Lining up

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mjennings, Jul 25, 2005.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 25, 2005

Does any one have any cute chants or cute sayings/ideas to get first graders to line up quuickly and quietly..(well as quick and quiet as first graders can get! :))

3. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 25, 2005

Not really, but with my 3rd Graders I try to call them by things like...
    If you are wearing red line up
    If you have glasses
    etc.
    I also make sure they have a row number or a group number depending on how I have thier desks set up. I call them by the quietest row first and so on. They get pretty quiet that way.
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2005

my hands are waiting by my side
    im standing straight and tall
    my eyes are looking straigt ahead---
    shhhhhhh im ready for the hall (whisper the last line!)

5. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2005

ooppss! Its :

my hands are HANGING by my side!

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

I do what Amanda does, or have the helper pick a way to line everyone up. Once they are lined up, I have them "put on their marshmellow shoes, and take their voices out" I tell them to put their voices in their pockets or hold it in their hands.........may be too silly for first grade, but it works wonderfully with K!

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 25, 2005

I also heard someone tell K's to walk "with marshmallows in their mouths"

8. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 25, 2005

Dr. Jean's cd All Day Long has a song about lining up- the cd has transitions for the whole day!

9. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 25, 2005

I usually do facts or math items with their numbers. I have third graders so I'd toss out some crazy problem and whoever answers first, that person's group lines up. I try to make sure I don't call on the same person all the time, though.

10. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

Marshmallow toes and and bubbled mouths.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2005

I call by the quietest and most respectful group (there are four groups of students in my classroom). My fourth grade students then make a "2Q" Line- quiet and arms at their sides.

12. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

I do it so many different ways. Making it a competition really works. Compete among tables or boys vs girls. You can give points and at the end of the week the quietest group gets a sticker or something. As far as the hallway goes - we do bubbles in mouthes and ducktales with hands (arms behind back, holding hands together).

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 26, 2005

I tell the kids to put marshmallows in their mouths. I change it and say put your cookie, popcorn, jelly beans, ice cream etc...
    Sometimes I line them up in a pattern such as boy, girl and so on.

14. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

When I taught 1st grade I taught my students the alphabet in sign language.(We used it for silently spelling our sight words and spelling words.) After they knew it, I would have them line up by signing a letter for the first letter of their name. They would quietly get in line and if they talked they would go to the end or have to sit back down and try again.

I also kept my line in alphabetic order. I would write the kids names on cute cutout cards, punch holes and hang them on a ring by the door. Every week I would flip it to the next person to change leader and last week's leader would go to the end. The kids learned that they had their place in line and didn't have to hear "stop cutting", "I'm first". We would also use our line order when we learned about and practiced ABC Order.

15. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 26, 2005

Also - I talk with a soft voice when we're lining up so we can get our voices in check for the hallway. My kids always liked that because they would try to hear my lining up method and would become super active listeners. Never thought about teaching that way, though :)

16. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 26, 2005

thanks for the great ideas...but what are bubble mouths and marshmellow toes?

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

:D Marshmallow shoes refers to the fact that our feet our very, very, quiet in the hallways.......I ask them to picture how a marshmallow would sound if it were walking.............they laugh and say it wouldn't make any sounds! BINGO..........they get how I want them to be..........I'm very visual with them~!lol. I have them take their voices out and hold on to them or tuck them in their pockets so I won't hear any talking..............Oh, one more thing, when I ask them to put on their marshmallow shoes, they physically act it out.....each foot gets a marshmallow on it! Oh Kindergarten......gotta love it ;)

18. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

WHEN your mouth is bubbled, your lips are sealed (and usually your cheeks are puffed out) to hold in that bubble. If you talk, you will lose your bubble!

19. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I do a lot of those things too. I also do "Peace" and "Quiet." When walking in the hall the kids need to have their hands at their sides/pockets and voices off or ... (we do this everytime at the beginning-) they show me peace and quiet by giving me a "peace" sign with one hand and putting their other hand over their mouths. Hence, Peace & Quiet. It works really well and is a great visual reminder because I do it too. :)

20. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jul 26, 2005

How 'bout, "Last one in line is a rotten egg!!" Just kidding!

21. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

I got this poster from Really Good Stuff...

When our hands are at our sides
    We're lined up straight and tall
    Mouthes are closed
    Eyes Look Ahead
    Then, we're ready for the hall

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 26, 2005

I know TxSandMom was kidding about the last one in line is a rotten egg, but I have actually heard a teacher say 'Last one to the cafeteria is a rotten egg!" Whew.....

23. herins

herins Companion

Jul 28, 2005

I try to think of "games" for walking in the hallway. My favourite one is from Harry Potter. We put on our magic cloaks and sneak through the school. Or we're mice and we don't want the big cats to see or hear us. Being fish works too, because they're too busy making fishy-faces to talk. :)

24. Teri104

Teri104 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

HI, in addition to choosing who and how kids get in line, I also say - hands by yourside, in your pocket, or behind your back. We check hands and if there is any noise - zip it - do a motion like a zipper across your mouth, - lock it - turn a lock at the corner of your mouth, - put it in your pocket, put an imaginary key in their pocket. They like zip it, lock it, put it in your pocket. Last thing, if the line is not ready to move cause they are turned all directions, nose and toes facing the direction you're going to travel.

25. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

This was a fun one to read what everyone else has as ideas! Here is what I use for my 2nd graders:

If you are comfortable enough, to the tune of "If your happy and you know it"

If your name begins with B, please line up.
    If your name begins with J, please line up.
    If your name begins with C,
    if your name begins with D,
    if your name begins with P, please line up.

Of course, you can use any letters that work for your class but they have to be very quiet to hear their letter being called and this way there are only a few at a time going to the line.

26. 3rdgrdteach

3rdgrdteach Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Poem

My class recites this poem before entering the hall:
    Everytime I get in line I stand so straight and tall,
    I keep my hands down by my side, I do not move at all,
    My head is facing forward, my eyes look straight ahead
    My lips are closed, my ears are open, listening to what is said!

27. Alyssa29

Alyssa29 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island

My hands are to the back of me.
    I'm standing straight and tall.
    My eyes are looking forward.
    I'm ready for the hall, I'm ready for the hall.

28. Laini

Laini Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

You could just say "Hips and Lips"..... one hand on their hips, and the other hand is near their mouth with their pointer finger up (as to say ...shhhhhhh).

29. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2005

Once in a while, I play the "talking with no voices game", where they can mouth things to each other all they want, they could even yell, but no sound can come out of their mouth. They like to pretend that they are yelling in the hall...it looks funny to have a whole line of children with their mouths wide open walking down the hall... :)