List of Essentials for 3rd Grade Classroom?!?!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by teacher0510, Jun 25, 2008.

1. teacher0510

teacher0510 Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

I just graduated with my Masters in May and just found out today that I got a job teaching 3rd grade! I am so excited! My masters program was a year long internship, I interned in 4th grade for 9 weeks, kindergarten for 18 weeks and 1st grade for 9 weeks. So, I haven't actually taught 3rd grade.

I would LOVE to get lists of "Essential" items for 3rd grade classrooms! This school is on a year-round calendar, so I start in a month! I need so many things that I don't even know what I need! Thanks SO much! :)

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

Congrats on the job! Third grade is a lot of fun:)

I'll do my best with a few items...I'll probably think of more after I actually get some sleep!

* a timer with minutes and seconds
    * clipboards (for me and the kids)
    * whiteboards and dry erase markers
    * socks (to be erasers for the dry erase boards)
    * Clorox wipes (my kids clean their desks inside and out once a week!)
    * comfy shoes
    * file folders for each student to keep returned items and important info
    * plastic file bins (I have one for each day of the week and one for "next week")
    * something to organize your classroom library books (I have sterilite containers from Walmart for each genre of my library...I have more than one for chapter books and fiction picture books)
    * a good lesson plan format (I type mine in Microsoft Word, but there are also good premade books out there)

I'm sure there are a few others things I couldn't live without...I just can't think of them right now! :) Feel free to pm me with any questions...I will try to find the link to my classroom pics from last summer (right before school started) so you can get an idea of how I use my suggested things:)

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

5. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

I agree with everything listed by leighbball (great pictures, by the way!). Taking a peek at her pictures may prompt other things. I would also add the following:

* playground equipment/sidewalk chalk
    * bins that organize student files, teacher files (often times a large file cabinet is just not enough!)
    * children's books (which will take time to grow)
    * magazine holders (for your professional library)
    * name plates (for desks)
    * Though having the items are important, I also think non-material items such as a management system, student supply list and wishlist, procedures to accessing resources, where to put what materials for student use, etc. are even more important. This may require for you to create posters for students

It's hard to think of other things in one sitting! I am thinking of the things that I have in my classroom, and trying to figure out what you may already have or may need to provide on your own. Have you ever taught before, or is this your first year teaching?

Welcome to Third Grade!

6. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

P.S. I work at a year-round school too in NC. I didn't think there were many of us ''year-rounders'' out there! What state are you in?

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 29, 2008

Check to see what is in the school supply room. What does the school furnish?

You need personal supplies. Hair brush, umbrella, sweater to leave at school, whistle, deodorant, make-up, hand lotion for chapped hands, band aids so student aren't always running to the nurse, good gel pen for marking papers, lots of stickers, good big pair of scissors that fit your hand, boxes of tissue, one for you only to use and one for students to use away from your desk,

8. teacher0510

teacher0510 Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your ideas and pictures (leighbball)! They are all wonderful! It is helpful to see a 3rd grade classroom!

I am in Arkansas. I will be at a charter school, so they have a different schedule. A few of our regular, public elementary schools are on the year-round program. I've heard good things about it. Do you enjoy it mcangel?

I will be going to see my classroom later this week & I can't wait to actually see it so I know how much room I will have. I also hope I will get to see the supply room hescollin, so I can see what they provide. I am praying they have a laminator, I need to laminate so many things, so they will last over the years.

Thank you all for so many tips, if you think of any others I will be happy to hear them!!!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

I'm glad I was able to help:) Glad you liked the pictures...I just wish the classroom had stayed that way...hehe :D

10. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 29, 2008

Welcome to third grade!
    Here are some thing I love that I haven't seen in previous posts:
    I got a great set of drawers from the hardware store that is the perfect size for all of my little supplies like paper clips, staples, sharpies, etc.
    A CD player/radio to play music while the kids are working.
    Chart paper--great for making strategy posters
    Extra supplies like glue, scissors, crayons, etc.....you'll always have those kiddos that either don't have supplies or runs out of glue, etc.

