Literacy Activities in Third Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Feb 13, 2011

Third grade teachers, I need your input! I am looking for literacy activities that my kids can do independently. I am trying to work on the implementation of groups, and need worthwhile activities to keep my students engaged while a group is working. Some ideas a fellow teacher did last week: fill in a venn diagram based on a picture; choose "x" amount of random words and then write them in a story/illustrate; cut a sheet of words apart and glue them in A,B,C order. I could do a page of homonym matching, and some sort of dictionary game.... I am looking for ideas that are sort of file folder like games, I guess, but not fluff stuff.

Any ideas, or websites, or books, or file folder game books, etc? Can you tell I'm getting desperate? :dizzy: TIA!

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

Take a look at The Daily 5. It made my Literacy grouping so much easier!

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 13, 2011

When I taught 3rd grade, I found this website really helpful:

http://www6.swlauriersb.qc.ca/crestview/ls/Teacher/Teacher_Literacy_Centers.htm

Some other centres I had:

• listening centre
    • illustrating or typing out the poem of the week
    • ABC teach has passages students can read independently and then there is a comprehension worksheet to go with it. Reading a-z has the same for all of their books.
    • jigsaw puzzles

5. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2011

I would definitely look into Daily 5. It changed my entire literacy block.

6. H2H

H2H Rookie

Feb 14, 2011

Homophone Hunt might work for you.

Provide the students with a piece of text (could just be a list of sentences) and they read it looking for any words that have a homophone. You could even tell them how many homophone words are in each sentence (if you do it this way) or paragraph. They have to circle the words that have homophones and then write out the matching homophones on that or another piece of paper.

Example

1. I went in the store to buy a pair of socks. (5)

The students would circle the words "I, in, to, buy, pair" since these all have a homophone friend. They would then write out: "I, eye; in, inn; to, two, too; buy, bye, by; pair, pear, pare"

This can also lead into a good vocabulary lesson.

Hope this helps out.

H2H

7. cjw4ua

cjw4ua Rookie

Feb 14, 2011

My 4th graders are involved in literacy centers everyday. I use a modified Daily 5. Here is a brief description of my centers:

Reading-This consists of listening, partner reading, or silent reading. It is usually our weekly story or leveled readers.

Writing-Our reading series (Scott Foresman Reading Street) provides multiple writing opportunities. My kids do one a day.

Word Work-The students use their spelling and vocabulary words in many ways (playdough words, rainbow words, silly sentences). I also let them play Vocabulary and Spelling City http://www.spellingcity.com on the interactive white board two or three times a week.

Technology-The students participate in webquests, research, online projects, etc. using the topic of our weekly story.

Hope this helps!