Limited number field trip question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Sep 30, 2015.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2015

I can take 32 students to a field trip, I have 120 students total. I can not take one class a day for four days. I cannot somehow rotate the classes so that all classes come one day and we rotate throughout (because the field trip is a half day).

Any other suggestions? Or suggestions on how to pick the 32 kids? I've thought about giving all kids permission slip forms and the first 32 to give it back get to go. Or give it to the top 32 kids. Or give it to the top 10 kids in each class and whoever brings it back first can go. Or I don't know. Thoughts?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2015

I would take the first 32 kids who turn in their slips.

4. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Sep 30, 2015

First come, first serve seems like the way to go. The students that want to go the most will make sure to get their slips in as quickly as possible.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 30, 2015

I wouldn't go if all students couldn't be included.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 30, 2015

First come, first serve sucks when you see your kids in blocks, though. What if 32 kids in your first few blocks turn theirs in and the kids in your later blocks get screwed because they weren't able to bring it by before their first class?

I would take the 32 highest averages.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2015

All my students have one of the four core classes first. We're all on the same hallway, maybe 25 yards apart, so I'm sure they could drop by my class in the morning to turn in a permission slip.

I really want to take at least some kids. The lab seems really super cool and I think they'd love it. I wish I could figure out a way to take all kids but every day I go I have to get a sub and I simply don't have enough sick days to have four sub days in a row. Not to mention coming up with four days of meaningful sub work... I could probably swing taking two classes by either making it a full day thing and getting some chaperones or by taking one class at a time two days in a row. The field trip is free so I guess I could charge kids a few bucks each to pay for my sub...

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2015

I would have the kids do something to prove they really want to go. Maybe write a little essay on why they want to go and then pick the most compelling 32.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 30, 2015

Why do you have to take a sick day if you are taking students on a field trip?

10. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 30, 2015

I would not go on this field trip because it seems that whatever well-intentioned strategy you apply that it is unfair to take some kids and not others. If you don't have admin support to take all students then you shouldn't do it.

11. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 1, 2015

Could the trip be scheduled for a pre-planned school holiday? That way every student who'd like to go could go.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2015

Because I'll need a sub to stay back with the kids that can't go, and I'd have to "pay" for the sub.

It still wouldn't work out. There are two sessions a day for this activity and only 32 kids can participate at a time.

13. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 1, 2015

I still don't understand why you'd be responsible for paying the sub. That is absolutely absurd. Do you have paid professional/field trip days? There is no way I would ever take a field trip with students if I had to pay for a sub for the ones staying behind. I have 100 students and it's just not possible to take all of them at the same time on a field trip.

I took 13 kids last year to France and the school paid for a sub for my classes for 5 days. I couldn't fathom paying for them myself. The trip would not have happened.

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2015

I'd definitely suggest against this, in my opinion - some students simply have a lower understanding to no fault of their own...even if they put in a greater effort than those with higher "averages".

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 1, 2015

We have trip guidelines: no office referrals, no bus referrals, no missing assignments, no unexcused absences, no F's.

Maybe have a drawing. All interested students put their names in a box, and there are 32 names drawn.