Like dittos and record players, when do you think overheads and such will disappear?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 24, 2011

Xerox machines replaced dittos, CD's and tapes replaced record players, whiteboards replaced chalkboards, and in many classrooms, SmartBoards replaced whiteboards.

When do you think we'll see the day when there are ipad-esque textbooks, and document cameras instead of overheads? What other technologies are on the forefront that I might someday see in classrooms?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

Overheads have already basically disappeared in my district. With document cameras...why do you even need one?

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 24, 2011

Same here Mopar. I would love to have a document camera in my class. I wonder if I could get KC to help me set up a donor's choose page to get a DC.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

Oh, I bet you could!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 24, 2011

I've haven't seen one, save one workshop, in 15 years.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

Overheads are pretty much gone in my district as well thanks to doc cameras. Some districts are investing in Kindle or Ipad kinds of resources for textbooks...it's happening now.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 24, 2011

I think it will be 20 years before the transition is complete. The technology will need to be less expensive than the textbooks currently in use.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2011

Very few teachers use overheads in my school, but if the budget cuts get any worse, I'll need one when the $400 bulb in my LCD projector burns out and there's no money for a replacement! I keep a box of transparencies and some vis-a-vis pens just in case...

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

I don't even think we have overheads in my school!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

20 years is a looooong time when it comes to technology.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

When my projector had to be replaced, one of the teachers who teaches in my homeroom dug up an overhead until we got the new projector.

I think the economic downturn will slow things down a bit-- I woudln't say 20 years in most schools, but a bit.

But once the economy improves, I think the changes will be fast and furious.

13. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 24, 2011

We still have chalkboards in my district in come classrooms. I just got a whiteboard this year. We don't have SMARTboards in every classroom yet. I got mine this summer. It was great until it my computer died and it decided not to work one day. I have tons of tests, powerpoints, etc and wasn't able to use any of them without it. How can you teach insect ID without an insect collection and without a working projector/SMARTboard?

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

I LOVE my chalkboard!!!! I will cry if they ever take it away!!!

The marker fumes make me crazy with a whiteboard.

Give me my document camera (for graphing, putting up a test answer key, and for the times when I have to show my kids how to use a calculator), an internet connection (so I can show them the first 10,000 digits of pi and the clip on Pythagorean Theorem from the Wizard of Oz) and my chalkboard, and I'm good to go!

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 24, 2011

I've been teaching for 8 years and never used an overhead projector. When I taught at KU before that I had an Elmo, so, I guess I never taught with an overhead projector. I've always had a digital projector.

As for future technologies? I think we will harness cell phone technologies and the cell phone will one day be acceptable in a student's hand.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 24, 2011

Love to! :D

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 24, 2011

18. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Feb 24, 2011

Agreed! I still use a chalkboard at my university. Prior to teaching at the school, I had always used whiteboards, but I got terrible headaches from the marker fumes. Even though the chalk dries my hands out in the winter, it's not nearly as irritating as marker fumes!

And I still use an overhead projector. They are in every classroom in most of the humanities buildings. The business school building has much better equipment (projectors hooked up to computers), but our building is not so luxurious. I like the overhead projector well enough. My only problem is many students can't see what I have written on the transparency.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 24, 2011

I have a local district that donates supplies to Sprout, and they keep trying to give me their overhead projectors as they've replaced them with digital projectors. I have about 10 in the garage, but I'm not taking any more. It's sad to see them thrown away-they certainly are handy if you can't have digital. And in the past four schools I've taught at, I've only had a smartboard in one and the school took three months to hook it up and I only used it for a month before the bulb burned out and I had nothing. So... I'm all for overhead projectors. ;)

I would LOVE to see iPads in the classroom. I was looking for free books for my Kindle and there were several that sounded like college textbooks. I would have loved to have ebooks in college.

20. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 24, 2011

I had to use an overhead when I taught in 2009. It wasn't a good one either so it was a pain.

I don't need to be overloaded on technology. What I would love is a Smartboard and white board with lots of room to write. There is no room to write on boards anymore.

If not smartboard I'd be happy with an LCD projector (if they are not outdated yet). I've never used a document camera or elmo or other stuff some teachers here mention. I'v been out of the loop for awhile. I like a good mix of technology plus old-fashioned resources like white boards.

21. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 24, 2011

There's one sitting in my closet, unused. This used to be a K room until this year, and all the K-6 teachers got document cameras and projectors and fancy stuff. I was told I had to keep it in my closet anyway.

I wish I could get rid of it... i don't use it in PreK and could really use the closet space :)

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 24, 2011

I used to use an overhead projector as sun to model seasons...

23. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Feb 24, 2011

You all are so lucky. I am sitting with one computer in my classroom. There is not one smartboard in my entire school. We have 6 laptops/projectors that we can check out from the library. I use my overhead projector fairly often. I wish I had a document camera, elmo, smartboard, and all the other gadgets, but we just don't have it!

Maybe one day...

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 24, 2011

Ah, first year. I don't even have a computer in my room! Consider yourself lucky!!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

A COMPUTER????

I didn't have a CALCULATOR until I had been teaching 2 years. (Um, yeah, through all those calculus classes. And all those grades for 2 years.)

Nope, not one of those "I walked through snow up to my head when I was a kid" stories...absolute truth.

OK, now I realize that Jem was speaking TO "first year" not talking ABOUT hers.

26. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2011

I kept an overhead when I got my doc cam. I think I have the only one in the whole building.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 24, 2011

We have a whole room full of unused overhead projectors. All of our classrooms have SmartBoards. My bulb is flickering. I'm getting nervous. It's my second bulb in the 5 years I've had my SmartClassroom.

When the guy came to replace the bulb, he told me that I was using it too much. Really? I thought they WANTED us to use it! I'm using mine every single day all day long. I had kids in the room when he was changing the bulb, and the kids heard him say it. They already didn't like him because he's grumpy, and he always said something snippy when he came into the room for something. When he said that about the bulb, one of my kids said, "I'll be if we never turned it on, it would last forever!"

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2011

I think I would have bought a calculator! :)

My overhead has been in storage for a few years.

We are very slowly attempting to transition to a paperless system, though it will be a long time before it's final. And then again, nothing is final in technology and education. Other area schools are much more advanced.

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2011

I haven't used an overhead projector in 4 years.

I honestly never see anyone using document cameras either.

30. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 24, 2011

We don't have overheads at my school. We have document cameras, but we hardly use those either. Each student has a laptop, so we just send everything we want directly to them! I'm sure the elementary teachers still use the document cameras, though.

31. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 24, 2011

At my current school I have a Mimio and an overhead. I had a doc cam hooked up to a laptop and an LCD projector. I'd love to have it all of course (better yet, a SmartBoard) but I'm okay with what I have. I hate that I have to waste copies on transparencies (I go through a lot) but at least I can do interactive stuff I couldn't do before.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

No one had them. It was 1980. Besides, I'm good with numbers.

My college computer classes had us programming on punch cards.

33. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2011

Yes, you're great with numbers, but I would have thought a calculator would simply save time averaging grades and such. But anyhow, no calculators in 1980? There were calculators in 1980, you just mean they were not commonplace, yes?

Now, punch cards...you've totally lost me. :p

34. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 24, 2011

I use my overhead projector on a daily basis. In a perfect world, though, I'd have a Smart Board!!! Some teachers have gone out and bought them on their own, but I've yet to do that! I'm still waiting to win the lotto! :D

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2011

Why did you delete you post, Alice? I'm certainly not "debating" calculators with you... :)

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2011

I teach religious ed in the local Catholic Elementary school on Tuesdays. The room has a Smartboard, and it kills me. I don't have permission or training to use it, so I have no board space. And you guys know me-- I LOVE the board.

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2011

Do you think they would grant you permission and maybe a little training?

38. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 24, 2011

Our school has a Smartboard in every room, and the only people who use it regularly are the math teachers. The rest of it really don't have a need for it because our classes are tiny and, like I said, they each have their own computers anyway. I wish there was a way to gift my supplies to others.

39. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 24, 2011

Our upstairs copy room doubles as the graveyard for overhead projectors :) There must be 25 sitting all along the top of the cabinets touching the ceiling.

40. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 24, 2011

Well, yesterday I had an overhead and my laptop (which I just got this year).

Today, I got a Livescribe Smartpen (fantastic piece of technology-from DONORSCHOOSE!), and a document camera. It was like CHRISTMAS for TEACHERS!

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 25, 2011

Jem, weren't you working on outfitting the tech lab in your school? Did that ever pan out?
    Wow. I use mine about every other day.:love: