Literacy Activities

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MusicMaker, May 17, 2007.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

May 17, 2007

I need some ideas for Literacy Activities during centers. My first grade students need extra practice with sight words and spelling.

They can't handle a lot of freedom and want something that won't take a lot of time to prepare. I have them do a memory match game with sights words (easy to make). They seem to be getting bored and it's hard for them to concentrate at the end of the year.

For sight words, I have them use sand paper and then put the blank paper to write the sight word over it, then they can trace it with their finger...it has a bumpy texture.
    rainbow write (write the word 5 times over with different colored crayons).
    magnetic letters (they end up on the floor and don't seem to respect anything).

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 17, 2007

Trifold
    Have them, or you, write the sight word in big bold letters in the middle of a paper. Fold the paper into thirds. They fold the top paper over and trace the sight word (they can also rainbow write the word three times). Then, have them fold the paper up and rainbow write three more times.

Here's a site with ideas for literacy centers. Great site!!! Click on High Frequency words for center ideas.
    http://www.fcrr.org/Curriculum/pdf/F_Final.pdf

4. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

May 17, 2007

Use wiki sticks to create words

Pyramid spelling
    s
    sp
    spe
    spel
    spell

Sight word search in an easy reader-mark with post-its

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 17, 2007

Here is my structure for each week. Below each day, I have examples of games I have used. I tried to steer away from those requiring too much attention from you. In my own classroom, I do it in small groups and it is rotated to me (3 adults during reading time) for "word study."

Monday: Introduction
    Discuss the words as a group and ask them what they notice about the words. Give them an example of how to use it (or ask them for one). We do this at the end of the morning message/agenda.

ABC Order Spelling Dictionary.
    Spelling Flag (Same thing as the stair step except I created a triangle with lines on the computer. They color it and glue a popcicle stick on it and take them home to study.)
    Word Name Tags. (Give each student a large name tag and assign each a word. Ask them to write the word and draw a picture related to that word. Ask them to display their stickers above the cubbie. They will see each others along with the concept (picture). Set aside time to look at each other's prize.

Tuesday: Reading the words and recognizing them
    Window Writing (with window chalk)Matching (sometimes word to word and sometimes word to picture)
    Spelling Dominos (index cards)Hangman
    Bingo
    Spelling "Go Fish" Card Game (index cards)
    Go Fishing Carnival Game (Use a pipecleaner, yarn and paperclip for your fishing pole and hook. The fisher throws the hook over whatever barrier you set up and the other person (without looking at the word) must clip the word to the hook. Then the fisher tells the other person what the word is. That person spells it. They take turns.
    "Hidden Words" picture (make your own and add other words. They can only circle their current words.)
    Letter Stamp Art: Use letter stamps to create art. If you don't want to give them the word verbally, you can ask a question on an idex card and have them stamp the answer or cut out a picture of that concept and have them figure out the word.
    Unscramble the word (Using Sentence Strips I write the words. Then I cut up individual letters and put one word in an envelope. They open one envelope at at time, figure out what it says and then write it down. I ask them to try not to use our spelling poster, but I let them use it if they need it. It's only Tuesday.

Wednesday: Comprehension
    Crossword PuzzleWorksheets
    Any game or activity that will reinforce the concepts.
    Who (or What) am I?
    Mad Libs
    Any generic File Folder Game. Put questions or commands on index cards for them to draw. Sometimes I just pull out our candy land board

Thursday and Friday: Drill
    Use Q-Tip and Water to write on the chalkboard (disappears)Cheers
    Sparkle
    Shaving Cream on the Table (for them to write in)
    Sorry! (Put words on popcicle sticks and have them draw one. If they spell it right (group decides) then they keep it. If they draw "Sorry!" they must put back all their sticks. No one really wins because "Sorry!" goes back too. They have never figured that out.

6. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

May 17, 2007

The best independent activity I use with my first graders for practicing sight words is called Kaboom. I took a few empty Pringles Chips tubes and filled them with sight word cards plus some cards that say Kaboom. The kids take turns pulling out one card at a time. If they can read it, they can keep it. If they pull a Kaboom card, however, they must put all their cards back. This game keeps them busy for a long time. It can get a little noisy as they laugh hysterically but it's on-task noise I think. It's so easy to set up once you have the tubes made--just photocopy new cards as you teach them.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 18, 2007

Another game similar to Kaboom is Zap. Same concept. I used popsicle sticks with sight words on them and some popsicle sticks have the word Zap. So, if they pull this stick, they loose all sticks. I stuck the popsicle sticks into a mug with water on the inside of the cup. Just for the fun effect. Otherwise, you could stick it into any container.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 18, 2007

All three of us have the same concept. Mine was in my list too and it is called "Sorry!" For fun, sometimes I use invisible ink. I run the center so I use the blacklight pen to reveal it but the students could easily do it. The reason I do it is because they were having trouble with reading whole words instead of staring at each individual letter. So I control the speed at which they read it. They loved it! The other nice part is that they can't look at the word the whole time and cheat. They look at it, say it and then the light goes off and they spell it.

9. aricoach

aricoach Rookie