List of things you need your first year?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by fort worth gal, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 6, 2007

some things that others haven't mentioned:
    hand sanitizer (kids really love the scented ones i get from dollar tree)
    glass cleaner (it cleans everything)
    paper towels
    your own stash of kleenex
    colorful printer paper for important stuff you don't want kids to loose (its so much easier to tell your kids to take out the purple paper than to ask for the blah blah blah paper)
    a pocket chart or whatever you need to set up a management system.
    a planner or date book for you to keep up with meetings and deadlines.
    a classroom calender
    a rainy day or emergency lesson ready to go in the event of an emergency and can be done anywhere on the fly with no electricity. (this has happened to me)
    a complete change of clothes (again...i must have bad luck!)

2. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 7, 2007

I like to have a FEW SPARE PAIRS OF SCISSORS for students who have none and ESPECIALLY a few pairs of LEFT HANDED SCISSORS! (I put elastoplast on the handle so I know which pairs are mine)

I have just discovered a great STAPLE REMOVER for removing thumb tacks from pin up boards - is so easy and quick!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2007

Also, for secondary in particular:

Hit garage sales and see if you can find old textbooks in your subject. Start to build a library. Other textbooks are a wonderful resource to have at home. They provide alternate explanations and, most of all, alternate questions you can use for tests. They also provide extra info you can use to supplement the material in your own text.

That's what's killing me about teaching Frosh for the first time in a bazillion years-- all the books I have at home are Geometry, Trig, Precalc and Calc. (And I HATE garage sales!!)

edited to add: after posting that, I hit Barnes & Noble.com. I got 3 algebra books for $23 with my discount card, free shipping. Thanks for the nudge!!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2007

Alice, I pick up those extra texts, too. My absolute favorite is an old 8th grade workbook - I got teacher edition, too - it is perfect for review packets. Just plain old practice, no extra craziness on each page. I think they were .59 each. I just picked up a great geometry book for .20.

My tip is to use content area words for your weekly vocabulary. I choose 10 or 12 social studies terms (even locations of battles, important people) each week and quiz them every morning. I post them in a pocket chart. It helped their SS retention a lot.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 7, 2007

Stock up on the cheap pencils and sharpen them before school starts. Buy extra glue, colored pencils and all that cheap bargins during the good cheap sales.

Buy a pair of big good scissors that fit your hand for you to use. Also buy a good black gel pen for writing the thank you notes and etc that you want to look extra nice. Also buy a good gel pen to grade papers. I have a pink pen. You will use it lots.

Organize by color. If you see a red folder you know it has reading ideas in it. Blue is math. Yellow is spelling. Green is Science. Orange is SS.

Put forms and letters that you will use again next year in a notebook and protect them with a clear sleeve pocket. They will stay clean and nice. You need a hard copy in case the computer crashes, you move rooms or schools.

Buy stickers cheap at the Dollar Store all ages love stickers.

Thanks for the baseball card idea to put in the treasure box.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 7, 2007

I buy goodies after every holiday. After Halloween and Valentine's Day is a great time to buy snack size candy. It never goes bad. I stock up on pencils, little note pads, even stuffed animals. CVS and Walgreens often have 75% off stuff. Check out cheapo stores like Family Dollar, too.

7. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Jul 7, 2007

Our PTO uses apple tree posters outside each classroom door to get donations from families. Teachers submit a wish list if they want to participate. Volunteers write the items on die cut apples and tape them all over the trees. They attach a pencil with velcro for the parents to record the item on a master list. At Open House the parents are encouraged to pick an apple (or more) to help their child's classroom. I have gotten many items donated that I used to buy myself. Some of the items I ask for are: waterless hand sanitizer, tissues, markers, stickers, wiggle eyes & other craft supplies, extra snacks such as pretzels or animal crackers (for when someone forgets), ink pads, dry erase markers. Some teachers ask for class sets of books or large items- the volunteers will make several apples that parents can contribute towards a larger item. One teacher asked for book shelves & had a volunteer grandparent offer to make them. I also list gift cards to Michael's or Staples so I can pick things up when I need them. I write a thank you note for each item received and be sure to let each family know how the items will be used. Some families pick several apples. Now I keep a running list on a clipboard that I add to whenever I think of something to ask for next year.