Lining up procedures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by zoerba, Aug 4, 2007.

1. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Last year I had a lot of yackers and I just couldn't find a way to efficiently get them to quiet down. I would have students go back to their seat, simply wait until the line was quiet, or take time off of recess. However, I'd like something more preventative and need some help here.

Here are some ideas I'm tossing around. If you've had experience with these please let me know what worked/didn't work. Also, please share any of your ideas.

1. Lining up alphabetically, always
    2. 2 lines, boys in one and girls in another
    3. Students earn points/marbles whenever they line up quietly the FIRST time
    4. A line 'scout' who rewards quiet appropriate students

3. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

This year I am going to have a line leader and a last in line person the rest will be alphabetical-i guess. Toward the end of last year my Kinder kids argued over who was last. This year I will be in second and hope assigning one person for each end of the line will help. I use straws rather than marbles, but I tell them if they line up quietly I will give them 3 straws, as they line up and noise or anything else that happens I simply say, you are down to 2 straws, and if necessary I take more straws away. I also use the 3 straws for walking to our destination properly. Our class goal is 60 straws for a class event.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

My kids always line up boy girl. Most of the time that works. I do have some students that know they are not allowed to be by so and so. Also, I have a line leader & end line leader who are supposed to monitor talking.

We also play quiet mouse/statue in the hallway. Most years the kids love it (not so much last year), or you can have the kids quietly answer flash card questions. I bought a lakeshore set, and figure that they can take turns asking questions quietly (if they get it right, then they get to ask someone else).

5. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

My students have a number and I call them by numbers (1-5 please line up). It is easier to see who is noisy, etc. Then I have them sit back down and start over if a certain group is too noisy. I make a big deal of "practicing" the right way to line up. However, once they are in the halls, I still have to stop and wait for talkers to quiet down.

6. Mrs. L.

Mrs. L. New Member

Aug 4, 2007

Try number 4 - with a little twist.

I am going to line up according to rows in classroom. I will have 2 line monitors (who will also serve as my door holders). They will each have a class list (copied from a blank grade book and minimized to the size of a small notepad) and a pen. Each monitor will be in charge of 1/2 the line. Their job is to ensure line control: make a check mark in one of the boxes next to a person's name if someone must be quieted down, must be told to tie their shoes, or must be told to walk in a straight line.

When the class returns, the line monitors will turn in their sheets to the behavior chart monitor who will reward each student who did not get a check next to their name with a "ticket" (part of my classroom management techniques involves the collection of tickets that can be redeemed at the end of the week for goodies - the greater the number of tickets, the more valuable the goody).

Of course, remember that strict rules must be given to the monitors to ensure fairness. You should fire any monitor who purposely does not reprimand his/her friend or who picks on someone he/she does not like. That monitor will have to forfeit any tickets earned. This harsh consequence will not soon be forgotten.

Finally, I also collect marbles in a "compliment" jar. I adivse students that whenever I receive compliments on my class or on any individual student, I will put a marble in my jar. I advise them that their chances at getting compliments is when they are in the hallways and at lunch. When the jar is full, we vote on a special "treat" for the class (ice cream party, movie with popcorn, etc). It takes about 30 marble to fill the jar.

Hope this helps!

7. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I use something I call "Stand N Chat". Last year, I had SUCH a chatty class, it was difficult to pinpoint who was talking because it was almost always quite a few. Every morning, I write "Stand N Chat" on the board. As we go through the day, if they start to chat at an inappropriate time (such as when lining up), I erase a letter. At the end of the day, if they have at least one letter left, they get 4 minutes of stand and chat time the next morning first thing. I require all students to get up, move around, and talk during that time. I tell them to talk about anything that they think they would need to talk about during our learning time so that they get it out of their systems. Last year, my class only lost it once, and it was very easy to maintain!

8. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I heard a neat idea last year that I tried a couple of times for lining up and being quiet in the hallway. I told the kids before they lined up that I was choosing a special student whom I would be watching as they lined up and walked in the hallway. I did not tell them who the student was. If this student could line up quietly and walk quietly in the hallway, we would earn a pom-pom for our jar and that student would receive a 25 cent bonus for our classroom economy. If the student I chose met my expectations, I would reveal his or her identity when we got where we were going. If he or she didnt meet my expectations, I would just say, "My special line walker was talking a little too much in the hallway, so maybe next time!" I also encouraged the students in the hallway to be quiet by saying, "Oh I think I hear my special student talking" or "I hope we get to earn that pom pom for our jar." I didn't do it all the time, but sometimes it was a fun way to get the kids to line up and walk quietly.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 4, 2007

I have table groups with colors, and each person at the table has a number 1-4. I plan on either lining them up by color, or number. I can't do boy/girl which I generally like to do, because I have way more boys than girls.

I will say, 1's line up. If they don't line up quietly, it's back to their tables and I will call another group.

I have an assistant each week who is my line leader. That child is the 5th person at one table I have that is larger and it rotates.

10. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I love this idea. I also had a chatty class last year. I think this might work and it sounds easy to use!

11. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

This proved to be a big problem for me last year (in Grade 7!) and this year I plan on nipping it in the bud. I like the alphabetical idea and I think I may try it. This will avoid the jostling that Grade 7 boys like to engage in (I hope) and just help maintain a kind of consistency to the lining up procedure. If they are talking too much, we turn around and try it again. They don't like this and it seems to work, especially if they are on their way to gym and are losing valuable gym time. ;)

12. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 4, 2007

The most practical and quite procedure I had last year was for the kids to line up on their PE numbers. I had numbers on the floor and all they had to do was find their number. It helped with number recognition and I could easily spot the talkers. I also had some line jobs: Line leader, door holder, sign person, and caboose. Line Leader was always one of the favorite jobs.

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

My kids are usually sitting on the carpet when we dismiss for lunch and specials, so I call them by colored rows. Sometimes I call them by their personal numbers. Sometimes I use flashcards and I call someone who is "ready to line up" and they have to read the sight word or solve the math problem as their "ticket off the carpet."

At the beginning of the year we had a boy line and a girl line. We had boy and girl students of the day who did all of the jobs, and they were the line leaders. Later in the year I lost a lot of girls so the lines weren't even. So they lined up in Even and Odd lines. Some of them never got it. I dont understand because they just need to know who is in front of them and who is behind them! There were also some kids who couldn't stand by each other.

When we are all in line, they are usually chatty. So we start singing our Line Up Song.
    My arms are hanging by my sides.
    I'm standing straight and tall.
    My eyes are looking straight ahead.
    I'm ready for the hall.

Usually this works. Sometimes we have to wait. But it's their lunch/bathroom break/specials time so usually we don't have to wait very long.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

A twist on the alphabetical: (First I must say that I like alphabetical because no one can switch spots to be by so-and-so. If you call rows or something, they all end up by their friends. Plus, there is cutting!)

Go through your "line leader" in alphabetical order. So, the student with the last name starting with "z" is not always last, and the "a" is not always first. It will still keep them in order, but they won't always be in the front, in the back, etc...

15. TeacherMelissa

TeacherMelissa Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

These are all such great ideas. I used a "line pass" trick that worked well last year. I would tell the kids I was looking for a student to earn a line pass with good behavior in line. Then half way to our destination. I would stop the line and they would all get super quiet waiting to see who earned the pass. Then the student I chose could go anywhere in line they wanted to.

I also had a rule that kids could always have their place back in line. It eliminated any arguing if someone accidentally stepped out of the line.

16. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

The kindergarten teachers at my school assign the first and last in line as a job for the week. The first person in line is always the "Big Cheese" for the week. The last in line is the Caboose. The little kids do like to fight about who is last in line. This helps eliminate that.

My school goes from PreK through 8th grade. The middle school students (6, 7, 8) rotate from class to class. The problem here is that they aren't supervised in the halls because teachers have another class coming and can't walk them to where they are going. We often find students talking loudly and disturbing other classes. Any ideas how to curb this?

17. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

Like Leans417, I chose a "secret student" to watch as they walked down the hallway. They didn't know who it was, so everyone tried their best so they could go to the prize box! I assign each student a number and put corresponding number cubes in a basket. I'd pick one from the basket, put it in my pocket or memorize the number and off we'd go! It was very effective for the entire school year! I would pick before I called them to line up and say "I know who the secret student is... please line up" and that got our line started the right way!

18. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

We would line up according to which bus the kids rode no matter where we were going. That way there was no doubt about who got where in line. I started off the year assigning jobs of the line-leader, caboose, lights, etc. but it didn't work too well with my class. They never complained about it after I stopped though. I know it's not the most effective way for most classes but I would tell the kids that I had as much time to wait as they did and we'd leave when they got quiet. It did work for my class last year. We'll see about it this year.

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

OK. I'm starting my 22nd year of teaching and I've tried everything! I never know what's going to work ahead of time until I get my students. And sometimes nothing works. The only thing that I've found consistent is when we are going to lunch. If they are talking, I invite the class behind us to go in front. Then I'll wait and they know I'm going to do it again with the next class if they don't zip it. Fifth graders don't like waiting for food and don't like seeing their peers get in front of them! But I'm going to try something someone posted for the other times we line up (Lunch has to be by what they ordered.) I'm going to assign each desk in each group a number and they can line up by group and number. I swear by my little pinky, I'm going to have a class that can close their mouths in the hall this year!

20. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 4, 2007

You might assign a "line order" so you can assure you separate chatty students. It seems every year I have some students who can't do ABC order because they are too chatty with the ones next to them.

21. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

What fabulous ideas. Thanks everyone! I'm thinking that I will call students by either group color or desk #. If it's not effective, I'll change to ABC order. I just need to be ontop of them this year.

22. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I always assign a line leader, but never thought about assigning a "caboose"... good idea. I have always lined my kids up abc order for EVERYTHING, that way they don't ask, do we have to line up abc???? but at winter breat we change it up and line it up cba, (or backwards!)

23. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 6, 2007

I like the abc order, but I do mix it up once in a while, with reverse abc order so the same ones are not always in the front or the rear. I will do caboose this year. I made many arguments over being last on the way to lunch-it appeared the lunch ladies were letting the last person go first to get lunch, so this year I will nip that in the bud with assigned first and last person.

24. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

This is a great idea and sounds like it would be very easy to maintain. I see my students really taking to the "line pass" award. I also like your rule of letting the student have their spot back if they accidentally step out of line. I had this argument in my classroom so many times last year.

25. ericamarie

ericamarie Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

I had numbers for each of my kids...this helped with a lot since all the folders we had just had their numbers and I get to use them again this year : ). Any ways what I had them do was line up in number order. In the beginning of the year I set up my expectations and told them that walking quietly in the hall was not much to ask of them. I told them that if they couldn't make it all the way to where we needed to go in a quiet line we'd go back and try it again. I never actually had to go back and try it again all I would say is "it'll be really sad if we have to go all the way back because a few of you can't stay quiet". No one ever wanted to go back so they'd change their behavior quickly and I never had to single anyone out. Also, during the beginning of the year I would tell them if they walked in a quiet line all week we would have a "whole class party". I only did this for a little while and then I told them that they no longer needed the party for walking in a line because they could do it no matter what I gave them. I kind of hyped up the fact that they could walk so well in the halls and that boost of self esteem really helped. Sometimes the kids just need to be praised verbally for little things like that.

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2007

The kindergarteners where I subbed put a hand on their hip and a finger over their lip (shush sign). So, they couldn't talk or touch anyone. I had a group of 4th graders for 3 days in a row and they were being awful in the hallway. So, I made them walk like the kindergarteners do on the way to lunch. If someone talked or moved their hand, we stopped for 20 seconds. They were not happy when all the other 4th grade classes saw them like that! LOL. I guess I'm evil!

27. jl2teach

jl2teach Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

What a great idea! I had the chattiest class last year and it drove me crazy! I think I may use your Stand n Chat each day as a way to ge them to share and then be quiet. After attendance and lunch count, I think I will try giving them 2 minutes to Stand n Chat before we move on in our day. Maybe if they get it out of their system, they will be quieter later on. What do you think?

28. Carla

Carla Companion

Aug 6, 2007

I just had the students line up behind their desks. no fussing and taking up time to get in line. They were already in line then we file out orderly. This has been the best way for my students to line up. When I say line up they stand up, push in their chairs, and face the front using hallway procedures, hands behind backs. Works great!

29. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

I got this idea from a thread on here a few weeks ago, but don't remember which thread. But anyway, the idea was to teach the kids this chant to get them focused on quieting down. Needless to say...I tried it...AND IT WORKED!!!! My kids totally have been lining up quietly just to be able to do the chant. Here's the chant:
    "Lining up is easy to do,
    when you take care of only you.
    Feet together,
    hands at your side.
    We've got spirit,
    we've got pride!
    Sound off- 1, 2,
    Hit it again- 3, 4,
    One more time,
    OUT THE DOOR!"
    Lol!!:lol: It actually gets them facing forward & ready to walk. I just think they like to do the sound off part, but whatever gets them to hush!:dunno:

I think that I will try the lining up boy/girl idea though. My boys push & argue everyday about who's skipping who in line and this should eliminate that!

30. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

Makes perfect sense! Why do we think we have to form a line before we go out lol. Might try this one.

31. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

I don't care for alphabetical because you may end up with the wrong kids together. I have a reward system (basically a token system) and as we are walking I will 'catch' a couple kids walking properly in line and say I want to try to catch a couple more before we get where we are going. Then those kids get the token when we get back to the room. When I catch the first one, I can see others suddenly 'straightening up' ;-)
    Sometimes I will also assign a student to catch someone doing a good job in line...sometimes I have assigned a secret student to catch someone and tell the kids that SOMEONE is watching, never know who!:up:

32. shortee

shortee Companion

Aug 14, 2007

Last year my 5th graders were so noisy and just could not seem to stay in line when we went to p.e., lunch, etc. I decided, for the last 9 weeks of school to have a contest. I had them line up in 2 lines--one for the girls and one for the boys. Each time we returned to the classroom I gave a point to the team that did the best job. WOW!!! This was so awesome that almost every other teacher made comments about how nicely the kids were walking and behaving. They were really into this, encouraged each other to walk nicely so they could win and it was such a relief for me. At the end of the 9 weeks I gave all of them a prize for all of the nice comments they got and the team with the most points got an additional prize. I was just sorry I hadn't thought of this earlier in the year.

33. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 14, 2007

Sometimes your best ideas come later in the year once you really know your students.

34. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 14, 2007

shortee.....Great name!

35. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 16, 2007

I like the idea of choosing someone! I use popsicle sticks and could just pull one out as we leave! They would be excited to see whose name was on the stick once we got back! I think to pull the same child a couple of times in a row would let them know they are NEVER off the hook! I am trying it!

36. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

My "line leader" calls on students who are sitting quietly to come line up. Anyone goofing around in line goes back to their seat to line up again after everyone's been called. And if the whole line is too noisy they go back to where they started and try it again. (ex. coming in from lunch recess--I will have the whole class get up, go back outside, and come in again if they are too loud walking in.) A couple of times having to do that, and they tend to be pretty good about being quiet in line. ;)