Literacy Centers

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by newbie24, Sep 2, 2007.

1. newbie24

newbie24 Rookie

Sep 2, 2007

Hey Everyone,
    Hopefully your first 2 weeks went great. I am looking for ideas for kindergarten literacy centers. I would greatly appreciate any ideas you have or websites you know where I can get more ideas. I have about 12 or 13 completed but I noticed that some they get bored with really easy or just need to be added to. Please Help!

3. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

Right now I'm using very simple things in the "before school starts" reading area. I have some ABC flash cards which students can line up in order; two foam alphabet puzzles (upper- and lowercase); and a couple of wipe-off books that more advanced students can work on independently. I haven't exactly worked in "official" center activities yet. I also have lots of magnetic and felt letters that can be used when I set out the right materials. When I start adding things like that to regular centers time, I will, of course, give them specific instructions. For now, they're just becoming familiar with them.

I'd like to hear about the centers you're already using...I'm fairly new at doing "new" stuff--I have partnered the past two years and mostly followed his established plans. I love branching out!

4. newbie24

newbie24 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

Thanks for your reply....Let me think of what is set up....
    2 listening centers, computers, puzzles, poetry center (sequence the poem of the week), felt board, cook sheets with magnetic letters and they have to sort into (sticks, sticks and curves, and curves), a reading response center (even if they can only draw a picture of their favorite part), leapfrog pad things, and a stationary center to write letters to anyone. I'm still thinking because some just aren't challenging.

5. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Sep 3, 2007

There are great ideas and free printables on this website:

http://www.childcareland.com/teach.html

Find a way to make matching lower/uppercase letters. Have something they can place in alphabetically order. I took empty apple crates from the cafeteria one lunch day and extra easter eggs that were sitting in my garage to make a center. I wrote the letters of the alphabet on the easter eggs as well as in each section of the apple crates. The kids put the eggs in order by placing them in the apple crates.

Write the letters of the alphabet on sentence strip paper (or just buy cheap flashcards), and have the students place them in a pocket chart in alphabetically order. Eventually, I write the sentences from our predecodable and decodable books on sentence strip paper. I cut them, and the kids can put them in order in the pocket chart.

Name puzzle: Write their names on a piece of sentence strip paper. Cut them out. Have them practice putting the letters in their name in order OR have them glue them in order on another piece of paper. OR, type the letters of their names on paper in mixed up order, have the students cut them out and glue them in the correct order.

Use Stikkiwiks or playdough to recreate letters of the alphabet. Have them practice writing the letters of the alphabet in shaving cream.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 4, 2007