Lining up and hallway tricks

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by amersk, Jun 17, 2009.

1. amersk

amersk Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

Does anyone have any good tricks, sayings, strategies for having first graders line up quietly and stay quiet in the hall? I know there are alot out there, but I can't remember in detail how some of the ones I've seen work. I'm looking for something I can introduce on the first day, and have it work throughout the whole school year.

3. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

I found this idea somewhere on this forum a while back:

I do something called Pocket Pals. Each kid's name is written on a popsicle stick and put in a cup. When we're about to do something that necessitates being quiet (walking in the hall, great behavior at an assembly, etc) I pick two sticks and put them in my pocket. (If we'll be in the classroom, I have a library pocket on the wall that I'll use) The students don't know the names of the children I picked, but I do. If the students I picked are quiet during whatever activity, I'll announce their name afterwards and give that child a prize (sticker, stamp, etc). All it takes is a little, "Ooh, I see one of my pocket pals doing a great job!" or "Hmm, I hope my pocket pals are on their best behavior" to get it to work!

4. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

pocket pals?? that is cute.
    I watch for the secret walker.same concept. it does work very well.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

there's also hip, lip and zip
    and bubbles and hugs.

6. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jun 17, 2009

Dr. Jean has some great ideas "hips and lips" one hand on your hip and your finger on your lip, lick'em and stick'em pretend to lick your hands and stick them in different places like one hand on your head and the other across their mouth.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2009

When our hands are at our sides
    We're lined up straight and tall
    Mouths are closed, eyes look ahead
    Then we're ready for the hall.

I also say:
    Put a 'bubble' in your mouth and keep it there.
    Walk like you're on a cloud.

For quick walking:
    Zip, Zip...we've got lightning in our shoes.
    Q & Q- Quickly and Quietly....

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

I used the PT lines, lines, lines the second half of the year with 4th & 5th. It worked really well with most classes. I'm looking to use it again but find a way to make it better & get all the kids hooked. :D

9. hkh050

hkh050 New Member

Jul 1, 2009

In one of my student teaching placements, one of the kindergarten teachers had her students put their hands behind their backs whenever they were walking somewhere in the hallways. It is something that is so simple, but it really did cut down on the noise. I'm not sure why though. It definitely had something to do with the fact that without their hands, they couldn't touch the walls (and everything else within reach!). It is definitely something that I will be using with my new students.

10. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 4, 2009

Get ready for the HALL!
    H - hands (at your sides)
    A - all eyes forward
    L - lips (quiet)
    L - legs (walking, never running)
    I have a little poster for this. I refer to it whenever we line up.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

I have my children line up in the same order each and every time. My classroom floor has tiles and I start the year by writing each child's name on the tile they are to stand on. I do it in three rows (I'll be adding pics to my site below when I get back in the classroom this week).

This is great for many reasons:

1. It prevents children from rushing to be first (or last) in line.
    2. I manage the line so that my chattiest kiddos are not next to their chattiest friends.
    3. We arrive in a line for assemblies and such and the kids stay in that order. This allows me to also control who is sitting next to each other. I keep the child who needs the most attention on the end.

As for walking in the halls. We have set "check points" where the line leader must stop. This is an opportunity to regroup.

12. old n new

old n new Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

I love the checkpoint idea. My kids seem to get strung out into a loooong line. I will have to try that this year.

13. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

I use checkpoints too. The kiddos learn pretty quick where the next stopping point is and all I have to do is nod to the line leader and they know to continue until we get to the next checkpoint.
    As for keeping them quiet in line the WHOLE time they are in line, I've done things similar to the pocket pals or secret walker ideas. But I've also given the class a challenge such as "Let's see if we can get a compliment from another teacher for being super quiet in the halls." Or "how far can we get without me hearing anything but footsteps?" (they all want it to be the whole way to wherever we are going) This past year, my class would be totally silent in the hall if we were "sneaking" to our special. Sneaking just meant tiptoeing and on the lookout past all the open doors. The office staff loved watching us come their way when we were doing that. :lol:

14. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

I love this one:
    Magic Finger in the air (twirl it in the air)
    Magic Finger in my hair (twirl it in your hair)
    Magic Finger on my hip (self-explanatory)
    Magic Finger on my lip (touch finger to lip - try to keep it there the entire time)

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

Hands on your hips, smile on your lips!
    I love the other ideas above, too and like to change it
    up and make it fun.

16. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

I always assign a line leader and a door monitor so that they aren't fighting for the front/back. I also only let a handful of students line up at a time. (If you have shoelaces on you may line up, if you are wearing stripes, etc.)

Then, I use this poem to get them ready:

I'm looking straight ahead of me
    My hands are at my side.
    My feet at quiet as can be
    I'm ready to go outside/inside.

I also choose a "Secret Student" and will watch to see that he walks quietly the whole way. If he does, the class earns a behavior bingo square; if not his identity isn't revealed and the class will have to try again next time. No one knows who the secret student is, so they all try to walk quietly.

