List of nice things to tell a student? Good job! Excellent! Way to go!...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Maestra Ita, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Maestra Ita

Maestra Ita Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Hi, I will be teaching English in Puerto Rico, this is my first year and I am learning English my self.... It's not easy, so I was wondering if anyone has a list of nice things to tell the students when they do a good job. Just to write on there notebooks, or just to tell them... Thank you! You have any other advise, like phrase of the day to put on the board........ Please help!

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 29, 2008

4. Maestra Ita

Maestra Ita Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

I was hoping that you answer my question, you are so good in helping others. I made my Homeworkopoly yesterday, thanks to you! This is just what I was looking for....

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks, jem!

6. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks Jem!

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2008

I used to have that poster that said, 100 Ways to Praise a Child. That gave some good ones.

8. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I don't want to be a downer or anything, but you should avoid generic praise. Saying good job, or excellent, or wonderful all the time is nice, but not very effective.

For example, in math, instead of saying "good job" you may want to say something like "I really like the way you showed all your work." Try to be as specific as possible.

This does a better job reinforcing the behavior you're looking for.

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2008

I'd add that some research seems to suggest it's much better to praise for the amount of effort put into something rather than the actual end product.

You know, part of the stand-up act "What do you make?" response: "I can make an A- seem like a slap in the face and a C+ seem like the Congressional Medal of Honor"

10. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

exactly. can't stress enough to never praise success as "you're so smart!" because then they will a) think they don't have to work hard b) attribute all success and failure to ability rather than effort.

11. Maestra Ita

Maestra Ita Rookie

Jul 31, 2008

I understand all of that, but the fact is that my students do not speak English, I just wanted to keep it simple for them... Just something nice to write on their notebook... So thanks all of you 4 your help, the list that Jem sent me is (was) perfect.... I could use an English teacher my self, lol....

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 31, 2008

I have a calendar that gives 101 Phrases of Praise. Here are some we may not say too often:

incredible
    extraordinary
    far out
    outstanding
    marvelous
    superb
    I knew you had it in you!
    sensational
    magnificent
    clever
    brilliant
    remarkable
    what an imagination
    take a bow!
    spectacular

13. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

Thanks Jem! As always a great resource. Funny that I just had a class for my credential last night saying to look for this type of list, either online or compile it in class...works out just perfectly :)

14. fuzzybunnie

fuzzybunnie Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I know your students are just learning English, so maybe one-word comments are appropriate at the beginning of the year, but maybe you could do short phrases or sentences later on as part of the whole learning experience. As I think about it, maybe the sentences work best when spoken so that you can use body language to help with comprehension. Just a thought.

15. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

Maestra Ita,
    I work with Spanish speakers. When I speak with the parents I often run out of those positive phrases when I want to let them know how well the child is doing in class or out on the playground. Do you happen to have any lists in Spanish that we might be able to use. I speak some Spanish, but I don't have a native speaker's ability when I need just the right word.
    (Tendrias una lista de palabras or frases en espanol que pudiera yo usar cuando quiero comunicarles a los padres los hechos positivos que han alcanzado sus hijos? Puedo usar las frases mas basicas, pero necesito mas que 'trabaja muy bien'... me entiendes? Gracias!)

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2008

Love it, Ms. I! Last year, I decided to work on my 3rd graders' vocabulary without them even really knowing it. I printed out something like 300 phrases/words of praise, and I used each and every one of them, either by writing them on their work or telling them when they had done something wonderful! My 1st graders this year will NEED a lot of love, so I'm hoping to do something similar with them!

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 1, 2008

Totally agree! You are awesome!!:hugs:

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2008

Yes, that is indeed a good way to increase vocabulary, plus the kids will learn that many of the words are synonyms & they'll quickly know what the antonyms would be.