Literacy Centers Management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissTexas, Jul 17, 2007.

1. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

This will be my first year teaching first grade and I would like to know how you all go about managing your centers. I have a number of centers that I would like to implement inside of the classroom except I don't know how to execute them.:(

How do you keep students from rushing through the centers? Are the students timed at each center? Do you hold each student accountable for each center? If so, do you have a worksheet in which they are to fill out?

Thanks in advance for all of your responses!! :) :)

3. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

HI, I am a second year, second grade teacher and I didn't do centers my first year, but will be implementing them in my guided reading block. The centers I will be doing will all be done at their seats, but they will be able to work independently and at their own level while I am working with my guided reading group for that time. I am following a plan by Patricia Pavelka whom I saw at a seminar for guided reading. This will be my first attempt, but I am very excited and really think it will work. If you find the guided reading strategies book that she has, it gives you numerous center ideas and explains how the system works. I am really looking forward to this coming school year to see how this works for me. Good luck!

4. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Well I'm doing literacy centers and I've found that by having different activities at one center will give them different options. If they finish early they can do a different activity that is still within the center. Also, centers are giving them extra practice so I don't grade them. I will probably walk around every now and then and jot some notes down about each student so that when parent/teacher conferences come up I can let the parents know how their child is in centers. Hope this helps! :love:

5. teaching1st

teaching1st Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Oops I forgot to mention some ideas on what I mean about different choices within a center. For ABC/Word Study Station some choices for them to choose from would be:
    ABC puzzle
    Egg-citement – word family patterns (using easter plastic eggs)
    Read ABC books
    Sorting words - short vowels, long vowels
    Make words using
    - Magnetic letters
    - Stamping letters
    - Word tiles
    - Play dough
    ABC order
    Word Wall games

6. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 17, 2007

I use a timer. I set the time for the 1st center and when the timer goes off, I set 2 minutes on the timer so they can clean up. When the second timer goes off, they can move on. I set the timer again. It only takes a second to reset the timer and it becomes second nature. Each group has a captain for questions or material gathering. Dr. C.C. Bates gave a great workshop on Lit. centers. She has a website that may help. I do put a basket at each center with phonics wheels, file folder games, and extra activites for early finishers. They are never without something to do.

7. KTeachNC

KTeachNC Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I agree with the idea of giving the child several choices at each center or "station". Also, I have several stations set up, and usually put students in very small groups, mostly in pairs. I have found that more students than that causes the noise level to go up and more playing gets done than working. The centers (I call them workstations) I use are:
    - Reading
    - Storytelling (acting out/retelling stories that we have read several times using puppets and the felt board
    - Listening (I use walkmans instead of the large listening center)
    - Computers
    - "Read the room" (Students wear sunglasses with the lenses popped out and read the room for word wall words, words that start with the first letter of their name, etc)
    - Fine motor station (play doh, Wikki Stix, chalkboards, other handwriting activities
    - Dry Erase Boards
    - Working with Words station
    - Letter Tile/ Letter Stamp Station
    - Pocket chart
    - Poem of the week
    - Puzzles and games
    - Magnetic letters
    - Overhead
    - Pictionary (Students use picture dictionaries to find, draw, and write a word beginning with a specific sound)

On my Literacy board, I put two of each of the centers together as one choice for the day, and the partners that are assigned to those centers can choose either one (for example, the partners could choose either Reading or Storytelling that day) During that time, I pull my guided reading groups, so the partenrs are grouped by their abilities.

I recommend the book, Literacy Work Stations, by Debbie Diller. She has several ideas on creating a management system or centers and ideas for creating/ organizing the different centers.

8. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Thank you all sooooooo much!! Your ideas will help me out a lot!! Do any of you happen to have an example of what your literacy board/center management board looks like? Thanks again!

9. KTeachNC

KTeachNC Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Actually, I dont have a picture of my board right now- I just moved and am setting up my classroom in my new school. I set mine up on a bulletin board, with picture cards for each center and the students names tacked next to the center they are at for the day. I will probably have it up in the next week or so, and Id be glad to send you a pic of it then!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Thank you KTeach. I printed out your list. Even though I will be teaching 3rd grade next year, I have been in 5th for 6 years and didn't do centers or workstations. (And, with a very small class, the whole class was a small group!)

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

I set the timer for 20 minutes and that's how long they have at each center. After time is up, I have them clean up and move to the next one. If they finish up at a center, they can do extra things within that center that still have to do with it. Most of the time, they don't finish.

I just give the kids a center folder and all of their center work goes in it (if there is paper involved). At the end of centers (after they have gone through them all), I collect them and look through. I don't grade anything, just look. I think I might try something else next year though.

12. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

I did literacy centers this summer during summer school. I had kindergarteners and 1st graders. At first I let the kids go to whatever center and complete the centers. They had to complete all the centers before we were done. This was very hard for the kindergarteners, because they had never done literacy centers before. I then changed it to my switching the groups. I would just let everyone know when they had to switch. I tried to set up my centers looking at the time frame. If they would finish early, then they had the choice of free reading from my reading center or from their browsing box.

13. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

Here are some other threads started here that focus on centers and the management aspect.
    I found them helpful. I didn't have centers my first year either, but I'm hoping to try it for this coming year. From the following links, it sounds like the key is a LOT of organization, planning and modeling exactly how you want your students to use them, clean up and switch to the next center.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?threadid=36449
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=36216
    http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=36362