Listening Centers

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1stferg, Jun 10, 2013.

1. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Jun 10, 2013

Let me begin by saying listening centers are not my strength. Infact, I usually don't do them at all. But I am wanting to start doing the daily five next year and listening centers is one part of it. Can you please share some ideas for how to organize, manage and keep the listening center running? Thanks

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2013

I got sick of the batteries always being dead on my cd players, and gave up and bought a subscription to raz-kids.com. My kids loved it. I can assign levels for each student, so I know they're working on the right level. They can also access it from home, so I made it one of the homework choices.

I can't remember what I paid to renew for next year, but I think it's around $90. A little pricey, but the ease of not having to mess with cds and cd players was worth it to me.

4. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 19, 2013

My reading series came with CD's, so my students listen to the anthology stories or their guided readers. I don't start doing the listening center portion of Daily 5 for month or so, so we have read at least 1 book by then. I have the old fashioned 6 plug listening center, and do a modified Daily 5, so each Guided Reading group rotates to the center at least twice a week.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 19, 2013

Cleaning out my new room, and it looks like our reading series has cassette tapes. Not sure if I want to try and find a tape player, or just keep doing what I had planned.

I remember last year with my second graders- one of our stories talked about a cassette tape, and not a single kid had a clue what it was!

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 20, 2013

This reminds me of Click, Clack, Moo and teaching the kids what a typewriter is.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 20, 2013

They still sell walkmans for pretty cheap at Wal-Mart. I just decorate tote bags to keep the walkman and story together together for each one inside. They just get the bag they want. I got really lucky through Donorschoose a few years ago with some mp3 players. Now I record new stories each week for them.

8. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jun 21, 2013

I use a CD player that up to 6 kids can use at a time. My students stay with their reading group for stations. They each have their own set of headphones. I put a new c.d. In once a week and they all listen to the story.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2013

CD players/boomboxes I got many of my tapes, CD's, and players at rummage sales.

Books on computer/I-pad

Read aloud to the class

10. mrking47968

mrking47968 Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

I have student go to storynory and listen to story there with headphones. The readers there do a good job using inflection and there are some nice fairy tales as well.

11. Lifein1stGrade

Lifein1stGrade Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

I use individual cd players in baskets. The book and a clipboard for a response sheet can all fit in the basket with the individual cd player. It works well for me.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 19, 2013

I have to personal CD players with lots of books on CD and 2 computers where my kids listen to TumbleBooks. It took me a while to get into listen to reading because of tech issues, but once I got it running and saw how valuable it was I didn't look back.