likelihood of getting job after demo...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Jun 14, 2008.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jun 14, 2008

i had an interview two fridays ago at 7am. the principal called me at 1pm, same day, and asked me to come for a demo lesson. last week, i did my demo. i think i did pretty dang good, but i got no feedback whatsoever. the most the principal said was "we are going to have professional writers" (i did a writing lesson) and laughed when i commented on a child's good writing. those who watched shook my hand, thanked me, and said they'd keep in touch. i do know that they had a demo before mine, as well. i called yesterday and the secretary said they have not decided yet.

so...what do you think? what is the typical likelihood of someone getting a job if they've done a demo lesson? i REALLY want this job! i wish there was something else i could do.

and i have a demo in school i work in now, but it's for a four month maternity leave position. :unsure: i don't really want that (yes, i know, take what i can get, but obviously my goal is for a perm. job).

overall i've lost count of how many interviews i've had. i had one friday for another maternity leave in the town i work in. it's been a crazy job hunt this year so far.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2008

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! I've never had to do a demo lesson, so I don't know what advice to give you.

4. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

I demo lessoned 3 times. The first time they had 4 people demoing for you job. The second time they had 3 people going to one job. The last time was 2 people.

If they want to see you demo, it usually seems like you have a shot.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2008

It sounds like you did a bang up job with your demo lesson. I don't really know what kind of odds there are as far as getting and not getting jobs when demos are done. I was on the interview committee for my school last year and had about 5 demo lessons in my classroom. It was so interesting seeing the different styles etc. GOOD LUCK TO YOU! Like I said sounds like you did a great job!!!!

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Jul 14, 2008

I am doing a demo on Wednesday...honestly, I got a look at the sheet that had all the demo appointments on it and it seemed like EVERYONE who interviewed was called for a demo. I never expected that, and it has me very angry, because if there is no narrowing of the candidates, I really do not need to be taking 2 days off of work to go to jump through these hoops. Hopefully, though, this is not the norm!

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 15, 2008

I think the fact that they let you do a demo lesson is a good sign that you're one of their top choices. They wouldn't waste their time and bring a random stranger into a classroom of theirs if they weren't interested. Depending on how many other people interviewed for it and demoed a lesson, will help decide if things are in your favor or someone else's.

I did a demo lesson for my job--- I think I almost didn't even get the job because when I was hired it was for a different grade (they ended up hiring two ladies to replace one of the leaving teachers and I'm replacing another science teacher who retired). So I figured I was one of their top choices, but not the top choice. I'm still happy with my position though and I'm at a wonderful school with great teachers and students.

So you do have a very good chance--- just give it time and keep yourself busy with other stuff. I know how it feels though, I couldn't do anything for the first few days after my lesson... I had to wait 2-3 weeks though because it was during their Spring Break time.

Let us know if you get the position :)

8. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 15, 2008

i didn't get the position. i found out a few weeks ago. it annoys me because they don't give any feedback whatsoever on how i did. i emailed the principal to ask for feedback and i got no response. blah.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2008

I'm sorry hufflepuff...NJ is a tough job market. Keep your chin up! :)

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 15, 2008

Sorry to hear about that and in all likely hood they won't contact you about any feedback, which is very annoying. :(