limited number of copies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clynns, Aug 14, 2007.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Aug 14, 2007

maybe this is due to my little experience with teaching but i had found and pulled a lot of worksheet type stuff to use this year (my first year). I found out today that we have a limited number of copies unless we use the rizzo machine. there is a lot of good stuff that i've pulled and would like to use. anyone have any advice on how to still use the good work from my worksheets without running my number down too fast? thanks!

3. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

If at all possible limit your use worksheets. Try to do activities where the kids are more involved; projects, reports, foldables, graphic organizers, etc. Activities keep the kids more involved in the learning, whereas worksheets are more passive and don't require as much critical thinking from the students.

I personally don't like worksheets and avoid them when I can. :D
    Although once in a while they are necessary.

Good luck!

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2007

What grade do you teach? I agree with TXTCHR29, I don't like to use a lot of worksheets, but sometimes it is necessary. Maybe you can find similar activities in books (if the kids are old enough) and have them answer questions on plain paper?

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 14, 2007

i've been through that, its rough but you can also look at it as an opportunity to be more creative.
    Here's what i did when i did want to use a worksheet for an activity:

a) copy the worksheet onto a transparency and use the overhead to show it to students and have them do it on their own papers. (this is hard if you have students who work fast and others who are really slow)
    b) use the function on you machine that allows you to copy two sheets onto one side. The secretary usually can help you figure out how to do it. Do this once to make your master then reset the machine and run as a regular copy or it will run your numbers up as if you are doing 4 copies per page. now you can put up to 4 ws's on one two sided sheet.
    c) make only class sets of sheets and reuse them next year.

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 14, 2007

Don't run off too much stuff ahead of time. I have made the mistake in the past of trying to be organized and getting things run off that I think I 'll use only to find out later that I will never have time to get to it all.

7. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Aug 14, 2007

Make only a couple copies and laminate them. The kids can re-use them with vis-a-vis markers...and you will have them for next year.

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 14, 2007

I agree with the other posters about limiting worksheet use. The only time I really have to use them (with science labs) I run off one for a group of students and have them fill it out together or in their notebooks. It cuts down the # of worksheets drastically.

9. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 14, 2007

I always double side my worksheets. This year we had a shortage of paper and used really old copy paper that was in storage turing yellow.

In fact, with Guided Reading and DRA, you need to run off a bunch of worksheets even though I do not like them. Oh well...

10. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Clynns, I'm curious about the "rizzo machine" you mentioned. What is that?

11. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I do the same thing!
    At my school our math, reading, and spelling programs require TONS of writing. They tried to limit our copies, but we brought our principle in to see our programs and they took of the limit! We had a new principle that she didn't know ANYTHING about our programs. A few teachers did get spoken to because they make copies for every subject.

12. mcangel

mcangel Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

All of these ideas are great, and I use them all. I, too, limit the use of worksheets. Whenever possible, I laminate, shrink and double side things, but sometimes I need a quicker fix. I will put the worksheet inside of a clear sleeve protector and give the kids vis-a-vis to use. I've noticed that blue, green, purple, and black vis-a-vis work well (red isn't good).

13. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Worksheets? What's that? :) JK...But I try to limit the use of worksheets in my classroom. Anything that I can get hands on, I do. We get 1000 copies a month and I always have left overs...