Likeliness of getting an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by reddies88, May 14, 2012.

1. reddies88

reddies88 Rookie

May 14, 2012

Hello all! I need some advice.. I graduated 2 years ago with a Bachelors of Science in Bio & Chem and have been working lab jobs for 2 years. I realized that teaching is what I want to do. I am enrolled in an Alt Cert program in Texas and have completed all pre-service requirements. I passed my Texes test for Composite Science 8-12. I have no formal teaching experience, just tutored for 4 years in college. There are so many composite science positions open right now, and I've applied to all but have not received any calls yet. Do school districts typically interview even with no teaching experience? I just want y'alls opinion on the likeliness for me receiving an Interview call or advice on how to make my application more appealing? Thanks!!

PS. I have a full time job now, and so I can't substitute or aide, as I need a way to pay the bills :)

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 14, 2012

Yes, school districts will interview teachers with no experience. Otherwise there'd never be any first year teachers ;).

What have you done in addition to just sending in an application/resume? If the answer is nothing, the likelihood of getting an interview is very small, to be honest with you. You should email or call principals. Drop in to personally hand in your credentials at all schools within driving distance. When I was applying, I sent a brochure about myself as an educator in with all my application packets.

Good luck, I know how difficult the job search can be, especially that first year before any "real" experience. Don't worry about no phone calls yet, either. I've never been hired before mid-July.

4. reddies88

reddies88 Rookie

May 14, 2012

Yeah, I haven't emailed any principals, I didn't realize this was "allowed" per se. Do I essentially email them a cover letter? Like what puts me apart from other applicants? or explain my no experience? Thanks for the input!

5. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 14, 2012

Some Ps like it and some don't, but you're not going to be out anything. I used to just call the "check" to make sure they got my information and introduce myself a little further.

6. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

May 14, 2012

Also, I wouldn't explain the no experience, I don't know that I'd bring that up unless they do. Maybe do explain, though, how the experience you do have will benefit you.

7. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 14, 2012

I would also agree to email principals...what ya got to lose. Science jobs also receive less applications than other types of general ed job (like English, social studies, elementary k-5, etc). Pull out all the stops on this economy.

If you can, keep your geographic location WIDE open. I have seen some friends not willing to relocate and they stay stuck in substitute teacher land.

8. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 14, 2012

Definitely contact the principals. It doesn't hurt! Get your name out there. Schools DO hire new teachers with no experience!

9. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

May 14, 2012

I only have student teaching and subbing experience, and I already have an interview lined up for tomorrow. Don't worry about the lack of experience! :) Instead focus on emailing principals and getting your information to as many people as you can.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2012

If you're qualified to teach high school Chemistry, make that the prime focus of your job search. Make sure you have a killer cover letter, of course, and that both your resume and cover letter are impeccible.

But that Chem certification could be the gold ring.

11. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 14, 2012

I am in a similar program in Arkansas and I have had two interviews. My experience is military and community volunteer work. I had emailed both school principals and told them a little bit about myself and why I thought I would be a good candidate for employment. I heard back from both within 12 hours. Some schools I never did this and I never heard back. I think sending a short email about yourself and then attaching your resume and educational philosophy is your best bet. It is a little more personal then just sending a resume. Of course everyone has a different approach. I have been told to go to the school and try to talk to the principal by some, while others have suggested this is not a good idea. The best bet is to find a specific approach and stick with it if it works and change it if it doesn't.

12. mommafran

mommafran Companion

May 14, 2012

Same here experience wise and I ALREADY have a job for next year. There is always hope. Keep sending out those applications.

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

May 14, 2012

I went through Alternative in Texas and was able to get a job as an Elementary Teacher, so anything is possible :) Just make sure you are open to work in all places and keep sending out resumes and emails!!
    Good Luck!!

14. reddies88

reddies88 Rookie

May 15, 2012

Thanks guys! I emailed 4 principals yesterday..keeping my fingers crossed I hear from at least one!

15. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 15, 2012

Good luck reddies88. I think you have a great chance of finding employment since you are qualified to teach chemistry, which to my understanding is a critical shortage area nation wide. Again best of luck!

16. Evansr

Evansr New Member

May 23, 2012

Reddies88 how was the composite science 8-12 test? I take it on tuesday and I'm a little nervous. I have my chemistry degree with a minor in biology. I took the texes practice online test and did pretty well. Any insight would be appreciated. Good luck with the job search I'm out there with you.

17. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 23, 2012

Are you also applying to private schools? They like teachers who have a degree in the subject and many don't mind teachers who don't have certification or experience teaching.

18. slippers

slippers Rookie

May 24, 2012

I am also certified to teach chemistry and taught it this last year at a very difficult school. While I learned alot and consider it a very good experience - I just loved the students - it was a hard environment overall.

As I look around for another position I am trying to be selective but at the same time want to also just find a decent job where I can settle and grow. I also just completed an ALP and did very well with it.

People keep saying that chemistry is in short supply but the thing is that a really good position will not come up very often because most chem teachers will stay for the duration of their career - 20 years or so! If a chem position comes up there is a retirement or something like that, or it is not a good school environment. Just my thoughts. Yes, focus on that as it can be such a cool thing to teach and you can really touch students' lives with the rigor of the subject - they can learn so much from your class! like anything, use your best judgement and trust your instincts.

19. reddies88

reddies88 Rookie

May 24, 2012

It was much easier than the practice test provided by ETS. Make sure you can go through those and know why each answer is correct and incorrect. And know the dang solar system, like classifications of stars and such. I didn't know this and I'm sure I missed all of them. Don't memorize any formulas, you won't need them. Just know overall concepts and you will be fine! Good luck!

20. reddies88

reddies88 Rookie

May 24, 2012

I haven't been, but that is a good idea! Just curious, I know private schools pay less than public, but how much less?

21. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 24, 2012

I think it depends on the area and school so I can't give a general answer. Very competitive schools will probably pay pretty well.