Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe Book

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by ~Teacher~, Sep 4, 2005.

1. ~Teacher~

~Teacher~ Rookie

Sep 4, 2005

Ideas on how to create interest inreading this book? I would like to do some decorating in the class as well but struggling to come up with great ideas and activities.....it's for 6th grade...

3. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 4, 2005

I remember being captivated by the opening of this book. (At least I THINK it was the opening--if nothing else, just a little bit later...) Anyway, why not let the class (they're plenty old enough and probably quite creative!) build a "set" of a wardrobe in the forest...or something like that. You could perhaps even read the first chapter or so before they do so, and then let them at it! Maybe they could add to the design as the book goes along...They can be "in" the scene while they're reading!

Or, you could have them do creative writing based on the allegorical aspect of the book; you could assign chapters to groups to write their own scripts/skits. What does this mean? What could it mean? There's something about "bringing it to life" that always makes things more interesting! I love that book, and the whole series for that matter!

4. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Sep 5, 2005

This book is also going to be a movie - I beleive it comes out in December - I am saving this book so hopefully a field trip...........i love when the kids compare the book to the movie - especially when they say the book was better ;-)

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 5, 2005

You could make dioramas - stand shoebox tall, decorate front like a wardrobe and leave a large enough opening to see inside. Decorate the inside like Narnia. I usually have them choose a favorite scene to create. Fun, creative, and doesn't need much in the way of supplies.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 5, 2005

The elements of the book are amazing. Review to the kids what types of books they read and WHY do they choose them. Such as mystery- for the plot changes, Medical- for the stimulating use of real terms, romance- for the fantasy moments etc..
    Chronicles of Narnia, The lion, the witch and the wardrobe include:
    orphans from war
    the creepy mansion
    Finding unknown land and keeping it a secret
    talking animals
    characters that are animals but with human traits/emotions
    evil witch
    magic
    adventures to save Narnia
    etc...

7. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 5, 2005

I would add to Mommaruthie's post...the sense of good vs. evil, with good winning out...a great way to emphasize morals and ethics. I would also encourage a biographical study of C.S. Lewis ("Meet the Author"). Good stuff. (He was also friends with J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Hobbit, etc. Now there's ANOTHER nice set of stories!!)

8. DominiqueTrav

DominiqueTrav New Member

Sep 22, 2005

Hey! I think you could decorate the door like the mirror of the wardrobe. What better way to enter the classroom than to actually enter the book!

9. ~Teacher~

~Teacher~ Rookie

Sep 24, 2005

Another great idea!! Thanks!

10. ~Teacher~

~Teacher~ Rookie

Oct 19, 2005

Well...we started this book this week!!

I created the front of my classroom doorway as the wardrobe and free hand drew a huge lion to go over the big entry way and drew out the Narnia map so that it covers a large portion of the wall. It all looks cool and many other students want to join my class!!!

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 19, 2005

Have the students create "movie posters" advertising the book. For examples, go to AllPosters and order some of the movie posters!

12. Syele

Syele Companion

Oct 19, 2005

narniaresources.com will send you posters and stuff(bookmarks) from the movie and you only have to pay shipping. I got so many posters I could send one home with each kid and have plenty left over.