Lit Selections

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by EmptyClassroom, Jul 17, 2014.

1. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

I'm finalizing my first grading period units and down to decision time regarding the major fiction selection for (freshman) Literature 1. General ed students are reading Of Mice and Men and I do plan on using passage chunks so they are exposed to the same literature, but making Flowers For Algernonmy main text. I've found enough common themes and character traits between the two to mirror activities and have common discussion topics. In addition, my students can contribute unique content claims and evidence to gen-ed displays that look more like an extension than a replacement of texts.

My question is this: both stories address mental disabilities in main characters. My higher students make connections between their disabilities and I worry they feel defeated by their disabilities as a result of seeing depictions of persons with disabilities third-hand. Any thoughts on "the elephant in the literature" that would help me finalize my plans? Could I traumatized my students by engaging them in authentic, real-world discussions that involve perceptions of mental disabilities? In the past I've approached these in very self-advocating positive, motivational approaches but I always worry, and this year my class is an even mix of very low, and just-below-the-cutoff-for-inclusion students.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 17, 2014

Our 10th graders read Of Mice and Men this past year. They did really well with it. I'm not sure what the sped teacher did in terms of discussion. I did have a student who has sibilings who are in our MD unit. He was great. We had some really frank discussions. I loved being able to show them how far we've come. It also made my kids really think about what is the best thing we can do? I know some changed how they felt about it.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 17, 2014

Never read Of Mice and Men, but I did read Flowers for Algernon in Eighth grade. Was in a gen ed English class, however.

If anything, the students will feel empowered by seeing a different perspective on someone with disabilities - most disabilities portrayed in media are the visible ones. It's refreshing to have a non-physical disability portrayed.

5. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

Thanks for feedback! :)