Literacy Activities on Halloween day

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1stGradeNewbie, Oct 25, 2007.

1. 1stGradeNewbie

1stGradeNewbie Rookie

Oct 25, 2007

What activities are you doing for you centers on Halloween Day? I have to still have my reading block, but was wanting some fun ideas for my centers. Any suggestions?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2007

Before Halloween I used a fun coloring sheet that the students had to read the color words & color to create a witch. I found an ABC dot to dot of a pumpkin (I know easy, but they loved it). As a school we had to compare & contrast birds & bats. We made bats at the end.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Oct 25, 2007

Draw/create and write a story about a pumpkin. Use halloween stickers in a story.

5. desari

desari Rookie

Oct 25, 2007

When I was running Day Care the kids would make their own spider web. I took either a lid to a copy paper box and put a black piece of construction paper in it. The students would dip one or two marbles into white tempera paint, put in the box, and then let it roll around all over the paper. Once they felt that made the perfect web they would color a spider picture, cut it out and then either glue it somewhere on the page or punch a whole in the paper, tie a piece of yarn to it and then glue the spider off the other end.
    Lol i am sick right now and can not tell if these instructions make sense. I hope so. Lol

6. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Oct 25, 2007

how about cutting a pumpkin open and letting them estimate and count seeds (math/sensory), skittle graphs for graphing/estimation, fun stuff like that ;)

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2007

What about having a pumpkin & ask the kids to cut a piece of yarn they think will be big enough to go around it. After wards as a class get together intro the word circumference, and see whose is closer!!!

There's a song on Noggin about I don't like candy corn...graph to see how many kids like candy corn. How many made or bought their costumes.