List What You Got!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 25, 2011

$1050 cash

Blue leather handbag

Nook Color

Ninja Master Prep Pro Blender/Chopper

Day at Disneyland

Homemade canned pears

Hickory Farms cheese & sausage

Holidy bowl & cheese knife

See's Candy

$30 Walmart gift card

Hand lotion, lip balm, & chocolate

Abolone & wood ring

3. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 25, 2011

Versace suit

Gucci heels

Jimmy Choo flats, diamond bracelet, popcorn machine, I tunes gift cards, Chanel sunglasses, basketball tickets, homemade cards from kids, neck massager, Nook, and some new pots

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 25, 2011

Nothing.

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Dec 25, 2011

I "got" super happy kids!!

the joy in their eyes this morning was heartwarming :)

Especially my little princess recovering from her Tonsil surgery this week phew,she is happy!

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 25, 2011

This is what I should have said. :)

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 25, 2011

I didn't get anything, but that's how we arrange it.

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2011

DH and I don't usually exchange presents. What we are doing this year is cleaning out all the junk in our closets, pulling the carpets to expose hardwood floors, and getting new linoleum in the kitchen. It will be like starting the new year in a new apartment.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 25, 2011

Several Christmas messages from family, my carol premiered, and word that someone I was concerned about is feeling better.

10. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 25, 2011

My MIL said she is giving us a trip for Christmas but I do not know where.... Kind of excited!

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 25, 2011

I got a beautiful panda snow globe from my 16 year old daughter that has "Mommy, you are my hero." I cried. :)

[​IMG]

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 25, 2011

I have a happy family.

13. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 25, 2011

Beautiful bandnerd!

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 25, 2011

A Keurig, a board game, some Saints gear, a Harry Potter shirt, some socks, a little cash.

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 25, 2011

Some new wine glasses, clothes, a beautiful necklace, books, movies, candy and a recipe box.

16. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 25, 2011

gloves

frog pins

sountracks to chicago and burlesque

felt banner from my alma mater to replace the flag I had to take down in my classroom

program from a 1951 play about Abraham Lincoln (the cover is made of copper that was mined in Butte MT and smelted in Helena MT)

coffee kcups for my classroom

a trip to the education store for teacher stuff

a hand drawn picture of a one room school house in Montana

I was going to post a pic of the school house drawing but could not figure out how to do it

17. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 25, 2011

Just curious.. what age were you when your presents started to thin out?

18. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 25, 2011

I think it has always depended on family finances how many presents I have ever gotten. When I was in junior high and high school my mom was a single parent that only got paid once a month. So we would always get pictures of what would be bought when she got paid at the beginning of Jan.

19. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 25, 2011

My parents continued with santa until my junior. Year In college. Eventually, it only came to books and clothes because I was to old for toys

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 25, 2011

My parents always put on these enormous, over-the-top Christmas spectacles. I can honestly say, out of the thousands of gifts I received over the years, that I can only actually remember a handful of them. I got a stereo system when I was 7. I got a basketball net when I was 10 (that was never actually put up), and every year our stocking contained all sorts of bath goodies. That's it. I know I got a TON of stuff because you couldn't walk in the living room for all the gifts that were piled under the tree, but that's all I remember. This lasted until I was out of high school.

As a result, Christmas in my household is small but meaningful. This year we got a couple of family gifts (an Xbox Kinect that came with a game, plus two more games, and a bunch of movies that I picked up when they were on sale for less than $5). Each child got a $15 toy that they'd been wanting for a long time, and each child got a book. I also continue the tradition of a stocking full of bath goodies. Everybody gets a new toothbrush, toothpaste, body wash, bubble bath, shampoo, and those that need it get deodorant. As soon as they need them, they'll also get razors.

Our Christmases are so much happier and peaceful since I decided to go the minimalist route.

21. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 25, 2011

Crazy twins that are now napping.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 25, 2011

Didn't you already have those? Well, maybe the napping part is the gift. :lol:

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2011

My son is very minimalist--he would have, honestly, been perfectly content with nothing under the tree. He did get gifts, practical stuff (jacket, sweatshirt, a couple of t-shirts, food to stock his kitchen when away at school, toiletries) and some candy.

We all kept it quite minimal this year, Lauren was the only one who got some "extravagances" (a Coach clutch and a Bench hoodie), but those were found at deep discounts.

24. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 25, 2011

I go all out too... Perhaps I should tone it down

25. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2011

I got my 4 kids in my house. That hasn't happened in awhile. I got to spend time with my older kids while we wrapped presents last night. They are still great kids, just older, wiser and funnier.
    My husband gave me a ring and some earrings, iphone4s, and a purse.

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 25, 2011

I love the snowglobe, bandnerd!

