List of things you need your first year?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by fort worth gal, Jun 28, 2007.

1. fort worth gal

fort worth gal Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Thought it might be helpful to us who will be starting our first year soon. I am starting a list of things I need to pick up or look for at garage sales and sales. I thought everyone could add things here to help us first years out!

What do I need to add to my list?

3. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

What do you teach/age?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

I teach high school, so I don't know if this will apply to you, but here's what I would think:

Books for student use--fiction, non-fiction

Lots of extra school supplies. Even if the school provides you with these, it's nice to have a few on hand for the kids who can't afford their own.

Inspirational posters

'Me' things--photos of my family, posters of my favorite places, plants... you know, things that will help the kids figure you out

A good organizational system. Do you want to file things? Use binders? Figure this out early so that you're not having to redo things mid-year

Realia and authentic materials. I teach a foreign language, so I try to have real items that represent the culture associated with that language

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 28, 2007

- Pens to grade and write with, for you most likely the ones the school will give you are bad. Give the bad ones to kids who forget.
    - A gradebook or gradebook program. Your school may provide one, but still you might want a backup in case you do like the one that they give you.
    - I bought my own comfy chair for my desk becuase the ones the school gave us are bad. It is very comfortable and was under $100.
    - Binders (sheet protectors if your are going to use them) or folders to use for filing.
    - Videos for your subject area.
    - I personally frame my High School and College Diplomas. I do this becuase doctors frame theirs and I consider myself just as much as a professional and expert in my field as them.
    - Posters having to do with your subject area.
    - You can also get your own posters made at Staples very inexpensively.
    - Personal Supplies and an extra set of clothes, as well as a sweater when it gets to cold.
    - Organizational Trays. My school does not provide many, maybe yours will. I used to have two bins for each class one "in-box" and one "out-box", where I put collected papers and then transfered them to a folder when I needed to take them home to grade. Now I just put them in a folder in my bad. I have two large folders for each class. One to be graded and one graded. I still do have for students to put completed tests/quizzes. Projects and notebooks are turned into large bins.
    - Art supplies such as colored pencils, markers, glue sticks, sharpies, etc. Your school will most likely have a limited supply of these and you will need them for art supplies.
    - I by my own loose-leaf paper when it is on sale becuase I only like the college-ruled kind that is the size of a regular 8.5 by 11 piece of paper. I am OCD.
    - Prizes for games! Even at the High School level the kids love them. As well as stickers.
    - If you are teaching math maybe some math games or probablity related board games.
    - A calculator for you to use for grades. It is just as easy as an Easy Grader.
    - Large paper clips to collect papers. Your school will not provide these!
    I'll post more as I think of them.

6. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

If you're going to use binders, it helps to have your own 3 hole punch! You might also like having some appliances like elec. pencil sharpener, mini-fridge, microwave...just a thought.

7. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

A good stapler. I love my staples one touch.
    Packing tape, the good clear kind with a nice dispenser.
    Something relaxing to look forward to, ie. a weekend trip in october or a day at the spa.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2007

I bought my own chair, too. I also have my own paper cutter, a long-arm stapler, as well as a 3-hole punch and single punch. Don't forget: lots of bins for storage, scissors (all desk supplies, really), crafty materials, storage containers for posters, etc., a calendar for you and one for the class, games, manipulatives, magnets (my board and door are magnetic), bulletin board fabric or paper, as many books as possible.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

About how much do these posters cost? I looked into getting some large posters made from Word documents that I'd created and they were quoting me like $100 per poster for black and white! I couldn't believe it!

10. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

I think it all depends on what your district will provide.

I wouldn't waste my money with buying pens and classroom materials (i.e. staples, stapler, and etc). Because the school should provide this to you. Or even things that the students should be bringing to school for use.

Also, it really depends on what grade level you are teaching.

11. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jun 28, 2007

I LOVE these!

also:

*Comic Sans MS font for MS Word, and a lot of ink. lol :)

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 28, 2007

Patience, strength, support, and you time!

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 28, 2007

I'd caution you against buying too much until you see what the school provides. Also, don't go overboard with stuff just because you think it's neat or you might use it or someone else swears by it.

