List Openings in your School

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by amedinaoh, Mar 3, 2012.

1. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Mar 3, 2012

:thumb:
    Hey all,

We know how hard it can be to obtain a teaching position. Let's help each other out and list openings in general areas that we know of and the state. It does not need to be your personal school because of privacy concerns. It can be general, such as: private school in Central NC, etc.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2012

I imagine many won't be comfortable posting their school information. Sorry. :(

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Mar 3, 2012

There are no openings at my school either. I also agree that most would be uncomfortable posting such information.

5. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Mar 3, 2012

I agree, it would be putting too much private info. out there but a general area in a state may work??

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 3, 2012

I can say that pretty much the entire public school system in California can not say whether there will be openings for next year until the reduction in force letters go out first on the 15th of this month and then finally in May.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 3, 2012

I'm not anticipating openings in my district, but I wouldn't list them for Privacy reasons.

Nj jobs can be found on njhire.com

8. sonia124

sonia124 New Member

Mar 5, 2012

Schooling for kids has now become a competition. You have to keep your eyes and ears open for any opening in schools.

9. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 5, 2012

I agree that I don't feel comfortable posting. Most jobs in CA can be found on edjoin.org.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2012

Some Long Island school districts-- about half of them-- can be found through OLAS. The rest of those 125 districts have to be contacted individually.

Catholic schools on Long Island can be found through the Diocese of Rockville Centre site. High schools are here: http://www.cathhsli.org/

Private schools are here: http://www.longislandschools.com/long-island-private-schools.aspx

Keep in mind, 7 of those Catholic elementary schools are closing in June.

11. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Mar 5, 2012

We are letting go 30 teachers at the end of this year so I am sure any openings will be filled by the teachers on the RIf list.:(. So sad considering we have already let go over 100 staff members in the last 4 years.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2012

The op was looking for job opportunities as a teacher.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 20, 2012

All listings for my school are posted on the Ohio Department of Education website. There was a mid-year hiring round in January, so there will probably be more growth in the next school year.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2012

Our schools won't have allotment meetings until mid-April. Jobs rarely go up before summer.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

16. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 20, 2012

Openings are a weird thing, they are not always "openings." Teachers I know of still haven't got thier letters for next year. I would say check the districts you are interested in often and send resume that way. It isn't a good market and states making budget cuts will make it worse. People posting job openings may present more problems than helps.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 20, 2012

I just checked Nebraska Education Jobs, and while I didn't count them, I would estimate there to be about 100 jobs. I post this information every year, but no one wants a job bad enough to move to Nebraska. Why, I don't know, it's a great place to live. The pay is dismal, but the COL is low and the people are great :D

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2012

I should clarify- my district. Not the state. However, the state budget isn't finalized until the end of July, so allotments can (and do) always change....

19. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Mar 20, 2012

For some reason your post made me laugh. I'm guessing that it's because I still get asked "why did you move to Iowa?" and it's always "because of a job" ... :lol:

20. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 20, 2012

Related question to this thread: when do your schools hire paras and other classified positions? Do they do so at all after the new school year begins at all? I love my job and don't want to quit, but I'll have an hourish commute after I move in the summer. It's also not strictly in the field I plan on going into.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2012

I just looked on edjoin for my county and found two elementary teaching positions opened so far in one district and a preschool in another.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

For what it's worth, next Friday is the day when our administration starts to look at staffing for next year. (No, I'm not nervous; the staff meeting is always the first day of trimester exams :) )

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2012

All decisions about our staffing are "on indefinite hold" at this point. There is a new provincial budget coming down in April which promises some very, very deep cuts which will have huge implications on staffing. Two months ago, we were confident that we wouldn't be losing any teachers, now we may because of increasing class sizes. My sense is that there will be very few, if any, new jobs in my board for at least the next couple of years.

24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 21, 2012

I think I saw 75 openings in Central Ohio on the ODE website. Not sure about the rest of the state.

25. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2012

It's way too early to know that kind of thing here. We won't know anything about funding until after April 15th. Nobody at my school is retiring. Doubt we'll lose anyone as we're running on a skeleton crew as it is.

26. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2012

We technically have openings posted now, but they'll very likely go to teachers who were RIF'd. I actually think it's kind of dishonest for them to post them and interview outside candidates who have a slim to none chance of getting chosen over quality candidates that have already held the jobs and proven themselves. We have 2 openings and 6 RIF'd teachers- I don't think there's any way that an outside person would be chosen above an internal candidate since there are so many of them.

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2012

Our district has to notify the teachers of their position for next year (or lack of a position) on or before May 8th. So, there really won't be any hiring until after that. At my school (a specialized school), prospective employees will be required to teach a lesson and illustrate their knowledge of the specialized program we teach before they will be considered for a job.

28. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Mar 21, 2012

I live in Wisconsin, and the news said that Milwaukee Public Schools have a lot of baby boomers retiring this year and expect to have a lot more in the next couple years. The news forcasted that they'd be hiring about 200 teachers for next year. I do have to say a word of caution to those interested, though. These are inner city schools with tight budgets and limited resources. There is also a high turnover rate, from what I've heard. So, if that is the kind of environment that you are ok with or prefer, I'd say that you should definitely apply. If not, look elsewhere. It's not good for districts or for kids when teachers take the job just to have one, then leave in a year because it's not what they want.

29. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 21, 2012

I don't know about Milwaukee, but in my area I've been hearing this for years now, and I'll believe it when I see it. Usually it's said by the same people who say there's a teacher shortage. It does have to happen eventually, but it's been delayed even more due to the economic downturn.

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2012

Remember that there is also a big difference between the number of teachers who may, on paper, be eligible to retire and those who actually do.