionaries, their own thesaurus yo use in writing workshop, and had word games to play with their partners.

There are many good books about literacy stations. I love Debbie Diller's books.

7. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

I would suggest D. Diller as well. My district just had her in for 3 days and for the first time in 15 years, I am going to do stations. I've done some centers in my K and early 1st years but her ideas make a lot of sense.