Literacy Centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by I want to TEACH, Jul 5, 2007.

1. I want to TEACH

I want to TEACH Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I am excited about having literacy centers in my second grade room. I have found good ideas online, but would love to hear of any center ideas that you all have used in the classroom.

3. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

research center

I have two computers in my class and I rotate four children through them during center time. They may research on the internet. Our district has a very strong filter and I haven't had anything "wrong" come up! I also have links to our class website that they can go on, such as the National Zoo and just read about animals. Some of the kids like to write down things and draw pics to go with it! You would be surprised how many kids just like to research and READ!

I also have a Word Work center where children work with our spelling words, making words(just buy letter tiles and put a scoop in it), or other words (contractions, prefix-suffix, etc.) I usually introduce all of the ways they can study spelling and then they begin to choose their best way. I also have word games in this center and file folder games.

I also have a math/science center once in awhile. I use our leveled readers from our series and also put topic books in there. In math, I have word problems or games. I want them to know that reading involves ALL subjects in life! :)

The biggest problem I had, was finding things to fill these each week. By about Feb, I feel like I had used all of my best ideas. I need to buy a couple of idea books this year!

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jul 5, 2007

I used to use centers but eventually abandoned them... I found that it was a LOT of prep on my part, and I honestly felt like the kids were just doing 'busy work' so I could get my reading group time... I now have the kids READ while I meet with small groups and kids one on one... I then do the more 'center stuff' whole/small group - the kids seem to enjoy this model MUCH more - as do I!

5. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

My grade partners and I made centers that we only have to change every 6 weeks. There are 6 activities in each center. We each take one center and work on it. Our centers for this year while we're doing guided reading are:

Writing Center
    Spelling Center
    Word Sort Center
    Reading Center (AR)
    Listening Center (book on tape)
    Dictionary Center

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 5, 2007

You might want to check out Laura Candler's website. IT is wonderful, and I have been using her literarcy menu idea this year, and it has worked like a charm. As for literacy centers, I use my computers for phonics practice(I made up cards with such prompts as "name as many words you can with the bl consonant blend at the beginning". I have a writing workshop center. I have used the Take it to your Seat book that has premade language arts centers, and I have a poetry corner in which I have the kids keep a poetry journal. A quick,very fun center is to gather picture books. I organize them by genre, and put a fun graphic organizer in the front. After the student reads the book,they can fill out the organizer.
    I have many more, since I switch these around, so as I think of my many others, I will try to post again!

7. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Centers I've seen with spelling:

Have students stamp out spelling words with rubber stamps and inkpad;
    Have students trace over spelling words with wikki sticks (fun!).

Another lit center that I've heard about (and plan to implement this fall) is the top 10 center. You give the student a prompt, such as "List your top 10 favorite foods." The student lists and then alphabetizes his/her top 10. This can be modified for different grade levels (younger - top 5), and the prompt can easily be changed each week.

"Write the room" is another neat lit center. The student (and maybe a partner) go around the room and find objects that include the phonics sound/skill for the week. They record the items on a clipboard. For example, if the students are studying the "ch" sound, they may record "lunchbox", etc.

8. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

While I am with a reading group I have a computer center with reading/writing/science/math software from the Waterford Company. It's good. The other kids I assign seat work to, consisting of math, writing, logic puzzles and sometimes an art project. It's all independently done and graded. I explain to the kids that their seat work should be treated like a test. I must admit I've never been a fan of centers unless they had to produce a hard copy of something that they did on their own.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

10. eydie

eydie Companion

Jul 5, 2007

Overall favorite spelling activity!

I call it invisible words.
    On white paper have the children write their spelling words with a white crayon (as many times as you determine) The words are "invisible" on the white paper.
    NOW the fun part......
    With water color paint have them wash the paint over their words...MAGIC the word appears!

O.K. it's not really magic but my second graders think it's cool!