11. TottalyTink

TottalyTink Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

leighbball I love your room. I am so jealous you have a wall of windows. The layout is great, nice and spacious. Would you mind letting me know what the lilly pads are for. I couldn't read them very well. :)

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2008

Thanks:) Its been a labor of love for 4 years to get it the way I want it!

The lily pads are my job bulletin board. I use frogs for my students names, and they "sit" on the lily pad using stikki clips for each job. Some lily pads have 2 stikki clips if two people can do that job, such as my lunch basket helpers or paper passers. My dad drew the lily pad for me and I copied it onto green cardstock:) I hope that helps!

13. TottalyTink

TottalyTink Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

Teacher0510 I am not sure where you are or what is close to you but Target, Dollar general, Dollar Tree has all kinds of things for teachers. At target go to the $1 bin and then the others have their own teacher section during the summers. I taught 3rd grade last yr. First year, Some things that helped me :
    # your students in ABC order this makes everything easy, lining up, fire drills and when you have subs. Also make them write their name and # on papers.
    Have an apple sheet of 1-25....SS.SCI.M.LA. SP( Social Studies, Science, etc.) You will circle the number of the child who has missing work, and circle the subject. All you have left to write it the page number or wksheet. This is great for documenting late work.(REPETATIVE).
    Assign the children classroom jobs, they love it and it will help you out immensely.
    Walk around w/ a highlighter. As you see correct ans put a dot by them. That way part of the class papers will already be graded.
    One last thing, make sure you have your own trash can and the students have theirs away from your desk. Make sure to take your vitamins, Airborne and sanitizer and use it. Good luck and congrats on this new chapter in your life. Keep us posted and if I think of anything else I will let you know. :)

14. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 3, 2008

15. teacher0510

teacher0510 Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

Thanks again for all of the advice & pics! I am taking notes on all of these great ideas!

16. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 6, 2008

Long list of ideas. Some the school may furnish. Some you can manage without.
    www.buddyproject.org/backpack/info.asp?id=115 www.kizclub.com Couple more good sites for ideas. List of things to have in your room have you thought of: yard stick, ruler, lots of extra pencils, lots of stickers, whistle so you don’t have to yell at recess, a must --bar stool to rest your feet, great to even lean up against or captain’s chair it has a back, but cost more, rubber bands, safety pins, sewing kit –needle and variety of color spools of thread –a dollar at dollar store in a small plastic box, 3 hole punch, single hole punch, stapler, a couple big boxes of Kleenex, paper towels, battery operated fan-style air fresheners, sticky notes, a bunch of extra pencils, (short pencils with no erasers work great (students don’t want to borrow them and for some reason don’t break their lead and remember to sharpen their pencils before class), magic markers with grey included several boxes, good gel pen for grading papers and writing notes, I like my pink, zip lock bags –large and small, masking tape, scotch tape and heavy dispenser, deodorant, brush or comb for yourself, clear finger nail polish for quick fix hose runs, nail file for broken nails, large paper clip for your use so much better than the small ones, disinfectant (clean desk tops, pencils and door knobs –keep your room as germ free as possible, rubber gloves, Bloodborne pathogens are very real!! big scissors to fit your hand, erasers for top of pencils boom box, tape recorder, CD something to play music and etc on. digital timer, Glue: buy one small glue bottle for each student, than when bottle gets used, refill from your big bottle, which is cheaper, buy during beginning of school sales. Little bottles work better with little hands. Glue sticks are best. But cost more. Mavalus tape . Calendar, camera, dictionary – thesaurus, extension cord and adapter. Slide-grader. Umbrella. A couple fresh green plants. Go to garage sales, flea markets, Good Will, Salvation Army and thrift shops and buy books for in your room. If there is a box ask how much for the whole box usually cheaper. Tell them it is for a classroom, usually give you a discount. Buy a stamp pad and stamp “Property of your name” stamp on first page and along the edge if possible and several other places. Need book shelves. Buy used book shelf size of your file cabinet, butt it up against one side of the cabinet and use other side for a magnet board center.
    File folders –one for each student, keep all notes to and from home, note late papers, lose of recess one minute or two because of behavior problems and etc. Information Sheet. Student’s full name. What student will be called in the classroom, address, phone number, father’s name, address, phone number, mother’s name, address, phone number, emergency phone number, allergies, food and etc. And any other information that I might like to know about your child. A can of play dough for each student for the first day. Students go to their desk and start working with the play dough, while you are greeting more students, makes your room busy and under control from the first moment of arrival, no running around. Stamp pad and stamp with your name on it. Mark everything that you buy. Mark books back and along the edge. Library books for your room --get at garage sales, thrift shops, Goodwill and ask parents at parent night when they clean out their children’s rooms you’d love to have their extra books. You will mark donated by: Your room will look more educational with books on the shelves. Here is an excellent web page, you might want to check out for more ideas. http://www.kinderkorner.com/chklist.html

