Lining up sub jobs...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, Aug 27, 2009.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 27, 2009

Alright...don't anyone get too excited. I'm not even a sub yet in the county so no official jobs are lined up. Just wanted to share...so tonight was my daughter's open house at her middle school. It was the most disorganized thing but I'll get to that later as a side note of what not to do. So I was finally able to go up to her Language Arts teacher to thank her for an email she sent me today (this was in response to an email I sent her about my daughter forgetting her hw and that I was just letting her know and not asking for her to have additional time to turn it in because as a teacher I hate when parents do that). Anyway, she asked me tonight where I was teaching. I told her I was still looking and then she looked puzzled. I had to explain what was going on. She asked was I subbing and I told her I had made an appointment for an interview. She said she would keep me busy with subbing--she has some surgery that has to be done. I don't know that I can sub for her since my daughter is in her class but isn't that nice? :)

I cannot believe how disorganized this open house was. It started at 6:00 and I couldn't get there until 6:20--had to pick up the other child from another activity and drop him off at home...can't be two places at the same time. Anyway, so they were changing classes and the teachers were talking about their policies, etc. Well some of these parents took this opportunity to hijack the teachers for mini conferences! This is all while we sat there watching and listening! My point of saying this is, when we get our own classrooms we need to politely say, I'll be happy to schedule a conference with you but I cannot talk about the specific needs of your child right now. I'm annoyed because we are in a new area and I'm not sure what the policies of the teachers are and what my kid is learning because of these bozos but I also blame the teachers.

3. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 27, 2009

Open house? Do you mean Back to School night?
    Yes, those parents who try to highjack the teachers for personal conferences are highly annoying.
    You're right the teacher should have been more assertive with them but I can kind of understand why she wasn't. Disgruntled parents can make a teacher's life a living hell.
    I am in the similar situation. My son's LA teacher also asked my if I would be willing to sub her class. While it's allowed, I think it might make my son and I feel awkward.
    So, talk to your daughter about it and if you both feel okay with the idea, you should do it!

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 27, 2009

Bernice they called it Open House. She had orientation before school started. When my daughter was in K, 1, 2 I subbed in her classes and she didn't mind. I'm very careful not to play favorites. I'll definitely talk to her but she seemed kind of proud to have her teacher ask me to sub. :)

5. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 27, 2009

That's great--good for your daughter. Then you should do it.
    My son acts mortified at the prospect!
    Okay, out here they call the first classroom gathering Back to School night. This proceeds the orientation. The last classroom gathering ocurs in late spring and they call it Open House in which parents get to see what their children have accomplished in the classroom all year.

6. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

It's called Open House here, too. My kids didn't want me subbing in their class 'cause they knew I'd be harder on them than a "regular" sub! :p

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 27, 2009

I think the schools just call it whatever they want. LOL! It was just a hot mess tonight whatever they called it! LOL

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 27, 2009

Okay ladies, please clue me in--does this mean you all have two open houses per semester and no back to school night?
    I don't mean to belabor this petty detail but as a parent, I have been corrected so many times when I called back to school night, 'open house' by some smug person.
    Yes, my son doesn't want me to sub his class because at age 11.
    I could only do it if I pretended I didn't know him.
    Since we have last names I think it might work but of course, when I start calling him 'dear' that's a dead give away.

9. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 28, 2009

Bernice, I don't know what they do here since we just moved. I imagine it is just one Open House or Back to School Night. When we lived in GA, I can't remember what the middle school called it but I do know the elementary school called it Back to School Night and that was pretty much the only thing they had for the whole year, except conferences, where we could see our children's work, etc. In FL, I don't remember what they called it either. I just know I went. I don't think it really matters what it is called as long as the parents show up and show they care about their child's education, IMO. :)

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 28, 2009

Here, we have back to school nights BEFORE school starts - like a student (with parents) meet the teacher/see the room/drop off supplies (often time it's a party atmosphere with an ice cream social or something of that sort as well. It's just a walk through and a chance to say hi. no more... and THEN an open house- which is more like a parent orrientation for the entire classroom of parents a week and a half or so into the school year. (IT IS MADE CLEAR by previous notes home and by a full school welcome speech from the principal at the beginning of the evening- that this is NOT a time for private conferences regarding a particular student-but a GENERAL time to see the room, your child's desk/work so far, and to hear the policy's of the classroom. The teachers would often have sign-up sheets for yearly conferences available for the parents...and in OUR area... it was the REASON you nearly RAN to the classroom - to beat the other parents to the lists.

But my children's old district ALSO had a PIE conference. PARENT INFORMATION EXCHANGE (in some areas this might stand for partnership in education conference). This was a short (15 minute TOPS) conference where the parents would tell the teacher (insights) about their child...and answer any of the relevant questions a teacher has. They would set general goals for the student, and these would be revisited at later parent/teacher conferences.

I always liked the PIE conferences (I realize that teachers form some areas will-for the same purpose-send home the about your child in a million words or less assignment), but I used to question their timing at our district. They were scheduled two or three weeks into school. (they would say that it gives them time to mee the child). By THAT time, i think a teacher HAS a clue to my child - more than she might need to hear from me. I would prefer PIE conferences BEFORE school starts.

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

I went to my daughter's middle school Back to School night last night, too! Fortunately it was pretty well organized. We had a map and my daughter filled in her schedule. 10 minutes in each class and then the bell rang. No one interrupted the speeches for their own private conferences, thank God! That was so rude!
    My daughter wants me to sub in her class. But I really only want to sub in early elementary! I have had subfinder call me 2x at 5:40am!!! One was 8th grade boys PE, and one was 8th grade math! I had to turn them both down! :p

12. greengables

greengables Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

Our Open House is a day or two before school starts for children and parents to find their rooms, meet their teachers and drop off supplies ahead of time. We have 2 parent/teacher conferences scheduled for the year-one in Oct. and one in April.