Literacy Centers

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, Aug 23, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

Do you all have any ideas for literacy centers for 4th graders to start off the year with?

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 23, 2013

I have to sound like a broken record, but if you don't get this from me someone else will post it, lol. Have you read The Daily 5? It would be great for 4th grade because a lot of the literacy centers I see on Pinterest and things are geared toward younger grades.

Brief synopsis - daily 5 includes read to self, read to someone, listen to reading, work on writing, and word work. It gives the kids lots of experience participating in authentic literacy activities.

4. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

I have not read that book, but have heard lots of people talking about it. How easy is it to implement? I am a bit concerned with starting off with something that is new to me when I am new to teaching and school begins (for the kids) in a week! :eek: haha

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 23, 2013

It is easy to implement, but you MUST take it step by step, and ensure that your students KNOW and FOLLOW the routines & procedures. The sisters (2 sisters wrote the book) even have a detailed "implementation plan." Check it out!

6. Opal

Opal Companion

Aug 25, 2013

We are implementing the Daily 5 this year. I am introducing one part each week, starting with read to self. The key to making sure it runs smoothly is to let the kids practice, but immediately regroup as soon as one kid gets off task (isn't doing their job) and have a class discussion about expectations.

So far, my kids are doing great with it.