Literacy Center Question

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Starista, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

Hello! :love:

I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered before.

Should first graders have a lot of accountability at center time? What I mean is, should they always have some sort of worksheet to complete, indicating to the teacher that they've been to and completed the center task? I've seen some wonderful center worksheets ~ like having the kids read/write the room in ABC order, write down what they read about in listening center, written down words they've built with manipulatives at the word building center. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you so much. :love:

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 25, 2007

Yes-I think that first graders should have the accountability. I've seen this done really well in a first grade class. The teacher has a worksheet for each station, and when completed, they file it under their name in an accordian folder. I am not a fan of always doing worksheets, but this system seemed to work really well because they completed the paper after they had done the activity. (sorting letters, sorting words, reading a book, listening center, etc.)

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

Sometimes I think it's a good idea. However, when you are limited on time, not so much. If my students have 20 minutes at a reading or writing station, I would rather have them reading that whole time instead of reading then completing a worksheet. You can still hold the accountable by having them briefly share what they read or wrote about after center/station time.

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 25, 2007

I saw on Ms. Meachem's website (http://www.jmeacham.com/) that she has a sheet that the kids color in as they complete each center during a 10 day rotation (she has kindy kids, so it's a little different). The students can write a short statement about what they learned at a center, respond to a prompt, answer a question, etc in their center journal. A little more info is here...
    http://www.jmeacham.com/centers.htm