Like a ton of bricks

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by monsieurteacher, Aug 28, 2009.

1. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Aug 28, 2009

It hit me like a ton of bricks last night that the teachers in our district go back on Monday. This is their last day of vacation...

I've felt rather confident that I would get something... I've been teaching for nearly 2 years, and I was just at the bottom of the totem pole at both schools I worked at this past year... In my two years, I've made some strong relationships with my principals, and I know that they would give me good references. Everyone I taught with told me "you'll get something"... I have had more professional development than the average second year teacher. All of my reviews have been excellent. Yes, I felt like my resume was strong and that I would be getting a call to teach something... anything.

Nothing. I'm still awaiting that call. It REALLY got to me last night as I lay in bed. I realized that today is the last day of vacation. Once Monday rolls around, I'm unemployed. I continue to read on Facebook teachers complaining about having to go back. It hurts. I know that it's just part of the beginning of the year, that teachers often miss the idea of being on vacation, not that these teachers really don't like their job, but it still bothers me. I would be more than happy to take that job!

My last hope is a grade four position... it's the only English job that has been posted (there was a French teaching position and a few middle school music teaching positions, none of which I'm qualified to teach) and it doesn't close until Monday... which means that I wouldn't be in to my new classroom until partway through the first week for teachers.

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 28, 2009

I am right there with you in your comments. School started here this week...and I HAVE (like you mentioned) changed my prespective of myself from job hunter... to unemployed.

I hear you and understand 100% when you talk about comments given by teachers...i UNDERSTAND that they are not hating their job...but it's just a longing for more vacation. Yet...it does smack the job-searcher differently. Unlike tthis summer where I would happily "wander" through the other areas of this forum - general/elementary/grade levels... now i either tiptoe as if through land mines that would injure my mind-set...or avoid them completely.

I wish you well with the possible 4th grade position. At the moment, I don't have any irons in the fire...and that is a REAL downer. Next week i will be taking in my subbing cards for the teacher's mailboxes...and that too will be a sign of defeat (yet also one of doing SOMETHING rather than sitting and whining).

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 28, 2009

dfleming, I'm with ya...although, I'm a new teacher. I've been searching since October last year because I graduated in December (I know not as long as some folks here). I just KNEW that I was going to be one of those rare few that had a job before graduating, even though it was midyear. I also just KNEW that with a change in location from FL to TN, I would land something...I had great interviews but nothing. School has been in session three weeks...almost four. The only thing that has been posted this week is a Science Lab Teacher position at an elem school I interviewed at last week. It is my only hope for this week.

Good luck on the 4th grade position!!! :) Hang in there!

5. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

I'm right there with you too, dfleming. I left my job "willingly" last May (Though, I wouldn't have stayed even if I wasn't moving after they way the jerked me around last year), and everyone kept telling me that I would be sure to find something - someone would at LEAST hire me as a sub.

Ha, ha. I had one interview for a K position in May. Not even a phone call since. Districts around here have posted for sub jobs, and I've applied - and yea...nothing. I'm going to keep trying, but it is so frustrating, especially when my new in-laws are essentially looking down on me for not having a job. I'm being pushed to apply to non-teaching jobs, which I was planning on doing if I couldn't get a teaching job, but I feel like I still need to wait a few weeks before giving up, and people are just not having that.

I have to work with a special needs child this fall in order to finish my Master's. Hopefully I can find a child to volunteer with on the weekends or in the evenings. Otherwise...well, I don't want to think about it.

Hang in there and know that you are not alone. And good luck with that 4th grade position!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 28, 2009

I'm there, too. It hit me the day the child I tutor, who used to be in my class, started telling me about the teacher who replaced me!
    :woot: An actual rage started building in me ...

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2009

L87bug: Did you get your teaching cert for Tennessee? If the job interview doesn't pan out for you, definitely get subbing-it's the best way to get your foot in the door in most cases. Also, don't rule out private schools, charters (I'm sure you've already done this but some of those schools hire late as teachers who may have had a job offer there get offers from public schools and leave before school starts...I was hired in mid-August when I came to NJ at a Catholic school due to this very reason!)

8. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

I could have written this post nearly word for word! I have 2 years of experience teaching 1st with a principal who adored me! I was also told I would have no problem finding a job - and here I am with nothing. Teachers here also go back on Monday. It sucks!

9. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 28, 2009

Yes, I applied for my TN license as soon as I thought my husband would be taking a job in TN. It doesn't cost any $$ to get one here so that was incentive to go ahead and apply and not wait until we heard official word. I've looked into charters but some of them are in not so nice areas of town. I'm not very comfortable with teaching religion so I have totally nixed the idea of teaching in private schools (all of the private schools here are religious based). Thanks for your advice. :) I've got a sub interview on 9/8 for county schools and an application in for city schools (just waiting to hear back from them). In the meantime some interims were posted so got my fingers crossed for one of those to pan out for me.

10. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Aug 29, 2009

Similar story here. I got into an ISD as a sub but my savings (and confidence) is dwindling very quickly.

11. monsieurteacher

Aug 30, 2009

Thanks for commiserating with me guys,

The teachers at my school from last year have a thread on Facebook where we all just chat... It's a hysterical group of people, and I was on a really great staff. Today all the chatter has been about the coming week... where they're going to eat, what meetings they will be attending, how they are going to fit all the elementary teachers in the district into one comparatively small lecture theatre... GAH! I suddenly feel so awkward being a part of it, but not wanting to say something because I don't want to seem like a downer...

The job opening I applied for closes tomorrow and I pray that I will hear something for that. Last time I talked to someone from District Office, there were still 30 teachers unrecalled... since then one of my friends got recalled, so at the most there will be 29 teachers applying... There is one other job opening as well, but it's a French position, and I'm kicking myself that I never took French in University to be able to teach that... I am excellent at communicating what I would teach and how I would teach if I were to get in an interview, but I always worry that it's absolutely impossible to properly convey my excitement and drive for teaching.

I have someone that I know from District Office putting in a good word for me tomorrow, and since the school's phone number was listed in the opening, I figure I can be allowed to give a follow-up call, ensure that he received my resume and tell him a little about what I would do with a grade four class... particularly in the first week.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 30, 2009

A good word always helps. I hope it works.

13. monsieurteacher

Sep 1, 2009

I still haven't heard anything... I'm pretty sure it's gone.

I've applied for EI. I hate this. My bank account just isn't ready for this.

14. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

:( I'm so sorry you haven't heard yet. It would be nice if all Ps would have the courtesy to let you know if you didn't get the job so that you don't have to sit around waiting and wondering.

15. monsieurteacher

Sep 1, 2009

It would be wonderful, but I also understand that even in this case with 30 applicants, it's just not possible to make that many phone calls AND get ready for a new school year.

I can't imagine some of the positions in the States where I hear of over 100 applicants!

16. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

If you are serious about wanting to learn and teach French it isn't too late...that is definately how I got my first permanent jo.

17. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 1, 2009

You are in a tough spot in Nouveau Brunswick with the move to Francais Aprofondi. It really makes it tough for upper elementary teachers to find positions if they don't speak French. I wish you all the best!

18. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 1, 2009

dfleming - I applied for a job in Med Hat last year with over 200 applicants and you had to have second language skills !?!? - I was one of 15 selected to contact references and 5 selected for interview. At the end of the day I was #2. So only 100 applicants? Not unheard of out west.

19. monsieurteacher

Sep 1, 2009

Thanks... I bit the bullet today... I ran into a friend at Indigo (big Canadian bookstore)... she works there, and recommended that I apply there. The manager has told her to pass on any names of people that would be mature and would work there... apart from teaching, this would be my DREAM JOB! She said that they're particularly looking for people who aren't afraid of the kids section... I could do that on evenings and weekends so I'm free to sub during the days...

20. monsieurteacher

Sep 1, 2009

See, I'm sure there could be over 100 applications if they opened it up here in New Brunswick, but at the moment, they won't open up any of these positions until all the contracted teachers from last year have been recalled... which is not going to happen by the beginning of this year.

I at least have my foot in the door... I feel really bad for the wonderful student teachers we had at the school last year who are now stuck.

21. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've been easily irritated lately because it's getting to me. I thought I'd be offered somethingas well..but then I get no calls all summer. On Facebook, I just hide all the status updates of teachers. lol. Better to pretend they aren't complaining about the job I wish I had! :p Hang in there...

22. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

My attitude was pretty good about it until today - when another struggling job seeker friend of mine found a job. I am happy that she got a job - she's been out of work due to a medical issue since March - but it also makes me jealous and throws me back into that "why am I not good enough?" funk. Boo.

23. monsieurteacher

Sep 10, 2009

Got a phone call from District Office today... there are 13 of us competing for jobs now. I'm in the bottom 13 of 104 apparently.

But enough about that, I've got a new attitude... I'm getting sub work every day, I am not going to complain.

Oh yeah, the call was about more postings! There will be more jobs posted tomorrow!

24. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2009

Your positive attitude will only do you good! :)

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 10, 2009

ALL the best!!!!!!!

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2009

Good luck!

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2009

Good luck!

28. monsieurteacher

Sep 13, 2009

Thanks all...

I'm subbing tomorrow afternoon, so in the morning I plan to travel to the other side of the district and drop off some cover letters/resumes at two schools about 40 minutes away. I always preferred primary to upper elementary, but I'm actually hoping for the grade five position. There are three openings I'm interested in... kindergarten, grade one and grade five. There is also a French Immersion, which I'm not qualified for, as well as a 7/8 Math which I could probably do, and would probably do if I didn't know I had a grade one class waiting for me in January if all else fails. The final position is an "elementary english position" which is one hour a day Monday-Friday... I'm sorry, I'm desperate, but I'm not THAT desperate! That would be taking an 80% paycut, AND I wouldn't even be able to sub during my off time! (Not to mention I think you need to have at least a .25 job to retain recall rights and benefits)

We'll see how it all goes. I'm booked up for most of this week anyway.

29. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2009

Good luck!

30. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 14, 2009

I'm in the same boat...but I have four years experience and number 37 on the recall list. I thought that I'd surely get something before summer's end, and now with the first week of school over, I'm getting more discouraged by the day. It seems my first 3 years were the easiest as far as getting a position...it's not supposed to get harder as you move up!

dflemming, it's good you are booked up for subbing at least. I hope you get one of the positions. I haven't had a call at all yet.

31. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Sep 14, 2009

I'm in the same boat too, but I only have 1 year experience. I haven't been able to get any subbing jobs, although I've been looking constantly every day.

Your first post sounded like it came straight out of my head, I lost it the last night of summer vacation in my state. My poor hubby must have thought I went crazy.

And a school bus just drove by :(.

32. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 15, 2009

CHIN UP! Just keep on plugging. Sometimes things happen. And good things happen to good people. Keep trying to sub as much as possible. Gain experience into what good teachers do emulate them and also make note of what BAD teachers do too so that you won't be one of THEM!

33. monsieurteacher

Sep 16, 2009

Woohooooo! I've got an interview for a kindergarten position in an hour!!!!

Crossing my fingers!

It's the first interview I've gotten after a summer of waiting!

34. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2009

Good luck, dfleming!

35. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 16, 2009

Best of luck!

36. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2009

Good luck!!!!!!! Let us know how it went!

37. monsieurteacher

Sep 16, 2009

Interview went ok... it was posted as a Kindergarten position, but it turns out to be a grade one position... she didn't really tell me that until after the first question when I went into detail about my kindergarten experience. It is an inner-city school, so a big concern is behaviour management, and I feel like I had that part of the interview nailed...

One question that I feel was my weak point was when she asked about my grade one curriculum knowledge. Ultimately, I was a bit screwed, as I don't have that much knowledge of the grade one curriculum... Normally of course, I would glance through the grade one curriculum online before an interview, but there was so little time, I barely had time to get home and change!

The other problem is that there is already someone subbing in that class who is also applying for the job... she likely has a leg up on me that way.

I have to admit though, it was WONDERFUL to actually get an interview for a change!

38. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2009

I'm glad it went okay, dfleming. Hopefully you get it or get more interviews soon!

39. monsieurteacher

Sep 16, 2009

Just got a call... I had a very good interview, but they decided to go with someone with specific experience in the grade level over the past few years.

40. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2009

I'm sorry, but at least they already got back to you, so you never had a chance to get your hopes too high.

41. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 16, 2009

:(I am sorry! WOW. But they called. You must have done a good job for them to do that! Most times if you did not get the position, you are just left hanging. That is something to feel positive about. Wishing you good vibes in that the next call will be another job interview and offer! All the best!!!!!!!!!:hugs: