List of Ideas

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MrsHoot, Jun 25, 2010.

1. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 25, 2010

Okay, so I have been gathering lots of ideas from lots of websites. I thought I would share what I really like so far, in case anyone else wants to use them as well.

*Star Student of the Week-- Beth Newingham has a great method for this. Monday-- Bring in a sharing sack, Tuesday--Favorite Book to read (or teacher to read), Wednesday-- Letter from parents that is read to the class, Thursday--Lunch with parent or special lunch with teacher if they are unavailable, Friday-- Present student with a poster that has their picture on it, and positive comments from all classmates.

*Mystery Reader-- my Co-op teacher did this and I forgot about it! I used Beth Newingham for these templates as well. She has a calendar, a letter about being a mystery reader, and a reminder letter to send to parents.

*Have you Filled a Bucket Today? I am planning on reading this book to the class (still have to buy it) and I bought little planter bucket pots from Target's dollar section. (I was very proud of myself, that I got the pots for 4/$1 instead of the really cute buckets for $1 a piece) and whenever students go out of their way to help someone, they put a fuzzy ball into their bucket and that students. Mostly just for developing community in the classroom.

*My other idea I jotted down, but already forgot what it stood for (lol) was to put up a Debugging sign about tattling. I'll have to google for the appropriate acronym.

There are my ideas so far... what are yours???

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2010

Posting "I can..." signs in the room for various accomplishments.
    For example - I do NOT tie shoes. Have you seen the kids' bathrooms? Eek! I can only imagine what is on those laces. It's just something I cannot do. So... every time a kid learns to tie a shoe (and shows me at recess), they get to use my sharpie and sign their name on the laminated "I can tie my shoes!" poster. Whenever there is a kid who needs their shoe tied, I tell them to go ask someone who has signed their name on the chart.

4. sally reading

sally reading Rookie

Jun 25, 2010

Lynnnn725

Oh, Lynnn, I really like that idea!! How about finding clipart of a can, enlarge it, and then write their names and what they can do on it. You could have several cans around the room!

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2010

I can't take the credit! I stole it last year... probably from this site!
    The cans are a good idea!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 26, 2010

I've done Mystery Reader Fridays as well-but I got a little lazy with it mid-year :whistle:. I would start the first couple with our administrators/nurse, etc. So the kids could get to know them better.

I really like that bucket idea (now I'm just going to HAVE to go to Target :p ). I think I'm going to have the kids write affirmations to give to their classmates. They used to kind of do that last year anyway in our letter writing center.

7. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jun 26, 2010

I do a "star of the week" thing that's similar....

Monday I have them share their poster that they took home over the weekend. Then, as a class, we brainstorm what we learned about the person. Then each child writes him/her a letter on fun letter paper. I bind all the letters into a special book that they get on Friday. I love doing this because it is an awesome writing activity. At the beginning of the year it is very challenging for them to write 1-3 sentence letter, but since they are doing it all the time, later in the year they are writing these AMAZING letters. Plus the "star" gets a little memento of first grade to save. I highly recommend!

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

I actually send my star students posters home around the 2nd week of school. I send them home with every student and set a return date. Then the busy parents won't have to worry about it during the year. Our parents worry about baseball, soccer, piano, etc... and it gets hectic during the year. This way it is done, out of the way and I just pull it out when it is that child's week.

9. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jun 26, 2010

I LOVE this thread!

Those of you who do mystery readers: how often do you do it?

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 26, 2010

Debug, as far as I can tell isn't an actual acronym. I haven't been able to find one. Our steps are:

1. Ignore.
    2. Move away.
    3. Politely ask them to stop. (explain)
    4. Firmly ask them to stop.
    5. Get help from an adult.

Here's another website with the steps:
    http://www.lcps.org/Schools/Carkenord/Behavior/DeBug+System.htmecials/counseling.aspx

There was a cute poster I found one time but I can't find it again.

Thanks for reminding me about the bucket book. I want to read that one too.

11. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 27, 2010

Thanks for the Debugging. I was pretty sure that I saw it here on this site and wanted to have the steps all written out.

I like the "I Can" idea, that's really good!

Flowerpower-- I made out my calendar, but I haven't done it before. I am supposed to start in October, and then I just filled in Fridays for the whole school year. I didn't do the Fridays of the week we had conferences or right before we went on vacation. I am planning on once a week on Friday right after lunch and recess.