Lincoln: Possible Period Piece

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tootgravytrain, Aug 14, 2012.

1. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

As a former Civil War reenactor who worked in the movie "Gettysburg," I remember many teachers who used - and still use - that movie (or parts of it) to help bring history alive in the classroom (I missed working in "Andersonville" two years later and still think that's the BEST period piece movie ever).

Anyway, Speilberg's "Lincoln" is set to come out in November and I can hardly wait! Daniel Day Lewis knows how to do a role like no other.

Do any of you use good period piece movies in the classroom? I think this might be a good one.

http://www.reelz.com/movie/286592/lincoln/

3. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 14, 2012

What, no one shows movies anymore?

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

I used to show movies. Then we got new admins. that had a hissy fit about it, generally because of the rating....I have shown The Patriot, Glory, Bits and pieces of Band of Brothers. I am looking forward to Lincoln too. I have not heard much about it. They have been keeping a pretty good lid on it.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 14, 2012

I have shown movies, but not history related. technically I was able to show any topic, because it was in an English class, so I was able to use for elements of a plot, character interaction and a lot of other stuff.
    We couldn't show PG13 movies unless got the approval, and it was such a hassle that I just really tried to look for unrated, or PG movies.
    My favorite ones were Radio and The Miracle Worker (both PG).

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

One of my former co-workers was in Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, too.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 15, 2012

Glory was a good, historically accurate film. I wrote a 10 page paper on its historical accuracy in May for a final in one of my history courses. That was a fun paper to write (essentially I compared the letters of Col. Shaw to the movie)

8. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

I was going to work "G and G" but glad I didn't. It sucked. Director Ron Maxwell really messed that one up with the script. I mean it's got great visuals and the talent was there. But we reenactors and other historians cringe at that cheesy script.

"Andersonville" 1996 is worth looking into. I still kick myself for missing that one, but many of my buddies went. It's the best in my book.

I'm not an advocate for showing movies simply for the sake of showing movies. If used right, they can be a great tool.

9. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

Now THAT flick shows the power of what film can do. That came about about the same time Ken Burns' "Civil War" documentary came out. Neither were perfect, but they are so good they set the bar no one has come close to matching yet.

More importantly, they helped get thousands of people to get into reenacting and millions to learn more about that time period. I was very lucky to be involved in that at that time, because Civil War history - as well as interest in history in general - has reached a point of no return it seems, for whatever reason.

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

"Gettysburg" was a great movie and one of my favorites. How fortunate you were to have participated in the reenactment of if this important event in our country's history. That must have been an incredible adventure to be in the presence of so many people that realize how momentous that three day battle was in determining the future of our country.

I find that our school system does a poor job of teaching this part of American history. The students admit that they are not interested in the Civil War. I blame this on how the Civil War is presented in school.

Do you find the adults you teach have any understanding or interest in the Civil War?

11. tootgravytrain

tootgravytrain Comrade

Aug 15, 2012

Yea, it was kind of cool seeing THAT side of "Hollywierd," but that was enough. All the actors were really nice guys.

Very little adult interest at my school.

I think you are right - the government has a hand in bastardizing and eliminating out history through their frekin' state standards (but they WILL know who Helen Gurley Brown was)!