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2009

I also have checkpoints that I talk about on the first day of school. We walk zipped and flipped. Our lips are zipped and our arms are flipped. I talk about the importance of not disturbing the other grades while they are working, making a good impression on others, but I do like the pocket pals or secret walkers. The students would love this and stickers are easy.

18. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 12, 2009

mel-bel I love the secret student idea!

19. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

These are some great ideas that will work even for third grade! I know for my kids simply saying, "Silent in the hall, or silent at lunch." worked great this past year :)

20. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

I write numbers on little counters from my overhead manipulative kit. Then I put them all in a bag and tack them to the wall by the door. Before we head out, I pull one out, look at it, put it back in the bag and say something like "Oh I hope this person can walk quietly! Let's see!" Sometimes the kids in the front will try to see the number, but I never let them see. When I forget to pull a number my kids will remind me. Or I tell them that if the whole class can do it, they win 2bingo squares. It's so simple, but it really works.

21. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 12, 2009

We also do check points in the hall, but for the older kids we try to not have any teachers shut the door as we go by. If the students are successful in not having any doors shut when we walk by a classroom then the students are rewarded at the end of two weeks with a popcorn party. We keep count on a chart on the door- the students put a star up if successful that day or sometimes on a particularly wild day- that particular trip.

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 15, 2009

I also have the students line up in number order every time, which is actually ABC order. No rushing to get in line. The line leader has a very important job, which I explain. Line leader follows my directions, and sets an example for the rest of the class.

I also have "stopping stations" along the route to the playground and library, etc. I bought a package of sparkly stars and other shapes at Safeway, and I stick these to the walls where I want the stopping stations. Line leader stops at all the stopping stations. I might hold the line leader's hand, or I usually travel from the back of the line forward, and that helps them do what they are supposed to do.

23. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

We just role-play! "Okay, today I need you to be mice" or whatever. Sneaking around like undercover agents is fun, too. If your class is really rowdy, though, I would set my expectations before leaving and lay out what the consequences will be. Line leader is always first, kids who "cut" always end up in back (or holding my hand!)...

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2009

At my last school, the principal mandated that students walk in lines "flipped and zipped." Their arms were flipped (or folded across their chests) and their lips were zipped. They used to do the hands-behind-the-back procedure, but decided to "flip" them in front for safety reasons. It is much easier to reach out with your hands to catch yourself if you trip and your hands are already in front!

25. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 19, 2009

This is a great idea!!!!!!

26. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 19, 2009

I like the way you make it a whole class reward! I do marbles in my class. I am definitely going to do this!! Thanks for sharing!

27. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2009

I've been away (from AtoZ) for a while, so please excuse my ignorance. What is behavior bingo???

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 19, 2009

I only have a few students so I worry that if I did this, I would have to put that person in the "already used" pile to give everybody an equal chance at getting the prize. If I do that, then once they are drawn, what prevents them from acting up until it is time to start over?

29. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

Behavior Bingo

I use this as a class reward system. The bingo square is a large hundreds chart. The class works together to earn bingo squares (everyone brings in thier homework, compliment from adult, coming in quietly and getting to work without being asked, etc.). When they earn a square, I draw a bingo marker (small circles with 1-100 written on them) from a jar and put the marker on the corresponding square on the chart. When the class has earned 10 in a row, they win a prize.

Hope it makes sense. :)

30. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 19, 2009

ooh I like that behavior bingo!!

31. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 19, 2009

as far as through the hallway, I have a little chant that we do before we go, and I say

"All set?" they respond with "YOU bet!" and them slap their hands on their sides, then I say "OK?" and they respond "We are on our way!" and they smush their lips together and nod their heads once. They like it. The first grade teacher who used to be across the hallway from me used to roll her eyes at me though~!

32. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 20, 2009

Snickydog- Love that idea!

33. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

We create an anchor chart at the very beginning of the year for what we will look like and sound like when we are in the hall. We talk about why it is important to stay together, walk, and be quiet in the hall etc. We review this chart everyday. I have kids model model model for each other A LOT! We also sing this little song everytime we line up...

My hands are by my sides
    And my lips are locked tight!

34. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2009

The best thing (well one of them) that my school has done to avoid kids plowwing down the hallway etc. was to paint stop signs in key spots in the halls. The stop signs are on the walls and there is a red line drawn wherever we need to stop and wait. The kids learn these in K and everyone knows where to stop very easily.

35. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 20, 2009

trayums,
    That's a really good idea!! It puts the whole school on the same page!

36. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 20, 2009

We have stop signs at my school, too. It really helps.

37. coffee crazy

coffee crazy Rookie

Jul 20, 2009

I used this too!!

I use "all set, you bet" and they loved it also!!! small world:)

38. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

mom2ohc and coffee~that is too cute. I think that I am going to have to still this one.

39. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 21, 2009

:) thanks