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 25, 2011

You have to do what's right for your family. I'm not a very "stuff" oriented person. That's probably why I don't remember exactly what was in all those piles of gifts every Christmas. The piles of gifts weren't bad in and of temselves, but just something I realized was unnecessary for me, and as it turns out, for my kids. My first few Christmases as a mother I did go all out. Christmas day was hectic and exhausting. My financial circumstances changed and the first year I did a small Christmas was for purely financial reasons. That year was one of the best years ever. Since then, I realized that my kids don't need 500 gifts each. They're just as happy with a few thoughtful gifts, and the lack of chaos allows me to enjoy my family.

28. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Dec 25, 2011

;)We had a great Christmas. The girls each get one Santa gift and clothes from us. My hubby bought me the kindle fire. I am enjoying that. Nothing over the top. I want my kids to appreciate what they receive. That is just me.

29. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Dec 25, 2011

We keep Christmas very minimal for gifts so it was just my husband and I who gave each other a few gifts. As a complete surprise we got a Kindle Fire from his dad and a gift card from Panera from his sister so we look forward to picking up some cinnamon rolls this week. We definately do not buy or receive in excess and I like it that way because there are so many needy people around the world and locally who would be happy just to have a meal or a warm place to stay so we don't need to buy or receive in excess to know we are loved/cared for here!

30. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 25, 2011

And, I just got two tickets to London in April!

31. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2011

I had a great day with the whole family. I live 500 miles from home, so those are a wonderful gift themself!

For gifts, I got a new Vera Bradley teacher bag (so excited about that because the straps on my current one are this close to falling apart), an electric mattress pad, canning supplies, a new Trivial Pursuit game, the last two Harry Potter movies, and a backpack with a water bladder (for hiking).

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 25, 2011

Now I'm jealous. :D

33. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 25, 2011

My mom was nice enough to send me a whole box full of presents, including a stocking with gifts. I think she sent extra since I'm here by myself this year. She sent clothes, a gift card, other small things, and even small gifts for my pets! My grandparents also sent me some clothes and money. My mother-in-law sent me a gift card this year. I know they don't have a lot of money, but tried to do more this year since my husband's deployed. My husband got me a really nice Coach purse.

Of course I would rather have no presents and have my husband here. But it's nice everyone cared about me so much this year.

34. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 25, 2011

Seasons 5 & 6 of NCIS

DVDs for The Lion King and The Goonies

2 stuffed Eeyores

A bread maker...YUM!

A juicer...not sure why or how my dad came up with that gift??

Gift card to Maurices

And my most favorite from my mom...a personalized Vikings jersey! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

35. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2011

Not much, but I had all my kids, and they were happy. It was the first time a couple of them had good jobs and they were very thoughtful and generous with the family which was nice to see. They're growing up!

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 25, 2011

FarFrom...I'm thinking of you. Dh is retired Navy...we never missed the holidays, but I can imagine how you feel.:hugs:

37. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 25, 2011

I was very blessed this year to have Christmas (on Friday), with my Dad and daughter. I haven't seen my dad at Christmas since I was a teenager because he lives on the opposite coast. I was also blessed to watch my daughter be excited about opening presents this year (she's 2 1/2).

Materially, my in-laws, who are always awesome and amazing, surprised my husband and me with a new tv. :) Ours quit working several months ago, and we have been saving up to get a new one, so it was quite a surprise. I don't think we've ever had a new tv, we have gotten ours in the past when they get a new tv, we take their old one! It was definitely unexpected.

I also got the gift of knowing I picked out all the right gifts this year. My husband was stunned that I splurged on him with an Ipad (hey, all that extra tutoring money came in handy), and I made my mother-in-law, sister, and mom scrapbook pages that I framed of pictures with them and my daughter. They all cried. :)

38. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 25, 2011

I got a few gifts but truly my favorite are...

A pair of heart earrings my child was proud that he bought with his own money.

Yen coin (has a hole in the center) put on yarn to make a necklace and displayed in an origami box

Perhaps my favorite was how my 8 year old managed to keep a secret all day for a gift he could only give us at night. He managed to buy a package of sparklers while he was out with neighbors last week at the neighborhood candy store. He bought it with his own money and shared it with the family.

39. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 25, 2011

Nothing. But I didn't give any either.

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 25, 2011

I got a bunch of things I hope I remember them all.
    Pajamas and slippers
    Money from MIL
    panini press
    gift card to William Sanoma
    gift basket with gourmet food items
    Christmas tree ornament
    comforter for our new bed
    a few kitchen items
    We went to my mom's for Christmas dinner and opened presents there. My family was yelling at me to open my presents because I was more interested in seeing them open theirs. My nephew was so cute with all the stuff he got. I think he liked my gift the best :)

41. LilyGirl01

LilyGirl01 Rookie

Dec 25, 2011

I got Coco, my dog, her own stocking filled with gourmet, homemade treats and a Hermes leash and collar