Limited Recesses in Elementary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by twarren, Sep 7, 2008.

1. twarren

twarren New Member

Sep 7, 2008

I know that recesses are becoming limited in schools now and was just wondering how teachers were handling this as far as children having an excess of energy in the classroom. Does anyone have any good techniques to deal with this kind of issue?

3. Olivesmom

Olivesmom Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

We have a 20 minute recess built into the schedule, but we also do an extra 15 minute recess in the afternoon. I am not quite sure if it is working yet because the kids are nuts in the afternoon regardless of the recess...but they do need to burn off energy so try building in extra recess if you can.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 7, 2008

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that schools don't think recess is necessary in school. Our students must have recess because there is a mandated amount of time that must be given for physical exercise. Gym and recess are counted to make up this mandated time. With all of the talk about overweight and inactive students recess should be mandated in every school. Perhaps you can do some type of exercise routine with the kids standing next to their desks. Or find some dances that incorporate movement.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

We get a 25 minute recess each afternoon, just about the time that the kiddos start getting sleepy, so it works well. As far as extra energy goes, sometimes we play the dance until the music stops games (after talking about not jumping, running, or touching anyone else), or we do "exercises" together- stretches, jumping jacks, etc. Of course, it is easy to do with kindergarten!

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

I am in a school where the kids get a morning recess of 15 minutes, recess after lunch for 20 minutes and an afternoon recess for 15 minutes. I *love* that. The kids get fresh air, run around and play and act like kids. We're in a rural setting and kids are encouraged to built forts (on the ground) and play whatever games they wish as long as they are being safe.

I think it would be really hard to be somewhere where kids aren't able to have recess!

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Sep 7, 2008

Wow, our recess is only 15 minutes. With so much stuff we have to cramp in for our kids, that is as much time as we can give them. Between specials & switching classes we loose alot of time. It's only two weeks in & we are already behind. We have to also deal with assembly time & mandatory school trips which by the way, we have one tomorrow. I'm glad it's early so that we can get it out of the way. Sad to say, but we are pressure on keeping in track with the mandated curriculum but yet we get hit with all these other variables which also include special ed, GT, computer & science lab, literacy specials & so forth.

Any way, apologize for being long winded but it's just to give you an illustration on how tight our schedules are for our kids.

8. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

We have 25 minutes in the evenings and the kids are better they don't talk so much when they come into 7th period.
    It is nuts to not have recess. Kids need to burn excess energy and need this to burn calories. I agree Mississippi is one of the highest states in obesity. We are one of the highest in the county also. Its sad :(

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 7, 2008

I kind of wish that one of my recesses was taken away. Right now they get 45 minutes of recess each day plus daily PE. It just seems that we have less learning time.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 7, 2008

I can do as much recess as I want with my students providing it is what they need. So far, they had a 1/2 hour morning, 1/2 hour lunch and a 1/2 hour in the afternoon!!! Now that specials are starting (we didn't have them the first week) they will not have the afternoon recess, except maybe 15 minutes as needed. I will take advantage of the sunny weather and give them MORE recess. It helps them build up their friendships early in the year. In the winter they will end up spending a lot of time inside, so I let them have more in the fall and spring.

We do lots of running laps! I send them on a lap around the building between lessons! This also gives me about 2 minutes to get some things together for the next lesson.

So far, I am really happy with the younger children in that I DON'T feel like recess is taking away from their learning. A lesson with these kids is about 5 minutes and work time is about 15. We do a sharing time (after reading or writing) and that's another 5 minutes. Until they build up their stamina, I am really going to like the extra recess. Not only that, but after they finish their work, they have choices in the classroom!

It makes me wonder WHAT ON EARTH do you all do in a 90 minute lit block w/ six year olds? You must do 7 different things!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2008

Yes, we do 7 different things. Well maybe not quite 7 but we don't stick to one thing. We only have 1 recess. 3 seems like a lot. They are blessed though!

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 7, 2008

Currently for 2nd grade, we do a direct instruction (reading and writing), guided practice, independent practice, story time, guided reading, reading recovery and word study. Sometimes other stuff makes it in there like cooking, letter writing, writing books, etc.

13. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

We have 15 min of recess in the morning and 15 minutes after lunch (if they get through the line). I break up the morning with a stretch between math and LA, and a quick run after the stretch. This year, I am hoping to fit in another run before UA (1/2 way between morning recess and lunch).

14. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

Sep 8, 2008

I think kids function better in class if they can "burn off" some of that energy. I know I can focus better if I get some exercise during the day.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 8, 2008

I wish our recess was in the afternoon. Typically they do okay in the morning but by afternoon they have the wiggles.

16. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Sep 8, 2008

We don't get to have a recess. The powers that be state we must use ALL our time in instruction. Don't waste a minute! So we spend our time doing classroom management instead of teaching.:confused:

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

You have to get creative with your lessons. What about jumping jacks spelling words, my kids love the train around the room. If they answer a question correctly they can get on the train. I use this method as a review. We do have a 10 min break in the morning and a 15 minute recess in the afternoon and we can tell the difference when they have been stuck inside because of inclement weather. I need a break by recess time.

18. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I work at a special education school and we do not have recess! I miss it! I do try during the day to give a little free time. (But not on the schedule.)

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 8, 2008

Wow! You all are lucky. We get ONE ten-minute recess. That's it! Sometimes we stretch it to 15 minutes, but not often.

20. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

We have 20 minutes and I think we need a little more. It is sad to see free play time go away. :(

21. TAZmo

TAZmo Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

We have two recess periods. The first one everyone has to participate in because of our state mandate. The wellness program put into place by our state means everyone has to have so many minutes of recess. The second one we put into place in the afternoons.

22. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 9, 2008

i teach third grade and we get one 20 minute recess per day.

23. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 9, 2008

We only have 1 recess and it is at 3:00. The kids go home at 3:45. Ugh.

My class does a lot of extra things or we'd go nuts and burn out.