Lining up to wash hands...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, Sep 1, 2008.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

Any ideas for having the kids wash their hands without chaos? I have 18 four year olds at a time. This year I want to go outside before we eat snack, so that I only have to do hand washing once a day. We just do not have enough time for more than that. This means that when we come in, I will have 18 kids needing to wash at our 1 sink all at the same time. Having them all line up and just wait is unthinkable- I did that at times last year, and it really is just way too much touching and playing around for me. I would like them to go up one table at a time (6 kids) while the others wait, but I am imagining what the others will be doing at their seats. I have a student pass out bowls for snack and I can just see them playing with the bowls out of sheer boredom and driving me nuts! I thought of putting books on the tables for them to look at while they wait, but then I am afraid that I will have destroyed books when they get their snack and spill apple juice on the tables. Any ideas?

3. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

We avoid the sink at snack time and just give each kid a squirt of antibacterial hand sanitizer to rub over their hands. :)

4. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I've had 16-18 three year olds and we wash hands upon arrival, before snack, after snack, and after using the bathroom. I'm lucky because my assistant takes half to another classroom to wash hands before snack. We give each a squirt of soap, then they wash and dry. I'm watching over the snack tables while they look for their names and we spell them, spell backwards, spell from memory, and so on. It does take a while, but I prefer soap and water to hand sanitizer before eating.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 1, 2008

Licensing requires us to not use the wipe/anitbacterial hand sant option - although in public school classrooms they do. So we had to invent things to do.

Here is what we came up with:

Since phonemic awareness is a #1 target we inserted the rhyming and other sound games into that spot.

We also draw magnetic letters (that get put in diswasher-so they are clean and the clean hands stay clean) then the children collectively identify the letter and sing one of the many letter sound songs that we have going on.

After the attention wanes we move into the ASL finger alphabet.

As a private program we are allowed to have grace and that also goes into this spot, that might not be good for everyone.

So, that is what we do while we are waiting for washing. We have to wash no less than 6x a day (10 hr day). Health Dept is happy, but we don't know we are busy washing.

6. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

I try to plan my day where the kids are doing various things at one time. So, when we're getting ready for AM snack, two or three kids wash first and set out snack. Others are still putting things away, depending on who has what job. They wash up as they finish rather than all at one time. They also know it's good manners to wait for everyone until we begin. It works for us, but it takes at least a month to set it all up right.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2008

Can't you take the kids to the bathroom? our Bathrooms have 3 sinks and that pretty much tackles everyone pretty quick.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 1, 2008

we also take our kids to the bathroom-- I have my kids sit on one side of the hall against the wall and when they have washed their hands they go sit on the other side of the hal so I can keep track of who has gone already-- we say the alpahbet, count to 20, sing songs, recite poems--or often I will do a follow the leader activity where I am the leader and I do things like clap my hands, pat my head, stomp my feet etc. another thing I have done is have the kids count while a freind is washing up-- count to ten while your friend washed -- and see if we can beat them-- keeps the kids occupied and give the washer incentive to not dawdle---either they want to beat us or they want to join in the game--

9. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 1, 2008

you could read a group story to kids at the tables while a table at a time goes up to wash...play I-spy...play simon says...play a guessing game about what kids are having for snack (giving clues about characteristics, etc).

10. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 1, 2008

No, we can't go to the bathrooms. I am in a K-5 school, using the bathroom would require walking them all down the hall and taking up the only bathroom on our floor from the rest of the kids. It would be more hassle than it's worth.

11. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 2, 2008

we can't use the hand sanitizer either, so I am doingbasically the same thing as sarzacsmom. :dunno:

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2008

What about singing songs? 4 yr olds LOVE to sing and they need it to help develop their musical skills. It's a great transitional piece, and you can even do a little group thing where the kids sit together on the floor and play singing games while a few wash their hands.

13. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Sep 2, 2008

Most of the time I walk down the hall to our bathrooms. We have 5 sinks there so it goes quickly. When there is another class at the bathroom or we are staying in our room for some reason, I use the one sink in my room. I try to keep most kids on the rug and just call a few at a time. When they are finished they do sit at the tables and wait for snack. We squirt soap on hands while they are waiting in line so they can rub their hands together while they are standing. Then, it is rinse and dry.