17. mrs_thompson

mrs_thompson Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I was looking at your pictures from your classroom last year. Everything looks great. Gives me some great ideas. One question...is that a real mailbox outside your door? I think I would love to have one of those, but I wasn't sure if it was a real mailbox or one that you found/made.
    Thanks.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 6, 2008

Don't forget to have "monthly" supplies on hand. Nothing's worse then starting in the middle of the day & not having anything! Aspirin or whatever it is you use. I need to have a fridge for cold water or ice cold caffeine depending on my needs.

19. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jul 6, 2008

Have you thought about ways to celebrate your students' birthdays? You might want to pick up some birthday pencils or maybe some homework passes. The kids feel special when you remember their birthday.

20. teacher0510

teacher0510 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

Thanks so much once again! Wow, you guys have thought of so many ideas!

21. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

Here are some of my 'must haves'

Personal
    Deoderant
    Refridgerator/Microwave
    Lotion
    CD Player w/ variety of appropriate classroom music
    Jumpdrive
    Good Quality colored pens
    A color printer

For Classroom
    Clipboards
    Large Clock
    Supplemental Multiplication Resources
    Treasure Chest with goodies in it
    Whistle
    Some great read-a-louds
    Many shelves/tubs/organizers

I know there are more and I will update if/when I think of them! Good luck. You'll love third grade!

22. bluz

bluz New Member

Jul 8, 2008

how did you make the real mailbox stand/post. I can't wait to make a real mailbox for incentives and suprises but I don't know where to start. I have already purchased a mailbox from walmart and know, how i what to decorate it but don't know how to stand it up. I need an idea:confused:

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

Yes, it is a real mailbox. Our school participates in the "Wee Deliver" postal system program (we have an inner-school postal system). :)

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

I didn't actually make it...it was left by the teacher who was in my room before me. I know it has a straight wooden post going down from the middle of the mailbox and then the post is nailed on a square piece of wood. It stands up pretty well.

25. bluz

bluz New Member

Jul 8, 2008

thanks I'm not a diy person but i wll try to make my own

26. Criseyde

Criseyde Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

I like the labels you can print on your computer. I usually make half a page for each student name at the beginning of the year, then slap 'em on as needed. Works great for things like folders and workbooks, and also student projects. I used the regular mailing labels for those. The return labels I used on file folders (I hate handwritten labels, don't know why) and the 2X4 I used for labeling things like book bins.

27. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 17, 2008

I hate handwritten labels too! :)

28. jbcteacher

jbcteacher New Member

Jul 18, 2008

Buck8teacher - I like the pics you uploaded of the forms in your student binders. If it isn't too much trouble -- could you email them to me? jbcteacher@gmail.com Thanks. I'm new to third and these will be helpful.

29. triplem

triplem New Member

Jul 18, 2008

Also new to 3rd grade

I was really impressed with the pics from the student writing binders. If it isn't too much trouble for you, could I also have them emailed to me at mmm_mandy@hotmail.com. thank you:)

:)