Listening Center

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newbie0809, Apr 9, 2009.

1. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Apr 9, 2009

What works best for you? Having the students share one book and tape to follow along, Having one or two students to share a book with one tape recorder, Or each student have their own tape recorder or walkman to do the listening center on their own?

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 9, 2009

I have a CD player with 5 headphones hooked up to it. They each have their own book and headphones.

When my students are at the listening center they complete a stroy scavenger hunt with comprehension questions. This holds them accountable. After each page they pause the CD and asnwer the question(s) on their scavenger hunt paper.

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 9, 2009

I've found repetition works pretty well :D

5. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 9, 2009

I prefer having students with individual tape or CD players. It takes up much less space. It is also easier to manage for students who are listening to a chapter book on CD.

6. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Apr 9, 2009

Nattles19, Where do you get all of your individual tape players?

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 9, 2009

I have individual cd players on my "wish list" now. But I've been successful having up to 6 students share a cd player. I used to do the listening center with headphones, but had too many issues and arguments about how loud it was. Now they listen without headphones. The whole room can hear it, but I have them keep it pretty low and others do pretty well tuning it out.

If I have enough copies of a book (rare) they each get one. But often I just assign a page turner who is responsible for making sure everyone can see the book.

8. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Apr 9, 2009

I used to buy them at Wal-Mart, where they were just $5 each. They don't sell them anymore though! (although a colleague swears they have them online, I have yet to find them).

The latest players I've gotten have been at yard sales. People are ready to just get rid of them now that mp3 players are around!

9. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2009

Same here and it has worked well.

10. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Apr 10, 2009

I do not have a listening center in my room this year--- but plan to next year.
    About how long do you have students stay in the listening center?
    Any other helpful hints about the actual set up of a listening center?

11. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Apr 13, 2009

Missy99 and cMcD,

Do you make the comprehension scavenger hunt up yourself? Is there a certain format that you use?

12. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 13, 2009

They stay at the listening center for 20 minutes. All my centers are 20 minutes. They do 6 centers a week--2 per day (Tue, Wed, Thur).

I have my listening center sitting on top of a Rubbermaid that holds my collection of magazines to use for different activities. I have the comprehension stuff in a rubbermaid tote.

Here is the listening center. I don't have the comprehension tote in this pic though.
    [​IMG]

13. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 13, 2009

I get mine from Waltke's Web. Our reading series is Scott Foresman. Waltke's web is an awesome site that goes along with the Scott Foresman series. But you may find some other series' stories there too!

http://classroom.jc-schools.net/waltkek/

14. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2009

I didn't do a listening center this year because I'm using the Daily5, but what I do in it is:

* individual walkmen (I too bought them at walmart...I'm sad now...didn't know they don't have them anymore!)
    * whisper phones (where the children read a story to themselves softly using the whisper phone to listen to their reading)
    * buddy reading (my students take turns listening to each other read and helping them with decoding strategies)

:) My listening center was also about 20 minutes and it occured during guided reading. Each group went there once a week.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 13, 2009

I teach kindergarten. I have 4 headphones and the children listen to the same story all at the same time. Right now I don't have an activity for them to do afterwards. Some stories are short and some are long. When they are finished they go into the library where the relax and look at books. They love reading to one another.

16. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Apr 14, 2009

I have a CD player with 2 pairs of headphones. The kids share the book. We had a listening table but our classroom is so small it had to go so its just on the floor next to a beanbag chair. I love the idea of a scavenger hunt!