Lit. block--I'm starting to feel panic-y again

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Emerson Squirl, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

Nov 2, 2010

What does your block look like on a weekly basis? I would really like to implement small group instruction and back away from the basal a little. I would also like to start using Words Their Way but I'm confused on how that fits into the weekly schedule too. I'm less than a week away from coming back on track and reality is hitting fast....Help!

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 2, 2010

Keep calm and carry on (sorry couldn't resist :haha:)

Anyhow, I hear you. Group rotations used to really freak me out because I've never been very confident/comfortable with my centers. I still get nervous when I know the P is going to come observe me during those times because it's my weakest area.

Here is what my reading block looks like

8 - 8:35: Whole group instruction (kids are on carpet. We read and discuss story. Then we do Word Work which is a review/lesson about phonics, capitalizing letters, when to use a period, etc. This isreferred to as "Word Work" in my curriculum. Is that the same as the "Writing Like Us" that you refer to?)

8:35 - 8:55: Small group with my BGLs. OGLs are in centers and AGLs are at their desks doing independent work.

8:55 - 9:15: OGLs come to guided reading group. AGLs go to centers. BGLs have independent work at their seats.

9:15 - 9:30: AGLs have guided reading group with me. OGLs are doing independent work and BGLs go to centers.

I'm not sure if that helps. If you want to know exactly what each of those things (guided reading group, centers and/or independent work) looks like, let me know.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Nov 2, 2010

Have you looked into Daily 5/CAFE? If not, I highly recommend it. It has completely changed how I teaching Reading & Language Arts. I do Word Journeys spelling program, which is very similar to Words their Way. On Monday's I meet with the different spelling groups and give them their lists. They have a tic-tac-toe board to be completed by Friday. They can choose to work on their spelling during Daily 5-Word Work. Daily 5/CAFE has enabled me to work with small groups and individuals as needed.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 2, 2010

Is the Daily 5 a curriculum your school has adopted or something that a person can find for free online? It sounds interesting and I'm always looking for new ways to engage my students during the reading block. Do they have a website? If so, can you post it? Thanks!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 2, 2010

http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Five-Gail-Boushey/dp/1571104291/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288743048&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/CAFE-Book-Eng...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288743065&sr=1-1

(The great Amazon reviews say it all! :) )

http://www.thedailycafe.com/ -Many things are for subscribers only, but you can find basic information for free.

7. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Nov 2, 2010

We do our lit. block between 930am and 11am.

930-10am - phonics instruction (explicit with curriculum)

10-1030am - small group instruction (guided reading, some word work)

10:30-10:45 - read aloud

10:45-11:00 - comprehension/strategy lesson M and T; fluency W and R

11:00-11:15 - choice time/remedial for time with a small group

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 3, 2010