Like dittos and record players, when do you think overheads and such will disappear?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Feb 24, 2011.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2011

1983...my first job out of college was for an actuarial firm:dizzy:All the input was programmer onto punchcards, fed into HUGE computers and then we'd have to check the figures on those connected, perforated kinds of printouts...yeah, technology changes A LOT in 20 some years!

2. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 25, 2011

I don't use my document camera as often as I think I should. It's a nice read aloud complement but it is an awkward set up having to get up and go flip the page to turn it and I find it not easy to get the picture moved correctly. I do love it though for showing students' work so they can write on the smartboard as we edit them and compliment each others' work.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2011

Everyone's worst fear was slipping on an icy path between computer buildings and DROPPING THE CARDS!!!!

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 25, 2011

They're basically gone in our school. Everyone has mounted projectors and document cameras in their room. If I had the space I would have an overhead for the kids to practice skills with. I have a few overhead games that are going to waste. I need to see how I can revamp them.

I wish I had a SMARTboard in my room. We have one across the hallway in the Science Lab, which I use every morning. I would use it more, but there are other teachers who want to use it too.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2011

I hear about people on here using them, but I don't think anyone in this building has them, and in my last one maybe 4-5 people had them and I never saw them using them for a lesson. Kind of weird.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2011

Were they not trained on them? I find that working with our technology lab teacher and sharing ideas with other professional educators in my district (and online!) helps expand my ideas of how to use technology to enhance instruction...

7. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 25, 2011

In my local school district, every classroom still has chalkboards and overheads, except for a few, which have whiteboards. There are like three smartboards for the entire district.

In my college, some classrooms have whiteboards, it depends on when the building was built.

In the older buildings (i.e. where the education classes are), every classroom has chalkboards and people use overheads.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2011

I used my overhead this afternoon. I have one of 4 smartboards at my school, but have some resources that are already made for the overhead. So, I use both.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2011

All I have is an overhead. It's quite trusty, despite being older than Methuselah. I use him every day; fervently hope he forgives me for dropping the top when changing the light bulb, thus smashing the glass; and PRAY he will last til the end of the year. I need him, every day; I have very little board space.

Next year, we're getting tricked out with all the latest and greatest technology. (whispers so my overhead can't hear me) I can't WAIT to have a document camera again!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2011

That made me laugh out loud!!