Lining up and staying quiet in the halls

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Luv2Teaching, May 31, 2011.

1. Luv2Teaching

Luv2Teaching Rookie

May 31, 2011

I was just wondering if any of you had some great procedures you use to line up your students as well as keeping them in a line and quiet in the hallway!!

Also, if you take your students to another classroom where there are several other classes how do you round up your class?

Here is an example if the fifth graders at the school have done an end of the year project and invite younger grades to come see their projects kind of like an open house how do you round up all your students in the mist of all the loud chaos? Thanks!!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 31, 2011

Lining up: I give the directions, I have a student repeat them, then I set a time limit. When I say "Go" the students try to line up and get quiet before the time limit.

Walking in the Halls: I give prompts and then when students continue not to follow directions, they practice walking quietly in the halls. I have also given small directions like lets walk like mice and we shuffle down the hall or bunny hop or something small and quiet.

Gathering Kids: About five minutes before I want to leave, I start taping students and telling them to view one more and then head to the door. Usually I can get them all very quickly with little prompting. Then I might send one kid in to round up the other stragglers.

4. janney

janney Cohort

May 31, 2011

When in the hallway it is important to use a quiet or no voice yourself. I try to whisper directions or just point when we are in the hall.

5. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 31, 2011

I just call out my room number, school name, or grade level (depending on the event) and then the various kids gather each other.

6. Luv2Teaching

Luv2Teaching Rookie

Jun 1, 2011

Thanks for the all the great advice so far!! I saw an idea on another forum and one of the suggestions is to have the students pretend they have a bubble in their mouth and if they open their mouth it will pop.

I think this is a good idea but wouldn't it make the students laugh especially if they are puffing out their cheeks? Just a thought thanks!!

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 1, 2011

I use the give me five

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2011

It really depends on the age of the students as well as if you practice prior to walking in the hallways.

9. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Jun 1, 2011

When I line them up I usually yell out Room 324, Mr. Green's Class, or 3rd Grade line up.

10. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jun 1, 2011

I know a 5th grade teacher who starts that from the very first day. When they're walking into the room for the first time, she makes them be completely silent. Once they start walking, if anyone makes a sound, they march back to where they started and begin again. It takes a while, but starting at the very beginning enforces the type of discipline that her class is always known for.

As a sub, you're kind of limited by the fact that the students believe it's a free day. I always line up classes a few minutes early, expecting them to misbehave. Sure enough, before we even get out of the classroom, they start talking. I once made a class go back to their seats four times because they just didn't get it.

The bubble trick only works for very young students. Kinder and first...possibly second. I wouldn't try anyone older than that.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2011

We sing "My hands are by my sides and my lips are locked tight!" and they lock their lips and put the key in their pockets.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 1, 2011

I don't really have a specific "trick" for lining up. I do create a line up order and we use that for everything. (I change it every six weeks so everyone has time toward to front and toward the end). That takes a lot of the struggle out. They always know where to go. If they struggle with noise, we practice at recess. Our school has zero voice in the hall. Some classes follow that closer than others. I'm one that follows pretty closely. I set the expectation and really there haven't been many issues with it.

13. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jun 1, 2011

A line up order is a great idea. The classroom that I'm in currently sings "My hands are by my sides, I'm lined up straight and tall, my eyes are looking straight ahead, I'm ready for the hall." Everyone has to be silent before leaving the room and it has them standing properly as well. This is kindergarten by the way. We also use the bubbles in our mouths as well.

14. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Jun 2, 2011

We do a lot of practicing at the beginning of the year. Since we are the oldest class in the school, we talk about the fact that we set the example for the younger classes. We know in the halls that we walk, we don't touch the walls, we don't talk, and no "flat tires." (Stepping on the heels of the person in front of us!) We earn Behavior Bingo points for good hallway behavior.

Every day we have a different student of the day and that student is our line leader. Students line up in lunch line order. The following day they go to the end of the line then the next person is the student of the day. Our lunch ladies don't mind the different order each day and there isn't one student that is always at the end or the beginning of the line.

15. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Jun 2, 2011

No matter what grade I have taught, each year I PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! If I hear a sound, we return to the room and try again...and again, and again, and again...until it is quiet! One year when I taught fifth we spent part of our recess walking up and down the halls because the children wouldn't be quiet...let me assure you, we NEVER had that problem again!!!;)

Now, for kinder I talk about having a "magic square" in the hall...three tiles away from the wall is the path my students follow. This keeps them away from the walls and helps them stay in line. The concept of walking in a line is foreign to some of these little guys! I've done the bubble in the mouth...we also do museum hands...(hands clasped behind your back - not to touch anything), we do hands in pockets, tiptoe walk, etc. Just different things to change it up!

To call my class I do several different things...one is to clap half a rhythm...then my students finish the clap and listen for directions. If we are outside, I just grab a student's hand and start walking...the kids fall into line like a group of baby ducks following behind me!;) If we are in my classroom and things are a little loud, I'll say, "CLASS" and my students respond with "YES"...then they listen. The love this because if I say it in a sing song voice, they must answer that way! :)