I bought WAY too much stuff my first few years.

14. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

I teach Middle School Math. For someone in a similar position, I would recommend:

art supplies (buy during back to school for pennies.) Glue, colored pencils, crayons,
    Backup pencil sharpener (handheld) for state-testing times and just in general
    containers galore
    fabric--bulletin boards and also tops of tables, file cabinets and so on to dress things up
    curtains for your windows if you have any
    games for the down time (dominos are my students fave year after year. also clue and monopoly.)
    a cheap radio/CD player (may get one from the school so wait and see before buying one)
    jigsaw puzzles (students enjoy these if there is a spot to keep it going without having to clean up. I don't, but love using the pieces for BINGO markers, counters for activities and demos)
    posters (handmade, store bought or freebies)
    calendar
    extra EXPO Low-odor or fruit-scented dry-erase markers (I never seem to have enough--This is something you can buy as you need though)
    math games

What you don't need but may think you will:
    Bulletin board letters (can just write the letters yourself on paper and it looks fin. Some schools have die cut machines to cut your own. ( but for a $1 at Dollar Tree you can buy them so its cheap to buy them if you really want them.)

some things you may get from the school, but will need if you don't:
    rulers
    yardsticks
    math manipulatives

I know there is more so I will edit this list when I think of more Middle School Math needs.

15. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

I totally agree. You really need very little to start off. I really suggest waiting on most things except for supplies for a modestly decorated room and office/art supplies which are dirt cheap in July and August sales. The rest really can wait and you will be glad you saved your money. You'll see ideas from other teachers and get a better feel for the needs of your students and for your physical classroom soon enough. It is hard to resist because you are excited, I know, but a lot of stuff really isn't that necessary.

16. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 28, 2007

A supply of "the good Kleenex." For YOU!

17. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

I hope the Kleenex's are needed because everything is going so great that you are moved to tears.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2007

Ummmmm ..... I think it's 'cause you're gonna catch every little germ that flies through the air in your room. Sorry.

19. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Just trying to think positive!

20. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2007

advil, airborne, tissues, and a great pair of comfy shoes!

21. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

A FRIDAY AFTERNOON CLUB (FAC) otherwise known as HAPPY HOUR

22. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

We prefer to call it the Friday Afternoon Curriculum Conference. And welcome, Basam
    :cool:

23. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

:D
    That's great I love it! :D

24. kem

kem Companion

Jun 29, 2007

Absolutely!! I love it : )

25. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Jun 29, 2007

A good multi-vitamin and Airborne!! I stayed sick a lot last year, so hoping my 2nd year will be healthier.

Also, antibacterial gel...giant bottle from Walmart last us almost all year.

oh....Tylenol PM for those nights right before you start! I know I could not shut off my brain, but then again, I never can!! LOL!!

26. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 1, 2007

Can't buy this one, but you will need it your first year especially...a good sense of humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Anything you buy, be sure it is something you want for your peace of mind and it makes life easier for you. Definitely see what the school provides first. Ask for donations from anyone and everyone and THEN go shopping for the things you didn't receive.

28. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 5, 2007

Congrats on your first teaching job!!! You might want to think of a theme for decorating your classroom. That way you can be focused on what to buy in the way of decoration. Even older kids love themes. Be sure to put cute pictures of the ones you love in frames or on a bulletin board.

29. roadrunner

roadrunner Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I always get our poster boards from Lakeshore. I think you can order 100 for about $45. Most teacher catalogs have the white poster boards by bulk. I use them for my materials for each theme. I also use them for each child's portfolio. I fold them in half with a 1 1/2 inch lip to put their name. I take a picture of them and place it on front and their draw their family and date it. I laminate and reinforce it on the sides with staples. The parents love this. A great keep sake.

30. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 6, 2007

Here are a few things that helped me get through my first year.

~ a good, workable calendar system (to keep up with all the deadlines!),
    ~ a notebook to keep track of and write meetings notes in
    ~ start a happy folder (this is a folder where you place all positive notes, i.e. Valentine's from students, notes from your admin or parents, etc. and you add to it year after year
    ~ a stash of easy snack or lunch items (cup o' ramen, trail mix) when you are hungry during planning or forgot your lunch and theirs is scary :)
    ~ relaxing music to play in your classroom while you are planning

Good luck!

31. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

I noticed that you are a 4th grade teacher. What kind of themes have you used and what kind of name plates have you used?

32. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2007

I love my font software that you can purchase at any teacher store. It includes all the fonts you may ever need as a teacher.

33. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

whats the name of the software Mable?

34. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 6, 2007

One of the new teachers in my building kept a diary/journal of her first year. Not only did it serve as a memoir, but she was really able to see how she had grown as a teacher and analyze what she needs to do differently.

I'd also add a digital camera to the wish list. Take lots of pictures of your kids and display them around the room or on your class web page.

35. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2007

Having just completed my first year teaching, I have a few ideas for you. First do not count on what the school gives you, yeah they gave me a stapler, but it sucked and its spring exploded (think boing!) and never worked on more than 5 pages, so get a nice one for you to use. Pens, several colors for grading. Pencils, regular and mechanical, add whenever you see them on sale, sell them to students for 10 cents each to supply money to buy more. Buy binders/folders to keep lesson plans in (trust me the binder approach is the best, one binder per unit, all over heads worksheets and keys, readings, projects all in one place!) White board material from homedepot, get it cut down and turned into personal white boards, white board markers, post it notes, and something to keep it all in. I got those cheep plastic drawers to keep it in. Oh, and I got my own VCR, because I knew I would never remember to request it.

Good luck, hope I helped.

36. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2007

Be sure to check out the thrift store. I have gotten both my heavy duty 3 hole punch, and stapler from there. They also have some of the other organizational things sometimes.

37. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 6, 2007

If you were meaning me - I've used happy faces and lady bugs for the two years that I had 4th grade. I'm thinking of using a color scheme of green and purple this year. I am looking for cheap fabric, but may tie dye my fabric myself. I think the kids would like that. I may do frogs or something like that with the green and purple. Any one got any suggestions for something that would go well with those colors? One of the teachers across the hall did everything in turquoise. Hope you have fun planning your theme/colors.:)

38. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

Medication to get through the days you are feeling under the weather - pain med, women med, anti acids if you are prone to heartburn.

Feminine products (nice for you when you need it and for the occasional student wh is brave enough to ask for one)

Snacks for you. Something quick like granola bars.

Nail clippers (I am forever breaking my nails)

Chap-stick

A reusable water bottle (I like to bring iced tea)

Extra hair tie if you have long hair as well as a comb.

A jacket or a sweater (even if your room is always comfy it can prove valuable during a fire drill)

An extra pair of socks

39. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 6, 2007

You can get poster board 3/$1 at Big Lots. Sometimes Walgreens has it on sale for that price, too. I always buy it then and stock up.

40. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 6, 2007

fort worth girl - I saw in another post you got a third grade position - congrats!

I've never used the third grade version, but I loved The Mailbox Superbook - here's a link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Mailbox-Superbook-Complete-Resource-Third-Grade/dp/1562341995

Also, like others have said, stock up on school supplies! Get lots when they're cheap. Get a copy of your kids' school supply list and get extras of everything they need.

And...
    Chart paper
    Plastic bins for organization (file boxes, etc)
    I love the Unikeep binders (http://www.unikeep.com/) - a little pricey but they keep loose papers together
    Lotion
    Organizers for materials on your desk
    Bins for books in your classroom library
    Small prizes for students if you do a reward system
    Pocket charts
    BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS!
    Cute decorations - check Ikea if you have one near you
    Snacks for yourself, as others have said - individually wrapped items that don't go bad, plus plastic utensils if needed
    Nice tote bag to carry items to and from school - or a rolling cart if you feel it would be necessary
    Print Shop makes nice-looking documents like newsletters, signs, etc.

Try checking out Beth Newingham's site if you haven't already...

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

Congrats again!

41. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jul 6, 2007

Thanks Teacher Chele, I did mean you. I was actually thinking of smiley faces so that maybe what I use. Enjoy your planning time also, tie dye is alot of fun.