Listening Center storage?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jbrinkm, Oct 14, 2011.

1. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Oct 14, 2011

I could use some suggestions for how to store the books & CDs that are available for the kids to use in the listening center.

I have this cute listening pod in my library. I just introduced it this week, so the kids are LOVING it because it is new. However, my system for storing the books & CDs from last year is not working with the new pod. Right now, I have the CD in a paper sleeve, along with one or two matching books and a laminated picture of the set each in a gallon-sized plastic storage bag. All of these sets were stored in the bins in the bottom of the pod (most of my listening books are too large to fit in the nice hanging bags that would fit on the hooks).

The children are not putting them back properly - even after explaining the rules and modeling the process multiple times and working with the children while they are using it. As soon as I walk away, I come back to books & CDs all over the floor being stepped on. Some of my fours are doing ok, but I want the system to make sense to more of the kids.

So presently we are only checking out one story package at a time and the children have to return it before taking another one. The two major problems with doing it this way are that it is very time consuming for the teachers and the kids keep having to take off the headphones, walk over to the teacher/bin, yell at another kid who is trying to take his/her seat and then take the new story back (tripping over the headphone cables stretched from pod to chairs).

I really don't want to have to remove it - they love hearing the stories!

How could I arrange the books & CDs so that they can be more independent without having to leave the pod until they are completely done with that activity?

Do you think that larger bags might help (the books aren't terribly easy to get into the bags)? Or separate the CDs from the books like they show in the picture of the pod? Do you think changing the storage system will help, or do you think it will just take time for them to learn?

3. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Oct 14, 2011

First off, I am so jealous that pod is so cool....I have 2 walkmans.....lol

Ok so you prob. are but I wanted to suggest to use copies of the CDs so that throughout this learning process you aren't losing the originals.

Maybe you can label each CD and book with a symbol picture to pair them (i.e. For the 3 Little Pigs draw a pig face on 2 labels and put them one the CD and one on the cover of the book)

Can you glue or packing tape the paper sleeves into the inside covers of the books and get rid of the bags altogether -

Maybe place like 3 books out a day to limit the carnage and work your way up to more books being out?

Not sure if any of that will help, but hope it does!

4. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Oct 15, 2011

Sounds like our "home living" center. That darn kitchen stuff gets everywhere. SO frustrating! Hope you figure something good out!

5. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Oct 15, 2011

2 walkmans are probably so much easier than trying to implement this pod!!

I did not make copies of the CDs but that is such a good idea. I'll do that on Monday.

Some of the books came with the CD pouch on the inside cover but many of the kids didn't have the fine motor skills needed to get the CDs back into that pouch and I'm worried that I would run into that problem again. However, I think after reading your post, that I should ditch the gallon-sized bags and just put the books into the bins in the bottom of the pod and put the CDs (copies) into hard CD cases from the dollar store that open and close - I'll just glue the laminated picture of the book & CD onto the front cover of the CD case.

I do think that I will need to label which books stay in the listening center with headphones or similar picture so they don't get mixed into the general book population.

Thanks for the good ideas.

6. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Oct 15, 2011

With our listening center I only put out 2 selections at a time. I rotate the listening center items often. The books on tape/CD are hung on the wall above the listening center where the children can see them. They have to let a teacher know which book they would like to listen to, and a teacher will put the CD in for them. My ideal listening center set up would be for the children to only be able to access the headphones and books, so that they can't mess with the tapes, CDs, and CD player. I know that's not exactly child centered and the most developmentally appropriate practice, but those items cost a lot of money to replace and some restrictions on the materials will make them last longer.

I know it's a good thing to let the children have choices, but too many choices can sometimes be a bad thing.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 15, 2011

Mrgrinch...they do have choices. They can hear their stories from you, from their peers "reading the books", from their own inner voices when they silently "read" OR from the listening center.

8. forkids

forkids Cohort

Oct 24, 2011

I do as mrgrinch does - only put out two selections at a time. If the powers that be didn't require at least two, I would only put one per day. I hate the listening center in a pre-K classroom! It is a good idea, but sooo time consuming and many kids this age don't use it properly and things get torn up even with teaching/modeling. I also limit the number of children to two and depending on the class and how they're doing, sometimes only allow them to listen to one or two stories then move on. This center is a pain to manage and expensive to keep things supplied.